• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help loading some .270 Win

itwillis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
IA, USA
Not new to loading but completely new to .270 Win. Tikka T3 1:10 22" lite stainless rifle.

I am trying to work on a load for the 140gr. Accubond. IMR4350 and N160 were lets just say less than amazing. There would be a few moments of hope with random good groups but nothing consistent enough below about 1.5" @ 100 yards. This was surprising, I really thought IMR4350 would want to shoot.

I have RL17, 15, and H4831.

My gut tells me to work on H4831. If anyone has any secrets for this combo or has experience with any of the 140 Nosler flavors please feel free to point me in a better direction so I don't waster another day.

Thanks.

I have a developed a load for my hunting buddies 270's using 54.8 gr. of R22 behind a Berger 150 gr VLD with a velocity of approx. of 2860 with a 24" bbl. Norma brass and BR-2 primers. Shoots very well out of both a Tikka T3 and Rem 700. I guided my friend with the Tikka on an elk hunt last year and he took an elk at 521 yards with a single shot with that load.

I have just finished developing a hunting load for my Tikka T3 Lite in 270 Win that shoots really well, about .5 MOA.

Winchester Brass
Barnes 130 gr. T-TSX
60.0 gr. of H4831SC
CCI BR-2 Primer
COAL of 3.330

I also have a match load that will shoot .25 MOA at 100.

Winchester Brass
135 gr. SMK
58.3 gr. H4831SC
CCI BR-2 Primer
COAL of 3.340

I would try the H4831 and start at 57.4 gr and move up in .3 gr increments until you get pressure signs then look for a node. Seat the bullet to max mag length which is 3.340 COAL. Check out Dan Newberry's OCW method if you haven't already. It is phenomenal for finding a great load. Once you find a good node, you can adjust seating depth to tighten up groups if they need it.

Also, if your shooting fundamentals are not on, the light weight of the Tikka T3 can really exploit your flaws. Ask me how I know. That light weight rifle shooting a max charge of H4831 and a 130 gr bullet has nearly identical recoil energy and velocity of an 8.5 lb. 300 WSM shooting 180 gr bullets.

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I'm doing this for a friend quickly as possible. Since the target is black bears I'm going to stick with the accubond. Berger and Barnes availability is nil here.