• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on building an ar-15

silver yote sniper

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
kentucky USA
This may have been asked before but what is the cheapest route to build an ar 15 in 223. I will be using this rifle for mostly predator hunting. Thanks for all the help.

Re: Need help on building an ar-15

Build it yourself or just pick up a Spikes or a Stag basic model .

where can i buy one. I was told that building one was cheaper is this true. I just want something for pred hunting but i do want it to last

Call Spikes or Stag and ask for a local dealer for you . Do you have all the tools to build one ? What kind of predators are you planning on shooting ? You might want to look into a 6.8 over a 223.

There are many calibers to choose from:
6.5 grendel
.458 Socom
.50 beowolf
each have their own pros and cons
building "assembling" your own rifle will not save you any money, but it will allow for you to get the EXACT configuration that you want. I have built several and i enjoy the process. good luck with your choice.
Ryan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Spikes or Stag and ask for a local dealer for you . Do you have all the tools to build one ? What kind of predators are you planning on shooting ? You might want to look into a 6.8 over a 223. </div></div>

I will be hunting fox, coyote, and bobcat.

I would like either a 223 or 243 as i already have the dies and stuff to reload both. I am just getting started reloading and would like to stay with a couple calibers.

I've buit 4 AR15's so far. 1 is a pistol. If you can get the parts at a good deal then you'll save a couple hundred yes but the main reason is to build what you want. If you buy a standrd rifle then want a free float rail, new trigger and stock you'll be spending extra. It's not hard to build these things you just need the right tools and know how. Once you build one you'll kick your self for not doing it sooner. But..... if this is your first AR I would suggest you buy a factory gun so you know what goes were and how it's suppose to feel and work. JMO.

Stick with a 223 for sure as that is perfect for predators, cheap. A 243 requires a large-chassis AR-10 style rifle: much different beast.

ARs are cheap and you have a zillion options for a good shooter. Rock River makes some nice complete guns. Alternatively, you could by a Varmint or match upper from White Oak Arms (WOA). They make some awesome uppers at very reasonable prices. I'd recommend 20" or 24" barrel length. With a ready-made upper, you could build your own lower if you desired. Good luck with it.

Re:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver yote sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont care to wait but I have no idea if i am getting a good deal or anything like that or what i need lol i am a noob on the ar, thanks for the help </div></div>

If I were you, I would find parts that I wanted and search Google and Gunbroker for prices. That should give you an idea what things are going for. Then search The Hide for deals.

Re:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silver yote sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTZshooters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call Spikes or Stag and ask for a local dealer for you . Do you have all the tools to build one ? What kind of predators are you planning on shooting ? You might want to look into a 6.8 over a 223. </div></div>

I will be hunting fox, coyote, and bobcat.</div></div>

To hunt thee 3 you listed, I would definately build a .223. Parts would probably be cheaper/easier to find, .223 is good round for animals that size, .223 will also take a deer, and you can shoot 5.56 NATO surplus...........I would only consider the .243 if you plan on using the rifle regularly to deer hunt and the .223 isnt legal to hunt deer with in your state.

Re:

I just recently went down this road also. Spend a couple days searching and reading on the internet and you'll get an idea what is a good deal, who the better manufacturers are, and whatnot. Google ar-15 unassembled kit. That will give you an idea on the parts you need. Also a15.com also has a lot of info and links for cheap parts suppliers, and DIY info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. But..... if this is your first AR I would suggest you buy a factory gun so you know what goes were and how it's suppose to feel and work. JMO. </div></div>

What he said.

If you still want to build your own, I would buy "kits" and not just individual parts, 1 or 2 at a time.
Buy an upper, then stripped lower, do some reading, put together, and if you have never built ANY rifle before, or not mechanicaly inclined, have your "completed" rifle checked out by Gunsmith, just to be on safe side.

Gun broker is a good place to get a general idea of what most anything you are interested in is on sale for. Then if you don't mind used, check out the for sale space here and pick up parts or a whole gun for a good price when it comes along. I agree that for your first one it might be a good idea to get a stock weapon and take it apart and give it a once over to get a good idea of how things should be.

you can get a pretty good kit from JT dist. You are probally leaning to one of their critterslayer kits. You can get everything you need sans stripped lower from them in one shot.

Get a stripped lower from Palmetto state armory. They have a group buy going and their lowers are only $65 shipped and there good lowers, made by Aero Precision. They also have LPK on sale as well and most of the other parts that you'll need.

If your a fan of the magpul stuff get it from DSG arms. They have complete MOE kits for $100 shipped and they usually have coupon codes as well.

If you don't want to mess with buying the tools needed to build the upper, I would go with a spikes tactical complete upper from aim surplus. If you need a stripped upper PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Amacron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to build your own http://www.brownells.com has an extensive video's on how to build the ar step by step. very informative. </div></div>

This is very true. They have a pretty cool online app for picking parts so you can custom build an AR-15; it can be found here.

<span style="font-style: italic">edited to fix subject.</span>

I'd check out model1sales.com and check there kits and uppers. Then I'd order a plum crazy lower. You should be able to build one in such a manner that would cost you 6-$700 for a basic setup. I've got a model1 upper and there pretty good for the money. My friend just got a plum crazy lower, which is all polymer so it would make a. Light rifle, and he is impressed with it so far. For your cost and wait issues, these should fit the bill. Goodluck