• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need help mounting a scope. Which rings?

frozentundra1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2014
I need to mount a SWFA fixed 10x scope to a Savage Model 10 Fcp-Sr that comes with a factory installed base. Obviously this is a budget setup, but which rings should I buy?

Also, any advice for relative neophyte about how to do the job properly? I've only ever mounted scopes on one piece AR mounts on flattops, or moving around really really old scopes and rings on my old rifles. Should I remove the factory mount, apply blue locktite and torque to spec with a wheeler FAT wrench? Or is it good to go from factory?

Thanks for reading.

It doesn't hurt to remove and replace, just to be sure, but when I have removed mounts from Savage receivers the screws were held in place by some kind of thread adhesive. It's also nice if not a new gun to make sure there is no corrosion going on underneath the mounts. I use nothing but Burris Signature rings, for multiple reasons. If you're not experienced at mounting scopes I would strongly recommend them, to reduce the chance of your scratching or marking up your scope tube, and to be sure you don't run out of turret adjustment.

I'm not sure I want to get fancy with the inserts and such. Seems like complexity is the enemy of durability much of the time.

Is TPS TSR 30mm low a good ring for what I'm trying to do? Or am I likely to have similar success with Burris XTR or SWFA SS-Tac rings? They look beefier in a way, but I doubt they have as much concentricity and low runout. I honestly don't know how much it matters.

Seekins Precision or Vortex branded Seekins Precision.

Get them used. $90 on the PX

Best rings for the $. ARC M10 are good, but 50% or higher in price, my rec if you swap out optics often. Seekins if you mount and don't mess with it.

Rings do not get damaged easily as the scope will die a horrible death before the rings get bent or dented.

Seekins fan here too. All but 1 of my rifles wear Seekins. Looking to swap out my last set of Badger Alloy "Max 50" rings soon.

Seekins, Vortex (Seekins), ARC M10, Burris tactical rings, all of them are good.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody. Ordered Seekins low rings.

Do you use a thread locking compound on any of the scope ring threads? Or just for the scope base?

Neither. just use a torque wrench (inch/pounds).

Seekins Rings only:
15-25 on the scope
55 on the rail

The standards for "wet" with locking compound are different from the ones listed above, and some people use locking compound, but on short actions, they're really not necessary. Though I check my screws every 4th trip to the range and before any long days/comps/courses.

keep an eye on the classifieds section. I picked up a pair of the vortex precision ultralight rings for my NF ATACR that are very good. I also use to have Badger rings and liked those too but not sure if they are within your budget.