• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NEED HELP!!! ATN ThOR problems

186thFCo

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2017
I just picked up a new ATN ThOR-HD 1.25-5 384, from optics planet. I went to zero it in today with my AR-10 and it didn't even come close to holding a zero @ 50 yards. and I'm talking my groups if you want to call them groups, where about a 5" spread, it looked like I shot buckshot at the target. Just to be sure I put my regular scope on and shot a group, thinking it might be the ammo for some reason. I grouped fine, under 1" MOA. I went and try zeroing again this time I put the thermal on my 300 BO and got the same results. I went through the manual to make sure that all the settings where right, they were. I'm pretty upset that I spent all this money and it doesn't work. I think I might just send it back and order something else. Is there anything you can think of to fix this???

list of things I checked

- Checked all the settings to be sure they were correct
- I loaded the newest firmware (no I didn't crash the sight)
- I made sure I selected the right sight in the settings menu
- Went through youtube for answers and didn't find much
- mounts being too loose

Send it back if you can and get something else, ATN is junk.

I'd recommend a FLIR PTS233, IMO it's the best thing out there right now for an entry level thermal sight.

I was looking into that, or the pulsar core, or their Apex series

Top tier image of the non-mil thermals. I wouldn’t use one as a clip on but as a dedicated weapon sight they are really nice. The patrol line is good as a handheld/head mount but I’d probably opt for the old Q14 640 instead as it’s form factor is much nicer (and it doubles as a short range weapon sight).

This is my "go to" hunting/critter control setup ... (click on pic for larger view)

jdpIxin.jpg

Patrol on the left side (of the helmet)
14 plus PAS-29 on the right side (of the helmet)

Mk3 60mm on the carbine
cqbl ir-laser on the carbine

I have speed of engagement while moving with the 14 + pas29 and the ir-laser and intermediate distance spotting with the patrol
The mk3 60mm adds long distance spotting as well as short (out to 300yds) distance engagement.

HAHAHA yeah i learned the hard way FML, at least i was able to send it back and get a different one without any headaches

I have several ATN's and what I have personally found is that the electronics are sound, the soldering isn't. I am an electrical engineer and when the first ATN Thor HD I bought just suddenly stopped working I figured as much. I removed the screws and sure enough it had a loose solder joint, quick fix. Also, the Thor LT is highly modifiable if you want to get a budget Thermal. The most expensive parts on thermal scopes hands down are the lenses, you can't find a used one (just one!) on eBay made out of Germanium for less than $300. So I did a little digging and found that ZnSe lenses for C02 laser cutters pass the same wavelength of light as Germanium, and they are $20-$40 on Amazon. Just remove the ring holding the old lens, get your focal length adjusted and you've got a much better, clearer image that rivals scopes over $4000. Since they are digital it doesn't matter about purging it out with some noble gas either. (I've also modified them for much further telephoto capabilities using combinations of ZnSe lenses)
I just posted some pics of a ThOR LT I modified with ZnSe lenses. I think total was about $1200. The graphics processor can handle the larger images it's just scaled down. At 60Hz refresh rate it's good for about 250 yard now on .224 Valkyrie. The other picture is the actual screen, it's just a small LCD with a Focus Lens behind it to give the "feel" of a scope I guess.

Attachments

• 20200705_084639.jpg
    20200705_084639.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 377
  • 20200705_084631.jpg
    20200705_084631.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 20200705_084711.jpg
    20200705_084711.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Agree on the ATN Thor HD, I had one, it was unfinished (see full review in practicing thread from Nov 16. I sent mine back.

Also the Pulsar rXq30v is the low end space entry from pulsar, but neither that pulsar not the PTS233 have manual focus they are fixed at short distance and not very usable beyond 100yds.

https://www.hueyoutdoors.com/product/rxq30v-core-1-6-6-4x22-thermal-riflescope/
I have used most of the thermals in the low to mid range category. The PTS233 is no longer manufactured as Flir stepped out of the civilian market for scopes. Both the RXQ and the PTS233 struggle in high humidity. The best value I have found in the lower end of the thermal market currently is the Hogster 35 from Bering Optics. The image of both mentioned aren't in the same league as the Hogster and the Hogster does have a manual focus, color reticles and backgrounds, and a 4 year warranty. Most people who look through the Hogster-R 35 or 25 will swear it is a 640 thermal.

Here is a coyote hunt using it.

