• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help/Advice: Protection Dog

D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷

Banned x2 🤪
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2014
Yuma, AZ
I’m looking for a dog, not just any dog, a dog to protect my family.

Idk if this is even possible but here are my wants:
-family friendly
-mean as fuck if needed.

I want a dog that can be trusted with the kids, stays close, can be trusted in public. Pretty much want the best of both worlds.

I really don’t know where to start. Everyone who has a web page is more than happy to tell me they are the best. I’ve reached out to local SWAT units but they wont even tell me who is “good” and who is to be avoided.

Just looking for some help from like minded people.

My 3 Pits say they are the best.

I have not doubt that about is an amazing Protection Dog but do you have trouble taking them to town? I hear a lot of bad things but I also hear good things.

We currently have a bluetick coonhound and she’s a great hunting dog but she doesn’t scratch the itch for “protection dog”

I have not doubt that about is an amazing Protection Dog but do you have trouble taking them to town? I hear a lot of bad things but I also hear good things.

The only trouble is with people believing the horror stories. My 3 dogs love every one and everything as long as we, their people, are happy. Like most protective dogs, once they claim their humans, they feed off the energy of those people.....good or bad.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Have you considered a German Shepard? My cousin has one. smart, enjoyable to be around and incredibly protective of him, his family and property. Literally never barks unless a stranger approaches the door or grounds. I believe it would rip anyone’s face off if it felt someone was an immediate threat to his wife/kids

We raised pitbulls when I was a kid and before the gangstas had them. They're what they're raised to be. All of ours were as friendly as could be but would become protective if there was aggression towards us.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Believe it or not Australian Shepherds are good candidates for what you have in mind. They aren’t as hyper as Border Collies and have a much stronger bond and protective personality Almost annoying how they need to be in the same room as you. Ours hates the UPS truck and makes the delivery man a little nervou actuall. If the boys are around the dog can be a little too protective when strangers or salesmen show up. You won’t need a doorbell either.

They are still working dogs and some bloodlines are more hyper active than others. They are smart and very well mannered in genera. It helps to raise them around people and socialize them or they can be too protective Our female treats my kids like her own offspring and physically herded them around and out of harms way when they were toddlers.

What you probably need is a barker. Ball mouth blue tick may be just the thing.

My Aussie is the friendliest loving dog you’ll ever meet. But if you knock on my door or pull into the driveway while it’s dark outside a whole other side comes out of him. But they will push you every bit of the way and demand your absolute your full attention.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
Cane corso

BUT if your looking for a protection dog are you actually going to get it trained or just looking for a dog that you hope will fill the role?

if you getting it trained professionally and your going to work with it get the cane corso. If your just looking for a dog to keep in the house that will alert and bite intruders get a cocker spaniel. Those mofos pick their family and bite the hell out of everyone else it seems like.

I’ll probably go with a pit. Though a Doberman had some of my attention.

Inside dog or outside dog?

pit if inside
Doberman if inside/outside

the dobe will take a LOT more work. They are like having a deer in the house.

soend the money and get you a pit from a good breeder.

0CFBE456-FC28-4F96-8457-46D417270E04.jpeg
D0C1C638-22F7-400B-9B0F-5C6BC978BDAC.jpeg

Here is mine he goes almost everywhere with me and he acts pretty good. Pits are not show off dogs though. Spend a lot of time with them as a puppy and they are very loyal.

I'll second the recommendation for a German Shepherd. Each and everyone i've grown up with was so lovable, gentle, bright and when needed appropriately protective. They're absolutely amazing animals, so easy to teach.

They truly become part of the family and they'll do anything they can for you....like the best of best friends. In our experience they're great with kids. Like any animal, you've got to love them back.

I miss each and everyone of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Have 2 pits, always had pits. They are exactly as described; loyal as fuck, harder than scarface, and tougher than a pig snout. Definitely a great "one family" type dog that will test your patience, but reward you greatly.
My brother, has, or had as of recent, 2 Cane Corso. Still has 1. They are a protective dog, period. This is exactly what they were bred for. Loyal like the pit, but a harder train. Their natural prey drives are totally different.
Edit to add, the Corso will slobber the fuck out of everything you own. You've been warned.
I'd trust my family to either

Reactions: Alabusa
My pits (had a few) have always been easy to train but you have to get a crate early on. Ever since I started doing that. I couldn’t ask for a better dog. He has messed up in the house only a few times and twice was because he ate some shit in the back yard that didn’t sit well. He tore some small stuff up as a puppy but once I got a crate that stopped. Now I can leave him out at all times in the house and most of the time you wouldn’t know he’s out.

they are great dogs over all.

