• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help Finding M2 Ball Ammo for M1 Garand

USAF SP

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Western Washington
Recently picked up an M1 Garand and would like to buy some M2 ball ammo for it. I do reload but want to run the GI stuff through it to see how it shoots. I live near Tacoma Washington. Anyone know where I can pick some up? I've checked all the local sports stores and gun shops with no luck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich

Re: Need Help Finding M2 Ball Ammo for M1 Garand

Can't help you on the local front, but CMP did have a good stock of Greek/HXP M2 ball in stock and available through the e-store. Not sure if they still have the good stuff on en bloc clips in bandoliers, or just loose packs, but it is good ammo for the Garand, reliable and good brass if you want to reload later down the line.

I was recently at the south store in Anniston. They have plenty of M2 ball in the Garand enblocs.

CMP M2 ball in enblocs

M2 Ball, .30-06 Greek HXP (Pyrkal) manufacture. Packaged
in 8 rd enbloc clips, 6 clips per bandoleer, 4 bandoleers
per .30 cal can. 192 rds in a .30 cal can. Boxer primed,
non-corrosive. Headstamp varies HXP62-HXP80. THIS AMMO
ATTRACTS A MAGNET. Wgt is 15 lbs per can.

$96.00 per can plus S&H $8.95 per can.
Alaska & Hawaii S&H $14.95 per can.

Atleast load some ammo until you find some factory M2 ball ammo for it. I've shot a few hundred rounds through my M1 and I haven't fired a factory loaded round in it yet.

Hog Rider,

I've got a good source if you are interested. PM headed your way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recently picked up an M1 Garand and would like to buy some M2 ball ammo for it. I do reload but want to run the GI stuff through it to see how it shoots. I live near Tacoma Washington. Anyone know where I can pick some up? I've checked all the local sports stores and gun shops with no luck.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rich </div></div>

CMP is the best place for M2 ball.. However you'll get much better results if you reload.

Top target is HXP (M2 ball):
sr1hxp.jpg

Bottom target is reloads:

sr1reload.jpg

8 shots in each, 100 yards. If you sorted the M2 ball, and did some work you might improve it some.. But for the same effort you could just reload.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BFMF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric, just out of curiosity, what kind of load recipie are you using? </div></div>

That was N140 with 155gr Lapua Scenar. I'll need to go back to my notes and find the powder charge. I'll update the post when I find it.

Eric

An "M1 loads that work well for different applications", would be interesting; either here or in the Ammo section.

+1 on cmp

You will need to meet the purchase requirements to buy. Not a big hurdle, but it has to be done none the less. You can look but probably won't beat their price ($0.50/round and only $8.95 shipping per 200 rounds). Just got 1000 rounds of loose hxp the other day and couldn't be happier.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Thanks again for the info. I doubt the moderators will want to have a section dedicated for reloads due to liability issues (it would be nice to have though)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hog Rider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks again for the info. I doubt the moderators will want to have a section dedicated for reloads due to liability issues (it would be nice to have though) </div></div>

I know you are relatively new here, but in case you've missed it...we already have an EXTENSIVE reloading section here on the Hide, including a section with TONS of load data. See here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=13&page=1

Ericc,

Damn good shooting!

I've got a ladder test of 175SMK and Hogdon Bechmark to run through my Garand as soon as i get some time away from work.

A couple of questions for you:
1. Did you shoot the handloaded groups with a scope or iron sights? If with a scope, what mount are you using?
2. Are you rolling with an adjustable gas plug? if so, which do you prefer the schuster or mcgann?

Post up your recipes when u log back in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ericc,

Damn good shooting!

I've got a ladder test of 175SMK and Hogdon Bechmark to run through my Garand as soon as i get some time away from work.

A couple of questions for you:
1. Did you shoot the handloaded groups with a scope or iron sights? If with a scope, what mount are you using?
2. Are you rolling with an adjustable gas plug? if so, which do you prefer the schuster or mcgann?

Post up your recipes when u log back in. </div></div>

Ok I found the load data for the target listed above.

1. HXP-65 Cases second reload on the case.
2. Wolf Large Rifle primers.
3. N140 Powder 49.0gr (~2700 fps)
4. COL = 3.307"
5. No Crimp

This load might be outside of what is considered a safe M1 Garand load. Vihtavuori lists 49.8gr as the max load with the 155gr Lapua scenar for .30-06

The rifle was a service grade M1 that I re-barreled (criterion) and performed the basic "as-is" legal fitting to. Trigger job etc. That target was shot with iron sights @ 100 yards SR-1 target from a bench with a couple sand bags supporting the rifle.

My notes say it was a hot ~90F day with little to no wind.

The rifle does have a ported gas plug installed (non-venting). This was taken during the testing period for that item before I was selling them publicly.

[M1 Ported Gas Plug]

I have shot plates out at 600 with the 175's purely for fun and they seemed to perform well. I'll need to put some to paper when time permits.

Eric