Last edited:
New chinese thermals (i.e. thermals with mostly chinese parts) do have some "shock and awe" on the image front mostly due to his res. displays (1024+) ... but in my experience, the majority of them (ATN and AGM for instance) don't stand up in the field (multiple sub-system failures from day one). Others, like the pulsars ... sometimes work flawlessly for years and other times fail right out of the box.
But in general, if you are using your thermals in the field 200+ nights per year ... I would at least set your expectations around the idea of having some issues. Though again, some brands may do a better job than others and as always YMMV.
:)

New chinese thermals (i.e. thermals with mostly chinese parts) do have some "shock and awe" on the image front mostly due to his res. displays (1024+) ... but in my experience, the majority of them (ATN and AGM for instance) don't stand up in the field (multiple sub-system failures from day one). Others, like the pulsars ... sometimes work flawlessly for years and other times fail right out of the box.
But in general, if you are using your thermals in the field 200+ nights per year ... I would at least set your expectations around the idea of having some issues. Though again, some brands may do a better job than others and as always YMMV. :)
Very valid point. One thing I will note, in the last 3 years, I have tested (prostaff for Night Goggles) or owned thermal or digital night vision devices from Flir, PRG, Pulsar, Sightmark, Trijicon, ATN, and Bering Optics to name a few. The Hogster is the only thermal or digital night vision device I have used for any substantial length of time that has not once locked up, glitched, or had something unexplainable happen where I had to restart the device. Between using it as a scanner or weapon's sight, it saw more than 300 hours of use and it was flawless. It wasn't mounted on a high recoil weapon as it spent most of the time on my AR-10 22-250 but still exceeded my expectations. In addition, it was used during ND winter conditions with actual temperatures below zero on many occasions. Night Goggles has been selling a lot of these and comments on quality have been outstanding so far. The 4 year warranty should help with any concern on durability, but yes we will find out more about this thermal once it has been used for 4+ years. After testing the Hogster-R 35, I immediately purchased one myself. I am coming up on 1 year of use with no issues, so based on consumer feedback from Night Goggles Customers and my personal experience, this brand seems to be doing very well.

Last edited:
But in general, if you are using your thermals in the field 200+ nights per year ... I would at least set your expectations around the idea of having some issues. Though again, some brands may do a better job than others and as always YMMV.
:)
Very true. From what I know just working with the electronics the commercial brands do not have enough "cushioning" to take the daily brunt of gun recoil. The mil-spec thermal scope boards have rubber grommets and epoxy resins to help with that. A couple of years ago I contacted several vendors in China (madeunchina.com) about some thermal scopes and they all seemed really shady....

Having taken apart my ThOR LT 4-8x thermal scope a few times to fix a few separate issues, I have a two simple fixes that don't require buying anything, and that might sound hard to people who don't generally take electronic gadgets apart but I swear are actually very easy and were discovered through sheer guessing. I have shaky hands and knew nothing about the system when I first took it apart, I just knew I wasn't gonna shell out the ridiculous amount of $ they were asking to have it serviced (and that was before S&H costs).

Tools needed:

medium-small hex wrench (3/32)
small hex wrench (5/64)
eyeglasses screwdriver (Philips head)

That's it. I said you don't need to buy anything because most people have an Allen wrench set and some tiny screwdrivers sitting in a drawer in their garage, but if you don't have the latter, you can get a fine set for ten bucks on Amazon like overnight.

OKAY, here we go. Two different symptoms of two different wire-disconnections--I'll divide my fixes by "WHAT ISSUE ARE YOU HAVING?"

1. "It'll turn on when it's plugged in, but won't accept any battery charge and so it shuts off as soon as it's disconnected from power."

WHAT'S WRONG:

There's a wire/cable from the battery to the motherboard that's gotten disconnected at the motherboard end. There's a white plastic plug that fits/slides into the back (inside-facing side) of the USB-C port/hub/bus/controller whatchamacallit which is attached--obviously, since you can see where the charging port is even before taking the thing apart--to the very edge of the big computer chip.

HOW INTERNET DUDE FIXED THIS:

Okay so, as far as I can tell, it's just a cheap Chinese part from Shenzhen (a theme that will repeat later) and the bit that clicks into place is weak. The plug is mostly held in by friction, not by the tiny snaptrap, and the friction is STRONG. When you take out the ThOR's Battery+Chip innards, this bit will probably not look like it has disconnected, even if this is your problem. Even if it has disconnected to the point of not receiving battery power, it will take more force than you expect to get it in or out all the way; take it out and put some saline gel on the end of the plug if you happen to have some. Otherwise just shove in the plug that last half-a-millimeter with your thumbnail. This, too, will take more force than you expect. Try not to yank anything else as you do this. If this was your problem, you should see/notice the plug making sliiight progress inward. I pushed the plug in one edge at a time because my hands were too big to grip both sides at once, and noticed the side I pushed in was "more in" than the side I hadn't shoved. When I shoved the other side in, I heard a veeeery quiet click, but my ears are very good-you might not hear it.

2. "Fucking thing won't accept charge and just won't turn on at all. It's fucked." or "I hear the click of it turning on, and see a blink of light through the eyelens, but after that, nada."

WHAT'S WRONG.