Hi,

Whewwwww there is always way to much to ask and/or comment on true personal protection dogs than can be typed.

A few things to remember/consider:

1. A true personal protection dog (I am not talking about a "breed" that should do the job, I am talking tested and tested and tested to guarantee it does the job) will cost you more than you are imagining. I would be willing to bet on that, lol.

2. Less than 5% of personal protection dog candidates (Already pre-selected that is) will actually finish the training required of it as you are asking.

3. How many hours a week can you and your FAMILY dedicate to ongoing training required of such dog you are seeking?

4. What makes you think you want and more importantly can handle such a dog you are seeking?

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
I've had both pits and GSD, a GSD is a better protection dog imo. Much more territorial and are always pack/protection oriented. Pits are great family dogs and a lot of them are plenty smart while being goddamn fearless, but they are totally game/sport oriented and not easily human aggressive at all. They love and play hard as fuck, that's really all that's to a pit imo.

GSD. Had one trained to kill growing up because of my parents work. Was still a sweetheart with my sis and I and would get between us if we argued. Loving animal but god help you if you were on the wrong end of her. In my old age I switched to Rots. Similar personality without the shedding and not as vocal.

Be honest with yourself. If you havent had a dog with a strong personality before (GSDs, Rots, piuts, etc all have them) make sure to get professional training. When young they challenge you constantly in ways you dont recognize and if you dont shut it down they will be bad dogs and potentially dangerous when older. Good owners make good dogs-

I’m looking for a dog, not just any dog, a dog to protect my family.

Idk if this is even possible but here are my wants:
-family friendly
-mean as fuck if needed.

I want a dog that can be trusted with the kids, stays close, can be trusted in public. Pretty much want the best of both worlds.

I really don’t know where to start. Everyone who has a web page is more than happy to tell me they are the best. I’ve reached out to local SWAT units but they wont even tell me who is “good” and who is to be avoided.

Just looking for some help from like minded people.

I'll probably be the completely odd one out going the exact opposite way but here is my question.

Do you need a dog that will do the fighting for you and your wife, or are you capable and prepared to do your own fighting with a bit of a notice?
Do you want to be able to have your friends or guests over or your kids friends over and feel comfortable not worrying about the dogs hurting them?

I might suggest going a different direction and getting a pair of large dogs that are not specifically human aggressive but will have a more natural understanding of threats vs. friends. As well as be rather interested in keeping along side you or your kids, and be able warn you in advance / run interference for you so you can do your own fighting as needed.

An attack dog that is trained to take on folks that are not deterred by a pair of 100 to 150 pound dogs barking and challenging them, is going to probably be a bit more high maintenance / high risk if you are in an urban / suburban area.

Reactions: Maggot
A very close friend of the family had a German Shepard. That dog was very friendly and loveable, even with the kids. One time, people broke into the house to steal but the dog chased them out and got shot. Poor thing made it back to its owners house to die there.

I'm sure a German shepherd will be a great security dog but maintain a very friendly attitude towards you and everyone around, so long as they are not a threat!

• Sad
Reactions: Milf Dots
Hi,

Whewwwww there is always way to much to ask and/or comment on true personal protection dogs than can be typed.

1. A true personal protection dog (I am not talking about a "breed" that should do the job, I am talking tested and tested and tested to guarantee it does the job) will cost you more than you are imagining. I would be willing to bet on that, lol.

2. Less than 5% of personal protection dog candidates (Already pre-selected that is) will actually finish the training required of it as you are asking.

3. How many hours a week can you and your FAMILY dedicate to ongoing training required of such dog you are seeking?

4. What makes you think you want and more importantly can handle such a dog you are seeking?

Sincerely,
Theis

Was about to ask if he was willing to spend $20k-$60k on a real protection dog. And possibly more.

Reactions: kindabitey
Cane corso

BUT if your looking for a protection dog are you actually going to get it trained or just looking for a dog that you hope will fill the role?

if you getting it trained professionally and your going to work with it get the cane corso. If your just looking for a dog to keep in the house that will alert and bite intruders get a cocker spaniel. Those mofos pick their family and bite the hell out of everyone else it seems like.

Fully trained and paying a premium I’m sure.

