• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help knowing what equipment to get for reload

mpd809

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Western NC
I been wanting to learn and been looking at many catalogs i am wanting to learn how to reload just a few rounds like the .308 win, and the .223 and .40s&w and after looking at all the catalogs i have no idea what equipment to purchase to reload these rounds i have ordered a reloading manual but would like any help possible on getting a list for the equipment i would need to reolad these rounds.

Re: Need help knowing what equipment to get for reload

If you just want to "try it out" and see what it's like and only load in small volumes, get a lee loader like this: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/cleeloader.html and a rawhide mallet.

You can find these kits for $20 or less if you shop around. Cabelas lists them for $21.99.

It has everything you need except bullets, primers, and powder - but is very basic and only neck sizes, so it's for bolt action rifles only. You can get by with just what comes in the kit but it only measures powder with the dipper. If you get the kit, and a powder scale you can weigh charges and make ammo that will shoot as good as most until you get into benchrest type case prep and stuff. I have one for .223, .30-06, .357, .410,20ga and 12ga. I think they are pretty handy.

When you get tired of this speed and figure out what you're doing, you can buy a good press and some threaded dies and go from there.

If you want to start with a press and plan on getting serious pretty quickly, get something like the RCBS Rockchucker kit:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000449357

If you are planning on loading single stage, but in volume and you have some money to spend, go with this:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0065713216927a.shtml

And if you want to load progressive, get a Dillon RL550B and all the assorted extras you'll need that are shown in the other kits.

One thing you will want/need that's not in any of the kits is a dial caliper which can be had for around $25.

That's my opinion. Others will have different opinions.

Brand comes down to what you like, but you do generally get what you pay for.

If you are on a budget, you cannot beat Lee equipment for performance and value.
http://www.leeprecision.com/

I would suggest (based on what I own) from LEE:
The Classic turret press. (It can also be set up as a progressive reloader for your 40 with the optional disc powder measure)
a carbide 4 die set for your 40 S&W
a deluxe 3 die set for the 223
a deluxe 3 die set for the 308
(note all Lee die sets come with the correct shell holder)
two extra 4 hole turret inserts
The Lee reloading book (excellent value and really covers the topic and tons of data)
Safety Glasses!!!!!!
a Redding, Lyman or RCBS powder scale (expensive but the best)
A case chamfering tool (I like Lyman's)
Get all the above from Midwayusa.com

a Redding, Lyman or RCBS powder measure (go on ebay)

Down the road, the Lee autodisc powder measure will speed up loading the 40.
The Lee autoprime tool fits on the press and avoids handling primers as well as speeding up the process.

Reloading is not rocket science, I've been doing it since 1956 and still have both eyes and all fingers. Read everything three times and if you have a buddy who is good at it, coaching helps.

I own or have owned probably every brand of reloading equipment.
I have no problem turning out excellent ammo with the Lee Turret and it is, in many ways, more user friendly than either my far more expensive RCBS and Redding presses.

Some folks here will tell you that you have to get a second mortgage to get good equipment. There is some truth to that if you are a 1000 yard benchrest shooter, but for most of us reloads that can equal or beat premium factory ammo are obtainable on a beer budget.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Re: Need help knowing what equipment to get for re

Someone on another forum asked the same question a couple of days ago, but he has a pretty good idea of what he needs:

Redding T-7 turret press
RCBS ChargeMaster Combo
Redding priming accessory
Redding or Forster dies
RCBS case prep tool

He was all set to buy a kit.

Don't let ignorance stand in the way of your getting the tools that you need. Buy some manuals and books that will get you ahead of the curve. Then you can ask informed questions.

BTW, what guns do you own and what types of shooting do you do? If you want to load lead bullets for a snub-nosed 38 to shoot at knotholes in a tree, the loading equipment isn't very critical. A custom-built 6mm BR has different needs.

Win 69 I have the same stuff.

Buy once and cry only once.

That all top notch stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been wanting to learn and been looking at many catalogs i am wanting to learn how to reload just a few rounds like the .308 win, and the .223 and .40s&w and after looking at all the catalogs i have no idea what equipment to purchase to reload these rounds i have ordered a reloading manual but would like any help possible on getting a list for the equipment i would need to reolad these rounds. </div></div>

In a nutshell, the basics you need are:

1. Press
2. Powder scale
3. Dies
4. Priming tool
5. Powder funnel
6. Shell holder
7. Case lube
8. Caliper
9. Reloading tray
10. Powder trickle

Its up to you to figure out what kind/brand of each of these items you like. This list is a minumum to get you started.

Hey thanks for all the information I didn't have any idea where to even start but this will help alot.

Oh by the way someone asked what types of weapons I will be using I have a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 WIN, a Rock River Arms AR-15 Tactical Entry .223 and 2,.40S&W Glocks 22 and a 23 all weapons I use for work. All the ammo I want to load is just for me to keep my shooting skills up North Carolina will not let us use reloaded ammo on duty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, thanks for all the information. I didn't have any idea where to even start, but this will help a lot. </div></div>
This is the link to the post I referenced earlier. You may find the responses to it informational.

http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3636852

Currently, you mainly need to gather information and learn. You can then assess what your needs will be. From there you will begin designing your reloading process to satisfy those needs. At that point, you can consider the accumulation of necessary equipment.

Reading the informational manuals is the place to start. Lyman's is considered a good one. There's also a lot of info in the reloading forums like this one. Use the <span style="font-style: italic">Search</span> functions.

I highly suggest getting the book The ABC's of Reloading. It is full of great information and is easy to read. It will go through what you need and the how to's for reloading rifle, pistol, and shotgun shells. There are a lot of pics too.

I also suggest getting the Lee kit. It is around $100 and has everything you need to get started. Great for the beginner and at a price most can afford. If you find you really like reloading you can always add other tools or upgrade the ones you have. Plus, Lee dies are decent too, especially the collet neck sizing die.

Handloading for Competition, by Glenn Zediker. Learn it right the first time. Buy once. Get a mentor. Ask ChadTRG for advice; he knows how to load and what works.