• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help choosing a caliber..Free Opinons here!

Re: Need help choosing a caliber..Free Opinons here!

I to have been trying to decide on a caliber and have opted for the 6.5x47 lapua. Depends what you are using the gun for. Mine is going to be hunting at long distance. Prarie dogs and coyotes mostly.

I started 1000yd matches with a 300wm 5r, next was a 50dtc, on to a 338lm, 375 cheytac, 7mm saum and now a 223 AI...they all are fun to shoot but shooting the 223 AI the most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tac57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot a 700 Rem .308 my adult life. It is all stock with a nice local gun shop scope. I am wanting to move up to a nice custom gun with a long range caliber. I sure like the AI in the .338 Lap, but I am not sure that would be the best choice. I have plenty of self taught shooting experience with a longest kill (deer) of 825 yards. I know that is not far for a lot of you, but that was a great shot for me. I really would like to spend the rest of my adult life learning the 1000+ shot constantly. What caliber would you all recommend and what brand or gun smith would you recommend. I am in the Houston area. Thanks for all your help!!! </div></div>

Plenty of good calibers out there.
Look at 6.5mm bullets- 260 and 6.5x47 are ballistically step up from 308 but still same action/mags. Also, 6.5mm bullets work slightly better with bigger game too EDIT compared to 243.

Sidenote: I dont see any sense shooting deers with such a long bullet flight times. Meaning that far. So many things can go wrong, no matter how good shooter you are.
Respect game you are hunting.

7mm Rem Mag gets my vote. Cheap to reload, easy to find bullets etc...