I'll second the recommendation for a German Shepherd. Each and everyone i've grown up with was so lovable, gentle, bright and when needed appropriately protective. They're absolutely amazing animals, so easy to teach.

They truly become part of the family and they'll do anything they can for you....like the best of best friends. In our experience they're great with kids. Like any animal, you've got to love them back.

I miss each and everyone of them.
As much as I hate to say this as a German, the Belgian Malinois is just as good a family friendly "landshark" but plagued less with genetic disorders like hip dysplasia.

Expect to spend some coin or a good, healthy pup of either breed. Be prepared to spend a lot of effort on training. Those dogs can be a formidable weapon against aggressors and as such require a responsible and trained owner. Yes, the Schutzhund training is about 70% for you, 30% for the dog.

Don't forget to ask K9 officers for their opinions and suggestions.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis

1: set aside $3k for dog and $6k for training

2:that’s great to know because I’ve been asking for a fully trained, turn key dog but I keep hearing I have to supply the dog. I’m not okay with this 95% failure possibility

3: realistically 8-10 hours a week TRAINING but will be “house-training” all day w the family

4: I want this as a very reliable bodyguard for my family that won’t try to seduce my wife while I’m away. I believe I can handle it as I have trained my hunting dog and I really do enjoy the relationship I have with her. Admittedly she is my first dog since leaving the nest but roommates have always had dogs.

As the culture shifts and my profession keeps pushing me to move to a non 2A friendly state I want to be prepared. Most these states are very dog friendly so I figured this is a realistic alternative for my family. I’d rather my wife have lunch on a patio with a fully trained dog should anything happen.

I want my family have the extra time to get out safely.

As much as I’d love to be on a ranch in the middle of the hills enjoying my family, I can’t. My work has me in metropolitan areas and as my career grows the closer I need to be to biotech.

I sincerely appreciate all the wisdom, guidance and push back. I don’t want to mis step on this decision.

As much as I hate to say this as a German, the Belgian Malinois is just as good a family friendly "landshark" but plagued less with genetic disorders like hip dysplasia.

Expect to spend some coin or a good, healthy pup of either breed. Be prepared to spend a lot of effort on training. Those dogs can be a formidable weapon against aggressors and as such require a responsible and trained owner. Yes, the Schutzhund training is about 70% for you, 30% for the dog.

Don't forget to ask K9 officers for their opinions and suggestions.

That’s the breed we have been considering but I didn’t want to bring it up as I was worried it could skew the advice.

I’ve reached out to the local Sheriff and PD. I figure they would know the best trainers in the area.

5A9AF456-04A5-4AF7-AB62-851A4E8BF50E.jpeg

I recommend a Karakachan.

Pros: Big dog (160lbs), barks alot, scares the hell out of people. I completely trust him around our 4 year old since he was a baby, friends kids play with him all the time, people that know him think he is awesome. People that don't know him don't want to get out of their cars. Oh and he brought me the head of a coyote one day. Doesn't mind if its -20 out.

Cons: Barks at anything that is out of the ordinary, sheds a Pomeranian a day, hates the hot weather.

Inside dog or outside dog?

pit if inside
Doberman if inside/outside

the dobe will take a LOT more work. They are like having a deer in the house.

soend the money and get you a pit from a good breeder.

View attachment 7197059View attachment 7197061
Here is mine he goes almost everywhere with me and he acts pretty good. Pits are not show off dogs though. Spend a lot of time with them as a puppy and they are very loyal.
How good is your dog with mag changes? Looks like his rifle in the picture.

