• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help finding a good value ($350) longer range mil mil scope for .222

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
My old rifle scope finally died, I bought it in 1976. Served me well for many years but it broke. It's for a .222 Remington rifle that i shoot benchrest type local meets.

If at all possible it would be great if it was at least 16x, and mil mil format.

Hoping to find some good options for less than or equal to $350. I know it's not a lot of money but it's all i have to spend.

Thought about the Sightron Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x x50 which runs app $315. Some note the poor quality of the turrets so i'm a bit concerned about taking a chance on it. I could sure use some help/direction.

Fingers crossed there will be a good 4th of July sale.

thanks

SWFA 16x fixed power scope is a good value. I shot with one for a long time and only upgraded because I wanted to, not because the 16x was significantly holding me back.

I have both swafa12x and argos6-24. Optical quality is comparable, retical and mag range offer superior capability on the Argos. Yes the turrets are a little mushy but have always been accurate, must be something to bitch about when nothing else is wrong.

If you had to spend less $350 or less, you would be hard pressed to find anything with better durability/reliability/tracking than the SWFA SS line. I would look at the 10x/12x models, as I have heard that the 16x's optical clarity and resolution suffers a bit with the high mag. The other option is to go with one of the Athlon scopes like you mentioned.

If the budget allows, or you are willing to save up a bit you should take a look at the SWFA SS 3-15, which is available in SFP and FFP and is about $500-700 if I recall correctly. Athlon also has some enticing options in this price range if you can swing it. I know SWFA is having a 10% off everything sale for July 4th, and they might have more specific deals on select scopes. I would be willing to bet that some of the vendors here could hook you up with a discount as well, like Cameraland.

Here you go: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/camera-lands-july-4th-sale.6892421/

thank you both...that helps a lot.

This is a great website, i always learn a lot here. A few years back someone on the forum was kind enough to point me to a clearance sale on a riflescope for another rifle and that worked out very well.

I'm going to purchase something in the coming days most likely if the sales prove to be significant.

Will not rule out the Athlon then. Will also read about the SWFA.

Yeah check out the Athlon Midas BTR that cameraland has on sale... it is regularly like $550, and it is on sale for $335 so its right in your budget. Seems like a pretty decent score for your price range and it has a lot of features.

Reactions: Stickshift
In your price bracket, it is really hard to beat the SWFA SS scopes.
If you want to consider a target dot, the Mueller 8-32 is really a dandy scope.

I believe cameraland NY is still running the special on the athlon midas, they have a 4.5-27 for like 340. Its second focal plane but since youre shooting in bench that shouldnt be an issue. It would be what youre used to probably. Give them a a call, they are great to work with and if they carry it they want to also have it for the lowest price to hide members.

I believe cameraland NY is still running the special on the athlon midas, they have a 4.5-27 for like 340. Its second focal plane but since youre shooting in bench that shouldnt be an issue. It would be what youre used to probably. Give them a a call, they are great to work with and if they carry it they want to also have it for the lowest price to hide members.

It is always our pleasure to work with the members here.

Yes, we are running the Athlon Midas BTR's in your choice of the 1-6, 2.5-15 or 4.5-27 for only $339.99

If there's a different optic that interests you please give us a call to discuss it.

I've been running a Falcon M18+ on my 6.5 Creedmoor rifle.

Magnification: 4-18x, FFP
Objective lens dia.: 44mm
Tube dia.: 30mm
Reticle: B28 Mil
Elev. / Wind Adj.: 0.1 Mil clicks
Side focus adj.
Sunshades and flip up lens covers included
Recoil tested up to .338 Lapua

In full disclosure, I've only shot out to 200yds with it (hoping to remedy that soon), but I am very happy with this scope. Great image quality, especially in this price range. You can get one from SWFA for ~$350.

https://swfa.com/falcon-4-18x44-m18-30mm-riflescope.html

Thanks everyone. Will read up on the referenced models.
gr8fuldoug, i really appreciate the offer. My better half reminded me we have bills to pay and couldn't i just move a scope from another rifle onto this one. I guess she has a point but i'm going to save my shekels just in case.