• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Need help due to delay after firing pin dropping before ignition

Toast

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 9, 2011
    So Cal
    I was shooting my Desert Tech SRS-A1 gen 2 in .338 Lapua Magnum today. It was really hot.

What happens is, the trigger falls and I can distinctly hear the hammer striking the firing pin. It is a metallic sound going all the way back through the chassis. (Bullpup design.) Then, about a tenth of a second later, boom. As a result, I couldn't do better than 3 moa. I've never been able to hear a gap between the hammer strike and report before.

I'm using BHA brass and 300 gr. Berger Hybrid targets with 88 grains of Accurate Mag Pro.

I screwed up. I used regular large rifle primers, CCI's and not Large Rifle Magnum primers. This is the only thing I can think of that would be causing it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Or storing ammo bullet down. I get this with my .300 H&H loads. I just turn the case upside down give it a couple of shakes. Not saying this is your problem though.

Never thought of that. However, I stored them in an Amazon box, laying on their sides.

What’s the fill % on your load? Mo’ Fuller, mo’ better for ignition.

Go to federal 215 Magnum Match, or Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers.

I played with different primers in my 338LM, and had the same issues back in the day....

Reactions: silentwoods
    I had a similar issue with a 30-06 a while back. It ended up being the powder/primer combination in that particular chamber. Same load in a different rifle worked fine.

Same here with my .300WM with Large Rifle primers and RL22 powder. Switched to Magnum primers and all was well, hang-fires were gone.

I was shooting my Desert Tech SRS-A1 gen 2 in .338 Lapua Magnum today. It was really hot.

What happens is, the trigger falls and I can distinctly hear the hammer striking the firing pin. It is a metallic sound going all the way back through the chassis. (Bullpup design.) Then, about a tenth of a second later, boom. As a result, I couldn't do better than 3 moa. I've never been able to hear a gap between the hammer strike and report before.

I'm using BHA brass and 300 gr. Berger Hybrid targets with 88 grains of Accurate Mag Pro.

I screwed up. I used regular large rifle primers, CCI's and not Large Rifle Magnum primers. This is the only thing I can think of that would be causing it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    WTF

Sorry, I haven't loaded any more and re-tried it. Been busy. I too am leaning toward wrong primers.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps
    Could be a hang-fire, or very slow lock-time on the trigger itself. If hang-fire, are you using small primers in what would normally be a large primer? Edit: Nevermind, I see you are using 338LM, that has never had a small primer variant. Have you tried magnum primers (work up again) or different primers? That big delay would mess anyone's groups up. Let us know if the suggestions helped. I shot a bunch of 338LM, using very slow powders such as 50 cal powders but have always used Federal Lg Magnum primers. Never an issue with long lock time or delayed ignition. The bullpup configuration might account for lock time due to the distance involved, but I've heard the DT triggers are very good despite them being bullpup.