I work with dogs a little and my wife works with dogs a lot. I recommend you go to the akc website and find a breed that fits your lifestyle. Do you live in an urban or rural environment? Do you have kids? What age are they? Do you have cats, birds, or other pets? Do you travel a lot? Will the dog have to be boarded when you are away? How much time do you have to spend with the dog everyday? Will you exercise the dog everyday? Do you walk, jog, run, or just throw a ball? How much time will you spend training your dog? Do you have a fenced yard? Will you fence your backyard? Can you lift a big dog? Will a big dog fit in your vehicle? Where can you board it? Will they accept your breed? There are many things that need to be addressed. However, there are now over 200 breeds to pick from and one is likely to be perfect for you. Once you have found a breed that you think will work for you, you need to find a breeder. Your breeder will the the most important part of your buying decision. You want to find a reputable breeder who does health and temperament testing on the sire/dam and is working not to make money but to make a better dog. You can find these breeders through the akc's breeder's of merit program and if you have selected a breed, through the national breed club. Contact the breed club and you can find a list of ethical breeders. Breeders can tell you if their breed will work for you. Most reputable breeders will require a site visit and interview before they sell you a puppy. If you pass, you may have to wait a year for a puppy. Most pet quality puppies for most breeds sell for $1200 to $1500. That cost will be the tip of the iceberg for dog's cost over its lifetime. I think what you want is a watch dog and not a guard dog. Big difference. I think a Labrador retriever might fit the bill nicely, but that's just a guess. If you just need a dog to bark, a jack russell is great. If you need a dog to accompany your wife on walks where there could be trouble, a lab sized dog will probably suffice. If you need a dog to bite someone breaking into your home, you need a big ass dog known to bite. However, a big ass dog known to bite is expensive to feed and extremely hard to find someplace to board if you want to go on vacation without him. Dogs, just like kids, need a lot (LOT) of training. Are you willing to put forth the effort to train your puppy? Like training kids to live in our world, it's not a small investment in time/money to have a nice dog either. It's takes 18+ yrs to train a kid to take care of themselves. It takes a couple of years of training to have a good dog who have much smaller brains. If you can't devote the resources/time for a puppy, I recommend a good alarm system and a gun/pepper spray. The latter will be much cheaper in the long run, but neither will ever love you back and give you a lifetime of service/companionship for no more than a small treat and a pat on the head. We find that most people start looking for training after they have behavioral problems (jumping on guests/kids, tearing up furniture/walls, growling at family, etc.) when the dog is 6 mo to a year old and by then it is too late to correct the problem. You gotta start training as soon as you get the puppy. And for pete's sake, don't get two puppies from the same litter. Good luck!

Belgian Malinois are great- for the right owner. They're VERY deliberate, need a tremendous amount of exercise, and are a handful for most people.

i am surprised rotts arent getting more love.

but then again, i’ve been looking for a quality rott for about 3 years now. people either have inferior lines, live on the other side of the planet, or are bat shit crazy. i dont know what the fuck it is about rott breeders, but finding a breeder that is sane and has good lines that stick to conformation is right next to impossible.
had a bitch for 8 years, best damn dog i ever had. what i wouldnt do for another like her.

One breed I have not seen mentioned is the American Bulldog. Another is a French Mastiff. We have had both at the same time. These breeds are very capable of identifying and deterring/stopping a threat and made great family dogs for us.

Both of our dogs were very friendly towards people and other dogs that did not come looking for trouble. This was because they frequently went to work with my wife at the vet clinic exposing them to everyone and everything that walked through the door. They also had a very good sense of people with bad intentions as was demonstrated in three different instances. Turns out it was a very bad idea to walk up to my wife as she exited and locked the vet clinic she worked at with our 140lb Great Dane and 85lb American Bulldog following at her heals. Who would have thought? I miss my AB, aka Bullit. He has been gone 6 years now. Best dam dog I ever owned.

My wife worked in vet clinics for some 20 years and I can’t count how many dogs/breads were temporarily fostered in our home along with the numerous dogs we owned ourselves. I like the larger bully and mastiff breeds the best but as has been said previously they are not necessarily the best dogs for inexperienced (dog) people. They must be well trained and understand where they stand in the family hierarchy. Once that is firmly established you are pretty much go to go. That takes a lot of time and consistency in training on the front end to make that work but it pays off big for the long term. You don’t want to have a 150lb dog, or any dog for that matter that thinks it is the alpha in the family. It just does not work on any level.

Also do some research and pick a dog that matches your energy/activity level. While all need exercise some need decidedly more then others. I would also not be afraid to own a well-bred pit. While not my personal favorite we have had them, and they can make great and loyal family dogs. At one time they were the most popular breed in the county with good reason.

Best of luck in your search.

Have 2 pits, always had pits. They are exactly as described; loyal as fuck, harder than scarface, and tougher than a pig snout. Definitely a great "one family" type dog that will test your patience, but reward you greatly.
My brother, has, or had as of recent, 2 Cane Corso. Still has 1. They are a protective dog, period. This is exactly what they were bred for. Loyal like the pit, but a harder train. Their natural prey drives are totally different.
Edit to add, the Corso will slobber the fuck out of everything you own. You've been warned.
I'd trust my family to either

Third vote that I've seen for a Cane Corso, and here's a fourth.

