• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Help---Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical AAC®-SD™

okiehuntnfish

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have had this rifle for 3 years. It has turned into my main hunting gun, but I am not happy with the magazine and how non-smooth the shells cycle from the magazine into the chamber. It has the built in magazine which has started to hold shells from cambering when the bolt is cycled. Also the action of cycling the bolt makes long and deep scratches in the shell casings of the bullets.

I have cleaned this rifle really well. Even after breaking down the magazine and cleaning, shells continue to stick and not move into the chamber when the bolt is cycled. The magazine will hold 3 shells. It seems like the last round will not cycle and will be stuck in the magazine and I have to use the drop plate to remove the shell.

I want to do two things if possible---if affordable and easy enough:
1) Convert the rifle from the internal magazine to a detachable magazine.

2) Find out what steps I need to take to make the bullet cycle clean and smooth from magazine to chamber. The scratches in the shell casings are an obvious sign that something is wrong. I thought better to ask here first opposed to start filing down parts and mess something up.

Thank you for your help.

Re: Need Help---Model 700™ SPS™ Tactical AAC®-SD™

Tag, I to would like to see what dbm is recommended

My SPS was the same way OOB. I didn't file anything, but I did run an Arkansas fine stone under the feed lips on the factory box until I stopped scratching brass. After about 500 rounds the factory set up "broke in" and no more problems.

The ultimate solution was to go to a DBM. There are several out there, but you might want to consider a stock change as well. Since your a hunter, a B&C Light Tactical with a DBM that fits your budget may be the way to go.

CDI bottom metal and AICS mags are the way to go for BDM setup as far as cost and function in my opinion. The CDI bottom metal is about $200, plus someone will have to inlet the stock for this. I think they do that for like $60 or so, but you might want to email him and see. There are some cheaper ones popping up on ebay, atlasworks I think is the name. They've been sketchy from what I've heard though. Somebody makes a knock off AICS mag to, but again functionality reports have been sketchy from what I remember.

I would play with the feed lips of the box mag or like stated above maybe a light amount of smoothing. I bet that's where your scratches are coming from. There isn't anything on the bolt that would scratch the case, that I can recall from memory. I sold my AAC rilfe a couple years ago.

The one thing I would do if you go with the drop mag setup is look at upgrading the stock to B&C or better if you can. The factory hogue is a decent stock at best, even though it is "pillared". I put a B&C on for less than $250 from Boyds and it was well worth the money in my opinion.

Good luck

CDI and PTG make the most economical DBM for the 700.

Jeff at CDI is a real standup guy and will have your stock back to you quickly.

Do NOT bother with attempting the DBM install on the hogue stock.

I like the feel of the hogue stock but they are one step above worthless on an accurate rifle.

I would suggest upgrading the stock first, if you haven't already.

Test fit the new stock first, then send it to Jeff.

Thank you all for your feedback and ideas!! I appreciate the help and will follow up.