• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help deciding on stock for 308 AR

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
My MWS came with a SOPMOD (duh its an LMT) and generaly speaking its my prefered carbine stock however shooting prone with it sucked.

Looking to replace with either a magpul ACS or UBR. Overall I'm leaning towards the UBR but I'm wondering how the cheekweld would be compared to the more SOPMOD styled ACS. Optic used will be a USO SN-4 1-6 in a 1.5 Larue SPR mount.

Any input regarding this is appreciated.

Re: Need help deciding on stock for 308 AR

Like your optic/mount choice! I run the UBR and PRS on my guns.
I have found the UBR to be one of the best built stocks on the market. I also like the cheekweld with optics and just about everything about the stock. The PRS is better for prone and what I run with my .308 the UBR is great for 3 gun and what I run on my .223 JMHO

I'd go with the UBR as well. It should be more versatile than the PRS unless you're going to shoot the MWS exclusively from the prone.

So... when are we going to get a range report on the MWS?

I really like the PRS on a heavier barreled rifle, it can offer alot to balance out a weapon with a longer or thicker barrel.

With a carbine I feel there are better options available...

Initial range report in the MWS thread. Had a hell of a time zeroing the MK4 nothing to do with the rifle. Once I got it sighted in it easily shot about .5" at 100yds (5rnd groups).

Had a few ammo related issues as I didnt FL resize the brass as it was loaded specificly for my bolt gun. Going to cook up 500rnds of my special 175smk and varget loads using factory new brass. It has a 1/10 twist and seems to like the 175 pills.

Thanks for the info on the stocks. Pretty set on the UBR but I have some concerns regarding a post I read by Kevin Boland (KAC) where he advises against using short buffers and springs with the SR-25. The mws is the EXACT same lower and uses the same extended buffer tube.

Spoke with Magpul earlier today and the reccomend the heavy buffer from...heavybuffers.com go figure lol. Magpul suggested I didnt have anything to be concerned about if this set up is used.

Conficting info between KAC and Magpul has me second guessing the UBR.

BTW been sandbagging posting pics untill its all set up. Aside from the stock, I need to put optics on it as well as BUIS, Rail covers, a Geiselle trigger and a bipod. Once its all done I'll put up a more in depth review with pics. I'm most curious to see how it does with non match ammo such as radway or other surplus 308.

Kevin knows his rifles,

but Magpul is unlikely to recommend stuff that won't work...

I have seen/heard and read about alot of people using slash's buffer and UBRs and they had no complaints.

They weren't all SR25s but a few were.

My carbine running the heavybuffer for the ar10 carbine eats buffer detents...solution is run without a detent.

Has Magpul come out with a 308 UBR?
If not what are my options for a MWS? PRS is too heavy. SOPMOD what else?
I run UBR's on all my AR platformed guns (kinda like 'em)

Pat