• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help from those with reloading manuals nearby

TheLoneMonk

Private
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2010
I'm part of a group that is about to start testing the feasibility of shooting the 7mm SAUM out of several guns for 1,000 yard competition only. Through plenty of research we've found that we want to use either Remington or Norma brass, 63.5-64gr. of H1000 powder, and shoot a Berger 180gr. hybrid as a starting point. Our objective velocity is ~2,950FPS, threshold velocity being ~2,850. Both are near the known accuracy nodes for this bullet for whatever reason. There is a high node in the low 3,000s but we don't wish to go that far.

The only issue is in order to bypass the step of ordering a sole-purpose pressure test barrel ( which takes roughly a year ), the load we start with needs to be a 'SAAMI-safe', and known load published in a loading manual, chart, somewhere. I need some kind of documentation or evidence with a similar load saying it is within safe pressure limits. With that evidence, we could build test guns and field them without having to wait a year for proprietary equipment.

If anyone has access to a loading manual, commentary from Berger, or any other information, it would be most helpful. Any questions beyond ballistics, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

S/F

Re: Need help from those with reloading manuals nearby

www.6mmbr.com has the data you're looking for, hit 7mm page.
Berger's new manual has it too, mines at a freinds house or I'd give it to you, if someone hasn't posted by tomorrow I will go get it and get you some.

I looked in my Berger manual as well as my Speer manual and neither list H1000 as a powder for that cartridge. Highest velocity that I see with a max load with 180gr match hybrid target is 2836ft/s with 62.4gr of Ramshot Magnum powder.

Shows how much I know, guess I won't hunt down my book!
Look in the reloading depot at top of page. Also look in ELR, bunch of Vegas boys posted H-1000 as their powder choice.

Yeah, I've seen a bunch of posts in there using that powder. Problem is I need some kind of documentation or publication. It can't just be a successful load that someone developed, unfortunately.

Sent an E-mail to Berger, we will see what happens. Backup would be a straight .284.

S/F