They're stupid strong, have a bite pressure beyond belief, love their pack, protect their den, and will die for you. And that's with minimal training. A trained Cane Corso (pronounved "kah-nay kor-so") is absolutely formidable. They aren't cheap, good training is salty, and you might as well be feeding a horse. Slobber and shedding microscopic little hairs is part of their charm.

3ipjbu.jpg

This is an interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading the responses, some varied replies in here.

Dogs that seem to be often overlooked are Great Pyrenese. They were bred to protect - mind you mostly livestock but do a great job defending their house and family if need be. Intelligent, loyal and great family dogs. Generally very wary of strangers, and not afraid to put up a fight if need be. They are a pretty good size, so are intimidating just on that aspect alone.

My wife's family friends have a few that protect their ranch in Texas. These dogs have an active coyote burial ground, they kill anything they don't like on the property. Definitely not afraid to fend off two legged invaders as well, they were intimidating as fuck.

Believe it or not Australian Shepherds are good candidates for what you have in mind. They aren’t as hyper as Border Collies and have a much stronger bond and protective personality Almost annoying how they need to be in the same room as you. Ours hates the UPS truck and makes the delivery man a little nervou actuall. If the boys are around the dog can be a little too protective when strangers or salesmen show up. You won’t need a doorbell either.

They are still working dogs and some bloodlines are more hyper active than others. They are smart and very well mannered in genera. It helps to raise them around people and socialize them or they can be too protective Our female treats my kids like her own offspring and physically herded them around and out of harms way when they were toddlers.

I'll second that.. They are a one family dog and like to have everyone in sight. Ours is fearless when it comes to protecting the kids. Great frisbee dogs as well.

I have a client that is a k-9 officer for a very large police department and I asked him the same questions. The Belgian Malinois is the preferred "attack" dog for most agencies, but is likely overkill as a family protection dog. It needs alot of activity and isnt made to sit home all day and then take a 15 minute walk around the block.

He preferred the German Shepherd, as it socializes better with other dogs, kids, etc. And you dont need a pure bred dog. When his daughter wanted a dog for her home, they went to the animal rescue and got a medium sized one year old terrier/boxer mix. Gave it the proper training and it was good to go. 90% of it is training.

I recommend you go to the akc website and find a breed that fits your lifestyle.

Hi,

Quiet possibly the worse working dog advice on the internet!!!
The AKC is why the GSD in the USA has over a 90% hip dysplasia problem compared to the under 3% for the East Germany (NON AKC) version.
The AKC is why the Rott is pretty much a useless lap breed in the USA right now, as well as the Doberman and many more.

Sincerely,
Theis

One breed I have not seen mentioned is the American Bulldog.

Hi,

Good luck with that!! I had the first and probably still the only AB titled in American Street Ring and that only took me weeding through 14 young adults (That were pre-selected) to find of that could handle being comfortable with an outright fight when they have the chance for flight.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Disclaimer----I apologize upfront for being so blunt in my upcoming comments but ones family protection should not be pampered on hopes and dreams.

What these threads bring out/up is a LOT of wishes and dreams people have of their dog based off scenario A or scenario B, but I would be willing to put money that over 90% of the people that say their dog will protect, yada yada yada will be shocked and let down to see their dog NOT be able to do what they THINK it will do.

It takes a very very very exact K9 to truly be a for real personal protection dog instead of being an intimidating looking but essentially a fake protection dog.

Trust me, just because dog so and so stood between you and some stranger doesn't mean shit in the real world. It is easy to look like a professional boxer when you are the only 1 in the ring and the opponent is not in the ring to fight yet but once that opponent steps in the ring...the REAL professional is seen.

Just because dog so and so aggressively charged the fence when the hoodie wearing mailman got too close, doesn't mean the pooch would not haul ass the other way if the mailman threw a milk jug with rocks in it at him.

Police Dog training and selection is NOT the same as personal protection dog training and selection so seeking advice from Departments is a waste of time. Especially since most drop 20-40k on the 3/4 trained dog and send the handler to the dog to finish the last 1/4 of its' training, so the Departments would not know what it takes to "pick" a protection dog to begin with.

List goes on and on, lol.