It's trying to draw power through the battery and can't. Again. It's the flip side of #1: the ribbon cable/wire, also connecting the battery and motherboard but this time more sneakily, fits into the crack between the "little plastic nose" of a projector which sits just past the lens you look through and the big [BATTERY+CHIP] body. These are connected by three screws. This ribbon cable is liable to come out of either end of this setup, but I find it's much more likely to slide out of the battery-end, which is what I'm referring to, in this scenario (the plastic projector bit is screwed onto the plastic battery house). This ribbon wire has no click, and is a little bitch, and its port is hard to see down there in the crack. But yeah, it's there. And the ribbon cable, like the plug, is designed to be detachable so no harm done to the machine, just bad manufacturing practice. Honestly, this isn't even China's fault, this is ThOR's fault this time--ribbon cables are meant to be barred in in situations where they're def not supposed to come out, and ThOR just didn't seem to put a bar blocker on it. Da fuq, homies? NOTE: this issue miiight have been caused by my big shaky hands on my first round of "fixing" lol, not sure if it's common "in the wild."

HOW INTERNET DUDE FIXED THIS:

You don't have to undo the three screws, and I advise you don't if you have big shaky hands like me because I had a devil of a time gettin' it back on. Just maybe loosen 'em a bit, and shine a bright lamp into the crack so you can se the white plastic rim of the slot that the ribbon fits into. It doesn't go in very far, and it doesn't hold in very hard, but since the pieces it connects are locked together by screws, it's alright I guess. When you get the ribbon into the right position to push it into its slot, you'll feel it. When you push it into the slot, it'll only go like two millimeters, and you won't feel any serious resistance but you'll feel a slight rubbing. If you have sensitive fingers, it's pretty satisfying, actually, kinda like threading a needle and feeling the thread purr at your success.

OTHER NOTES:

The plastic battery casing from Shenzhen isn't meant to absorb the shock of a rifle firing and I have no idea why ThOR thought it would be okay, but uh, when I first opened up my thermal scope, ALL FOUR of the plastic screw holsters in my battery casing meant to accept screws passing through the motherboard, to affix the motherboard to the battery securely, were irrecoverably busted. I've got no idea what ThOR was thinking, trusting that case with the security of the power i/o cables. The fact that that chip isn't secure is probably the real reason the power i/o keeps getting messed up internally. Does this fuckup does affect the trueness of the aim? Not terribly. I still get groupings the size of my fist at 100 paces. Neither the thermal sensor nor the eyepiece projector depend on the physical stability of the chip, expect that it doesn't bvreak or yank out its cables. Plus, you can use the plug-cable itself as cushioning to wiggle it all into a secure configuration. Overall, it's been a comical ride, but hey, three years of varmint popping and she still works, by the skin of her teeth.

Reactions: JackofUtility
I have several ATN's and what I have personally found is that the electronics are sound, the soldering isn't. I am an electrical engineer and when the first ATN Thor HD I bought just suddenly stopped working I figured as much. I removed the screws and sure enough it had a loose solder joint, quick fix. Also, the Thor LT is highly modifiable if you want to get a budget Thermal. The most expensive parts on thermal scopes hands down are the lenses, you can't find a used one (just one!) on eBay made out of Germanium for less than $300. So I did a little digging and found that ZnSe lenses for C02 laser cutters pass the same wavelength of light as Germanium, and they are $20-$40 on Amazon. Just remove the ring holding the old lens, get your focal length adjusted and you've got a much better, clearer image that rivals scopes over $4000. Since they are digital it doesn't matter about purging it out with some noble gas either. (I've also modified them for much further telephoto capabilities using combinations of ZnSe lenses)
I just posted some pics of a ThOR LT I modified with ZnSe lenses. I think total was about $1200. The graphics processor can handle the larger images it's just scaled down. At 60Hz refresh rate it's good for about 250 yard now on .224 Valkyrie. The other picture is the actual screen, it's just a small LCD with a Focus Lens behind it to give the "feel" of a scope I guess.
EDude, anyway can get a little more information on this? I'm following you about changing out the lens but did you match the size with existing or make it larger?

Can we chat about the mods you made to the ATN Thor LT?

My ATN thor 1.25-5 holds zero on several rifles with my Bobro mount, over the last four-ish years that I've owned it.. In fact I just shot it a week ago.

I would check your mount setup. Are you sure you haven't accidentally switched rifle profiles? The thor can store 6 different profiles. That could be your issue.

My ATN thor 1.25-5

I'm kinda thinking it's not an issue anymore.

I just picked up a new ATN ThOR-HD 1.25-5 384, from optics planet. I went to zero it in today with my AR-10 and it didn't even come close to holding a zero @ 50 yards. and I'm talking my groups if you want to call them groups, where about a 5" spread, it looked like I shot buckshot at the target. Just to be sure I put my regular scope on and shot a group, thinking it might be the ammo for some reason. I grouped fine, under 1" MOA. I went and try zeroing again this time I put the thermal on my 300 BO and got the same results. I went through the manual to make sure that all the settings where right, they were. I'm pretty upset that I spent all this money and it doesn't work. I think I might just send it back and order something else. Is there anything you can think of to fix this???

list of things I checked

- Checked all the settings to be sure they were correct
- I loaded the newest firmware (no I didn't crash the sight)
- I made sure I selected the right sight in the settings menu
- Went through youtube for answers and didn't find much
- mounts being too loose

Reactions: JackofUtility