• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help getting started

YungSnubs

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2021
NC
I just ordered a remington 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor and I want to be able to load my own rounds. I grew up around reloading and know just enough to probably mess something up. I am starting from nothing as far as press, dies, powder, etc. I was hoping someone may be able to provide some guidance on what all I will need to get started and maybe make some suggestions. I am willing to buy quality equipment but I just started a job in LE so I dont have a huge budget lol.

1. Press (single stage or progressive)
  2. Reloading dies (sizing, depriming if separate, bullet seating)
  3. priming system (handheld, bench, or press)
  4. powder scale (with check weights)
  5. powder dispenser
  6. Caliper
  7. Reloading manual/handbook digital or hard copy (good idea to have different ones to cross reference charge weights)
  8. Case cleaning (tumbler, media)
  9. Bullet puller (kinetic, collet style, etc)
  10. Case Prep (trimmer, chamfer/debur)
  11. Miscellaneous necessary (case lube, trays, shell holders for calibers your loading, swaging tool - only necessary for crimped primer pockets, etc)
  12. Miscellaneous not necessary but very nice to have (Comparators, case gauges, case annealer, etc)
  13. Components (bullets, powder, primers, brass)
  14. A good sturdy/stable reloading bench
The single stage kits (such as the Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit, RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press kit, Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Reloading Kit, several others) will come with most of what you need.

Quality dies (Forster, RCBS, Redding, Whidden - people have their brand favorites, mine happens to be Forster), reliable calipers for measuring, an accurate scale (if your scale doesn't include check weights, get some quality ones), and quality components and loading with care will produce good ammo. Garbage in = garbage out.

The more money you spend, the more convenience upgrades you get such as faster, accurate, and repeatable powder dispensing, quicker die or caliber changes, easy adjust dies (such as micrometer seating dies), progressive loading, machine case prepping like machine trimming/deburring.

Last edited:
Start gathering your components now... Cases, primers, bullets, powder, etc. Sucks to have all that reloading equipment and no components

Don't underestimate the value of reloading books by the different bullet manufacturers that you intend to use. There's a reason everyone tells you to get them.