@DevilDocAZ

It comes down to the brutal reality of:
1. Are you wanting a dog that will "scare" off the random, crime of opportunity type criminal or one that will function as a unit with you against professional type criminals? If the later then you are going to increase your overall budget significantly.
2. Are you and your family ready to "harden" your home and lifestyle to accommodate a true protection lifestyle?
A. Always back in your garage and leave car running in drive while the garage door closes so that if anyone slides under the door they are seen and you can hit gas and get out of garage?
B. Never pack anything from any store that requires both hands. Never pack anything into your home that requires both hands, etc etc UNLESS you have another person watching.
C. Never get within arms reach of someone that walks up to you that you do not know.
D. Get your wife, daughter, etc to not wear pony tails when out casually in public as they are the best controlling device ever invented. Where the head goes the body follows.
E. List goes on and on.

True security is something most people cannot live the lifestyle of.... because the old motto of "Security is NOT convenient" is a million percent correct.

I suggest you contact @BLKWLFK9 and discuss your desires and wants with him on the phone.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Protection? Pits, GS, Rott are top three in any given order on any day.
Pits are awesome. Nessie, now just over 2 at 6 weeks protected. I had taken her out in front to pee, all cute little rolley poly fatness pup she was, and No3 son's buddy parks gets out of the car and she stops what she is doing. As he walks onto the grass, she gets between me and him, stances, and starts growling and barking, MOVING to keep herself between him and I.
She will lick and nibble you to death, as long as we are fine. When we walk and I stop, she walks either between my legs and tops, facing the rear, or she goes beside me and faces the rear. If I am talking to anyone, she sits between me and them and looks at them and behind me.
Pits train, love to train, and are extremely smart, and if you do not watch it, will train YOU

That seems a rather narrow view of what a "protection dog" is. Not everyone wants or needs a 50 thousand dollar dog that is intelligent as an 8 year old, and prepared to sacrifice their life to save yours.

In my specific case a protection dog:
Keeps predators away from my livestock
alerts me to the presence of something out of the ordinary including people
and demonstrates an intimidation to unfamiliar individuals, however is not a liability and will quickly calm down in situations when needed (so far has been %100 of the time, no biker gangs have assaulted my little farm)

The main thing I required was someone to alert me when people are near our property. My current dogs do that very well, with random barks that people are on the county road, to every increasing barks if they happen to turn up our land to get to the house.

I will admit that the dog that I pictured above would not be a good fit in a town, or city, or apartment. He would alert at everything. But out here in the middle of Montana he is the perfect dog to let me know when one of the 3 people have driven by the house, or someone rode their horse by, or more importantly the UPS/FEDEX man is here. More importantly he is not afraid to chase coyotes or fox off, and I have not had the same issues as the surround places with cougars or wolves. (might be the dog, might not, but he patrols the perimeter fences and barks at anything).

I would think any dog that ripped the throat out of a vacuum salesman or JoHo would be a liability, I mean then I would have to go fire up my back hoe or at the least take their bloody corpse to the pig pen. Seems like more work because the dog isn't going to murder them in a convenient spot (maybe you could train them to drag them to a good place?).

When I think back, the one dog I had that was aggressive to certain people was a Saint Bernard. Great dog and always thought of him as a big teddy bear. Apparently when I wasn't home he wouldn't let the delivery drivers out of their trucks. When I talked to them I asked if he was just growling, they said no he would charge the door and keep them in. That surprised the hell out of me. HE died from cancer later on, but struck me as odd that such a mild mannered dog would be so aggressive when we weren't home (he never did it when the wife and I were home).

Last edited:
Hi,

Quiet possibly the worse working dog advice on the internet!!!
The AKC is why the GSD in the USA has over a 90% hip dysplasia problem compared to the under 3% for the East Germany (NON AKC) version.
The AKC is why the Rott is pretty much a useless lap breed in the USA right now, as well as the Doberman and many more.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Good luck with that!! I had the first and probably still the only AB titled in American Street Ring and that only took me weeding through 14 young adults (That were pre-selected) to find of that could handle being comfortable with an outright fight when they have the chance for flight.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Disclaimer----I apologize upfront for being so blunt in my upcoming comments but ones family protection should not be pampered on hopes and dreams.

What these threads bring out/up is a LOT of wishes and dreams people have of their dog based off scenario A or scenario B, but I would be willing to put money that over 90% of the people that say their dog will protect, yada yada yada will be shocked and let down to see their dog NOT be able to do what they THINK it will do.

It takes a very very very exact K9 to truly be a for real personal protection dog instead of being an intimidating looking but essentially a fake protection dog.

