• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help: Moving all of my gear, ammo, rifles

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    So part 2 of the big move out to Utah from Florida is coming up and since we already found out the movers won't take any loaded ammunition or reloading components, I am pretty much going to have to rent some sort of vehicle with a Uhaul trailer attached.

Does anyone know if there are any pitfalls to this, besides the obvious fact that I have to physically drive this. I figure the rifles and gear should be ok, as I am leaving them unloaded and in their cases, but what about the ammo and reloading components?

Without giving up too much, it's about 40k rounds, 5000 primers, 45ish pounds of power and literally a ton of brass/projectiles: so any kind of luggage checking or shipping is out of the question.

The good news is, I doubt from the geography that I am going to have to drive through any 'firearm handicapped' states but have been looking up DOT regs on this and have found next to nothing as far as any requirements, rules, etc.

Anyone done this before?

Edit: I can't schpell

Re: Need Help: Moving all of my gear, ammo, rifles

Ive done it from North Carolina down to Alabama, just rented a UHaul and took everything I didn't trust the movers with. Not as much as you have but I would rent the truck and trailer your vehicle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive done it from North Carolina down to Alabama, just rented a UHaul and took everything I didn't trust the movers with. Not as much as you have but I would rent the truck and trailer your vehicle.
    </div></div>

Our vehicles are being shipped as her employer is paying for it. They will pay for my rental as well, so might as well not put the miles on my car.

Was thinking that if this was all legal to do, I'd rent whatever could tow a Uhaul trailer with all of my ammo/gear/rifles in it as I didn't trust the movers with my firearms before I even found out they won't take ammo.

Send the brass and projectiles with the movers, no big deal. I'd probably just sell the primers and powder, take a little hit on them and just buy new when I got there with one big order from Powder Valley. As for the ammo, that's a tough call, how much would it cost you to wholesale there and buy new in Utah? Are you moving stuff you don't need just because you have it?

As for the guns, don't transport anything you actually like in a U-haul trailer or truck, they are huge targets for thieves. Major targets.

Buy a cheap motorhome, load it up with the good stuff and drive it to Utah. Sell it when you get there, I'm sure Florida is full of motorhomes that older people are ready to be done with.

your plan is completely illegal! send all items next day air to me and feel all warm and fuzzy inside for doing a good deed.

Private transporation is fine across statelines. You'll be much happier when you get to Utah. We have lots of great places to shoot. As for a vehicle, rent a larger SUV and stash everything in. Dont bother with trailers, like others have said they are a huge target. If it were me hauling all those goodies, I would make it a non-stop team drive. It will be miserable but much safer on your cargo than trying to hide it while parked at a motel for the night. Just my 2 cents.

I just went through the same thing moving from Tennessee to North Carolina. My move wasn't as long and I don't have as much stuff. I drove the Uhaul with our household goods and my reloading/gun tools and my wife drove our car loaded with the guns and pets. We broke up our move with a stay in a hotel room. My wife has a disability and relayed this to the clerk who took our reservation when she requested a downstairs room with outside access. The clerk reserved the handicapped room for us which was directly across from the front desk with parking right in front of the room. I slept petty good with one of my last thoughts that night being that I could hear our car pop and creak as the engine cool. I was sure I would hear someone trying to break in. You could just say you wrenched your back during your move and request the handicapped room. They are always real close to the desk.

I hauled firearms AK to MI in a U-haul trailer no theivery, but I was very worried at every stop, not much ammo though, Canada doesn't allow much. Then in locked cases WA to NC in the open bed of a pickup under a tarp and my other worldly goods, no theivery, course I slept in the truck.

So far as legality, pretty sure its ok, but regardless, LEOs have to have a reason to search a vehicle and/or trailer if you tell them that they may not when/if they ask. Probable cause generally consists of the drug dog signaling positive, or something plainly visible from outside. I know of no state that requires you to inform on items outside the cab and/or your "immediate access" a locked trailer is neither, don't be a dick if stopped and asked say household goods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send the brass and projectiles with the movers, no big deal. I'd probably just sell the primers and powder, take a little hit on them and just buy new when I got there with one big order from Powder Valley. <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"> As for the ammo, that's a tough call, how much would it cost you to wholesale there and buy new in Utah? Are you moving stuff you don't need just because you have </span>it?</span>

As for the guns, don't transport anything you actually like in a U-haul trailer or truck, they are huge targets for thieves. Major targets.

Buy a cheap motorhome, load it up with the good stuff and drive it to Utah. Sell it when you get there, I'm sure Florida is full of motorhomes that older people are ready to be done with.

