• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need help choosing a NF scope

patrick021

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
I have a 308 and i am building a 338 lapua need help choosing a NF NXS scope power for both. Going to use them for hunting and target shooting. Thanks

Re: Need help choosing a NF scope

I was looking at the 5.5-22 and the 8-32 but is the 8-32 to much at long yardage?

Biggest problem with the 8-32 is the limited elevation adjustment (65 MOA, compared to 100 MOA on the 5.5-22).

My .338 wears the 5.5-22x56, while I run 3.5-15x50 on my .308 rifles.

I run a NF 8-32 on my Win Mod70SA .308 with a 20moa EGW rail, I have never had an issue with running out of elevation out to 1200yds.
Crank the power down to 8X and you can hunt at shorter distance's.
The 8-32 would be my choice again.
Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My .338 wears the 5.5-22x56, while I run 3.5-15x50 on my .308 rifles.</div></div>I would do exactly this, except I would get 50mm in both.

The 8-32X56 is a good scope with the 338 as you can just fit it with the right base, but with the 308 will likely bother you with its lack of travel.

The 5-22X50 (you don't need the 56 at this power)is a nice lower profile choice that is impossible to go wrong with.

Get the Zero stop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a few guys the run the 5.5-22x50mm for hunting. I prefer the 3.5-15x50mm for hunting.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

Agreed. I have both and prefer the lower power for hunting.

are you trying to use one scope between the two rifles? if you have to get one scope, i would go 5.5-22, but it would be nice to know what your going to be doing with that 308 to really tell you what would work best

I am going to target shoot with the 308 and hunt with the 338.

5.5-22 max in that case. it is a great scope. What reticle are you thinking of ? NPR-1 is very popular.

I have the 5.5 - 22 X 50 on my .308 with a NP-R2 reticle and the 3.5 - 15 X 50 with the MLR reticle on my Rock River Predator Pursuit AR.

I would think the 5.5 - 22 would be a good choice for your builds if you are only going with one. I like the NP-R2 but see lot recommend the NP-R1 too.

Good luck. I have been pleased with my NF's...JaxOps

Have hunted and killed rocks with both. 5.5 x22 x 50 will work great for you.

I use the NPR-1 and found it to work good for both as well.

good luck. You can't go wrong with the NF

i'm probably go 5.5-22 on both, for target shooting on a 308, you'd probably like the extra magnification. it's also a good magnification range for the lapua, plus you get a ton of adjustment. i run a 5.5-22x56 on my 280AI hunting rifle

I am a lucky owner of both a NF NXS 3.5-15X-50 with NPR1 and a Vortex Razor HD 5-20X-50 and after a weekend with both I am wanting to sell my Nightforce. I like them both but I just find the Razor a little better in a few areas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patrick021</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to target shoot with the 308 and hunt with the 338. </div></div>

I prefer a 3.5-15x50mm for 308, hunting, and really world field shooting. I like the 5.5-22x50mm for the bigger rifles if you’re shooting out past 800yds / belly rifles. The good thing about the 22x is you can drop it down to 11x and everything doubles (0.5mils becomes 1mil or 1moa becomes 2moa).

I used a 3.5-15x50mm SFP MIL Scope on this 308 rifle and it rock all the way out to 1k at this match it targets range from 10yds to 715yds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OxMlOyt0wOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mike @ CST

I'm on my 5th NF, all of them but the current one have been 56mm, when I went to a 50mm i lost alot of clarity, especially at dusk ? Do you guys think is maybe a bad scope or just the differnce with a smaller bell?