Trust me, just because dog so and so stood between you and some stranger doesn't mean shit in the real world. It is easy to look like a professional boxer when you are the only 1 in the ring and the opponent is not in the ring to fight yet but once that opponent steps in the ring...the REAL professional is seen.

Just because dog so and so aggressively charged the fence when the hoodie wearing mailman got too close, doesn't mean the pooch would not haul ass the other way if the mailman threw a milk jug with rocks in it at him.

Police Dog training and selection is NOT the same as personal protection dog training and selection so seeking advice from Departments is a waste of time. Especially since most drop 20-40k on the 3/4 trained dog and send the handler to the dog to finish the last 1/4 of its' training, so the Departments would not know what it takes to "pick" a protection dog to begin with.

List goes on and on, lol.

@DevilDocAZ

It comes down to the brutal reality of:
1. Are you wanting a dog that will "scare" off the random, crime of opportunity type criminal or one that will function as a unit with you against professional type criminals? If the later then you are going to increase your overall budget significantly.
2. Are you and your family ready to "harden" your home and lifestyle to accommodate a true protection lifestyle?
A. Always back in your garage and leave car running in drive while the garage door closes so that if anyone slides under the door they are seen and you can hit gas and get out of garage?
B. Never pack anything from any store that requires both hands. Never pack anything into your home that requires both hands, etc etc UNLESS you have another person watching.
C. Never get within arms reach of someone that walks up to you that you do not know.
D. Get your wife, daughter, etc to not wear pony tails when out casually in public as they are the best controlling device ever invented. Where the head goes the body follows.
E. List goes on and on.

True security is something most people cannot live the lifestyle of.... because the old motto of "Security is NOT convenient" is a million percent correct.

I suggest you contact @BLKWLFK9 and discuss your desires and wants with him on the phone.

Sincerely,
Theis

I sincerely appreciate your bluntness, it’s exactly what I came here for, I can’t afford to be wrong on this one.

1-I want a gun on a leash when guns are not allowed. Eventually I will have to make the decision to leave my field or move back to CA.

2-yes, we have been making strides in that direction but we are not even close to being where we need to be.
A: we always back in and close the door but admittedly we do not keep the vehicle running. Lesson will be applied moving forward.
B: no, this is a huge problem for the wife and I have been working with her on this. I keep preaching “drop whatever you have and create space. It’s just “stuff”. Realistically we do use the team system but her awareness needs more work. She’s getting there and just needs repetition and more expose to new scenarios. She’s got a willingness to work on it so we are working on it.
C: not good at this. Your normal trip to costco makes this all but impossible. Also give problems to “B” as well.
D: this was my first scenario and ponytails are not authorized.
E: I know, and I really want a trained protection dog that will rival any working dog.

I know what I want will not come easy or cheaply. The advice here has been well worth asking the question.

This dog will be a tool. Sometimes you lose a tool in the field...I’m okay with this. If leaving the dog lets my family flee and we lose the dog FOREVER, I’m okay with that as long as my family is safe.

If you will have neighbors semi close by you might want to avoid Great Pyrenees. They are awesome dogs but the like to be outside and will bark all night. While that may give you comfort your neighbors will likely complain after they haven’t slept in a week.

Check with your insurance company before you get ANY breed that could be remotely aggressive. There are a LOT more breeds out there than just pit bulls that they will cancel your policy over.

Reactions: Alabusa
Check with your insurance company before you get ANY breed that could be remotely aggressive. There are a LOT more breeds out there than just pit bulls that they will cancel your policy over.

This is important that a lot seem to forget. Society treats "protection dogs" as liabilities. A true working fur missile of a K9 will come at a trade-off of a lot of $$$, liability, and work.

The suggestion to talk to @BLKWLFK9 is a great one, I'm sure he can candidly discuss the options and trade-offs for different types of protection dogs better then most on here.

Is a cartel after you or something? Watch The Fugitive one too many times? What kind of shady fucking hood are you planning to move to? All you have to be is a little less soft than a couple of your neighbors and chances are you won’t ever have problems. California isn’t Venezuela quite yet

Good luck man, I’m sure glad I don’t have to worry about any of that shit. I still vote for an Aussie and the playing frisbee in the park over fucking around with a weaponized defense wolf. That sounds fucking stressful. Seriously I do hope whatever you find gives you piece of mind when you’re away from home.

• Haha
Reactions: kthomas