</div></div>

Normally I would agree but in the current political climate the fear (imagined or not) of the ever looming "ban" has already started causing some shortages. Try ordering from black hills right now, 556 or 762.

Put the ammo and powder and primers in the trunks of the cars that are being shipped. Split it up so the weight is distributed evenly. Then just rent a big SUV, Surban type and take what ever is left with you. And as mentioned, let the movers transport the brass and bullets.

Keep in mind almost all car rental companies will not rent a pickup truck with a hitch. I have self with this before and had to rent a actual moving truck to get a trailer hitch. So it may be more comfy to drive your own vehicle if towing.

When I moved to CA my company paid for my car and my girl friend's car to be shipped. A co-worker told me to fill the car up with my stuff. They shipped my car by rail and truck. My car was f'd up when it got there and all of my stuff had been was a mess and they took what they wanted. I went back to the shipper; they said it was not their responsibility and I had sign a waiver, which you have to sign or they won't ship your car. My girl friend flew out a few weeks later and shipped her car by truck only. It showed up with the convertible top cut off. Insurance took care of all of this stuff. However, now I will drive my car and never ship it.

Also, when I moved to Texas I got shipping Pods. You load them and lock them with locks that you are the only one with the keys. I put all of my all of my guns in bubble wrap and put them in the safes then lock them up. The safes went in first. Then I loaded all of my ammo and loading stuff by spreading it out in the Pod. After that I loaded house hold goods on top of my safes, ammo, and loading stuff to help hide it. They picked it up at my house in CA and dropped it off at my rental in TX. Then I unloaded the Pod nobody was the wiser.

Good luck with whatever you do, but I wouldn't ship my car if I was you.

I just moved all of my handguns, long guns, ammo and supplies from NY to AZ. I am also an owner operator leased onto a major carrier. I just loaded the weapons in hardcases and put them in my wifes car which was on a car hauler behind the rental truck. The ammo and supplies went into the truck. As long as you haul them like that there isnt any laws, fed or otherwise, to stop you. DOT has better things to do.

I just moved all of my handguns, long guns, ammo and supplies from NY to AZ. I am also an owner operator leased onto a major carrier. I just loaded the weapons in hardcases and put them in my wifes car which was on a car hauler behind the rental truck. The ammo and supplies went into the truck. As long as you haul them like that there isnt any laws, fed or otherwise, to stop you. DOT has better things to do.

Rent an econoline van..... load it up and drive it. Get a panel van that has only windows on the driver and passenger side. I know Enterprise rents them, we used two of them to transport all of my Grandfathers guns. It was an easy trip and the vans were easy to travel in.

U haul?

Uhaul is a company here in the US that rents moving vehicles and supplies. We rented the 26 foot truck and I'll admit it wasn't the easiest to drive and I was quite nervous for all 793 miles that I drove it.

From your description, it is obvious that what you have won't fit in a van/suv or anything like that. And this too, is a bit late considering that you've already involved 'movers' and whatnot. But for future reference, here is an idea that has not been suggested yet.

Shipping Container.

Depending on the size of your household goods, there are a few different sizes of container that you can get. Rent or buy, but buying one would be logical'er in my opinion. You load up your stuff into it (get help if needed) and have the truck come and pick it up when you're ready.

You can arrange with either an o/o or a shipping company for the costs, and the timeline of moving it. And remember, if it is a container that you have purchased, then even if it looks 'normal' and locked on the outside, that says nothing about whatever "bulkhead" or false-wall that you put on the inside. Just to rest yourself at ease.

There could be two drivers in the truck, running continuously so that there are not 'overnight' stops. Or there could be a stop, but it would be in a truck-lot/restaurant where it'd be surrounded by other trucks and drivers.

These are just thoughts and ideas that I'm throwing out there. It is up to you, for what you do with your household goods. This is because there are all kinds of ass-hats out there, who'll rip-off/scam/steal/destroy anything they can. No idea where you're going to, but having a shipping container there could be an asset once the move is finished. Or it can be re-sold. There is a market for them.

Good Luck. I have moved from northern B.C. to southern Manitoba, and unfortunately done it more than once. Logistics is interesting.

I second the suggestion of the panel van. Figure out your weight and space requirement and rent. The PODS idea is good as well.

Was in the same situation a few years ago and the moving company would not take my ammo, powder, bullets and so forth. I ended up buying a low roofed v neck, two axle bike hauler brand new for around $7000. I saved twice that much by removing my bike, tool boxes and other stuff (I really didn't want them moving this stuff anyway), I had room for all my guns and other stuff and felt more secure.

Ended up with a free trailer plus $$ based on what I saved on the moving company.