• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help picking an AR>>>>

KRM427

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Virginia
I have no clue which one to pick. There are so many, I was told Noveske is the best, but they are pretty pricey. Any suggestion's? I intend to use it for short to medium range paper punching, witht he occational long range plinking..

Re: Need help picking an AR>>>>

About 2k give or take, I dont want any crap Ill pay the extra for top notch stuff.

My recomendation would be to get a lower and build a kit, that way you learn how it all works. Find someone who has done it before, particularly the trigger, and have fun learning.

My favorite configuration is the 18" rifle lenght hand-gaurd SPR/SDMr/MK12 config with a stainless BBL and a 7" twist.

Here's one I put together from a kit that holds 3" (or around there-bouts) groups at 500 yards and I can even run and gun w/it.

SPRm4_recon_small.jpg

I have since swapped over to the Leupy Mk8 1.1-8 CQBSS optic and will never look back.

Opinions vary, and people have loyalties to different brands, but the AR is like a barbie doll for men, just accesories the way YOU like it.

Triggers and barrels are important, don't go cheap there and you are all good. I think the Jard triggers are the value leader currently and love white-oak and Noveske bbls.. but have used model1sales.com and DPMS on the lower cost end with VERY good results as long as you get SS .223 chamber.

There are really lots of good choices. Noveske make nice barrels but their complete uppers or rifles are a bit expensive for what you get. My current favorites are LMT, BCM and Palmetto State (PSA). PSA's FN barrels are a bargain, a very durable double-chrome lined barrel that still has good accuracy, but its not a match rifle. If you want to optimize for accuracy (versus longevity) then you want something in stainless and preferably a Wylde chamber.

Does that budget include optics?

I have LMT's with DD MK18 rails and Noveske's all good stuff but
have you checked out LWRC's SPR with spiral fluted barrel? badass

I've actually been most impressed with the accuracy of my barrel from compass lake engineering.

Choose quality BCG, Lower, buffer and LPK and a really good barrel. Second get a good trigger, like one of the geissele models. Make sure it's free floated and pretty much everything else you choose is just ergonomics and stuff to suit you specific needs. (Of course some parts are just crap, no matter how you look at them.)

For simplicity sake, I'd say get an LMT MRP or get one of High Caliber Sales's Recce uppers and mate it with a good LMT lower.

LMT, Centurion, Daniel Defense, Noveske, BCM, High Caliber, any of those would do well for what you are speaking of. Get a factory gun that way you know it should be right right out of the box for a first gun then if you get into shooting more, start playing with different uppers, triggers grips etc.

There's a couple of Hide vendors who can build you a stellar direct impingement AR. If you want a piston gun, then buy a POF or an LWRC.

When I'm looking for an AR, I want a gun that will eat everything I feed it, day in and day out, clean or dirty. Accuracy doesn't have to be better than MOA because if I want to drive tacks, I'll get out another rifle. For me I want a good barrel, trigger, and stock in that order. A Noveske's a good gun, but you should a able to get all the gun you want with your budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no clue which one to pick. There are so many, I was told Noveske is the best, but they are pretty pricey. Any suggestion's? I intend to use it for short to medium range paper punching, witht he occational long range plinking..
</div></div>

For long distance range, check out the DPMS 6.5creedmoor (1k shots for sure..!!

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=51

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Delta-6-five</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For long distance range, check out the DPMS 6.5creedmoor (1k shots for sure..!!
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=51</div></div>

Do you have one.. if so a few questions if you don't mind?
What round do you shoot from it?
How many MILS/MOA do you come up at 1000?
How hard is the action on brass?
How accurate is it at 100 yards (not that it matters, just curious)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad Medicine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KAC or PWS</div></div>

KAC is quite possibly the most overpriced AR on the market. The same, and better, accuracy can be had for less money.

I don't think KAC's are overpriced but not what I would want if all I was going to do was shoot tiny groups.

Allow me to rephrase. The rifle I was speaking of is their SR-25 with a price near $5000. However, the AR-15 is comparatively priced with other premium manufacturers but I would still opt for a GAP if I was going with a DI.

SR-25 is priced at 5k because there's guys who love nothing more than to sit at a range and go "Yeah, this is my SR-25, it's mil-spec", whilst showing off their weaver scope in lynx rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SR-25 is priced at 5k because there's guys who love nothing more than to sit at a range and go "Yeah, this is my SR-25, it's mil-spec", whilst showing off their weaver scope in lynx rings.</div></div>

Ha ha ha! So true! As the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Oh and if I ever get another AR it will most definitely be a KAC SR-25. I have wanted one forever, just keep getting talked out of buying one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SR-25 is priced at 5k because there's guys who love nothing more than to sit at a range and go "Yeah, this is my SR-25, it's mil-spec", whilst showing off their weaver scope in lynx rings.</div></div> yeah, shot with one of those guys this past weekend. Nice groups at 100, from the bench, but fell to shit at 150. Another one of the this rifle shoots better than I dcan fellows. My .22 was grouping as good as him at 150. And to top it, the rifle was sporting Osprey and NC Star optics. Some peoples kids.

OP, what is your budget? Are you planning on buying a factory rifle? There is no difference IMO in short range or long range paper punching since you're still looking to get something very accurate. There are a few manufacturers on SH that can put together a rifle for you no problem.

Going off topic but this was posted by Mr. Knight on arfcom last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 030</div><div class="ubbcode-body">90% of the users on this board will be perfectly served by a rifle from any of the other vendors. 50% would be happy with a DPMS. What sets our rifle apart from the others is extreme use situations. The new EM carbine has been tested to 5000 rnds suppressed with no cleaning. The SR-25 has continually beat out all comparators in military trails. That is not by accident. If it wasn't for KAC NONE of the other manufactures would have anything. All of the other guns out there owe something to our rifle. We will continue to improve our platform and push the envelope of performance. We are the standard that all others strive to be. I am sorry the price is out of reach of most enthusiasts but when it comes down to a rifle you can "take to work" price is not the most important consideration . You can rave all you want about the other rifles ..... I will salute that .....but if you are here to talk negative about our gun you better have your facts straight and ready to put your money where your mouth is.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, what is your budget? Are you planning on buying a factory rifle? There is no difference IMO in short range or long range paper punching since you're still looking to get something very accurate. There are a few manufacturers on SH that can put together a rifle for you no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 030</div><div class="ubbcode-body">90% of the users on this board will be perfectly served by a rifle from any of the other vendors. 50% would be happy with a DPMS. What sets our rifle apart from the others is extreme use situations. The new EM carbine has been tested to 5000 rnds suppressed with no cleaning. The SR-25 has continually beat out all comparators in military trails. That is not by accident. If it wasn't for KAC NONE of the other manufactures would have anything. All of the other guns out there owe something to our rifle. We will continue to improve our platform and push the envelope of performance. We are the standard that all others strive to be. I am sorry the price is out of reach of most enthusiasts but when it comes down to a rifle you can "take to work" price is not the most important consideration . You can rave all you want about the other rifles ..... I will salute that .....but if you are here to talk negative about our gun you better have your facts straight and ready to put your money where your mouth is.</div></div></div></div>

Nice write up and I would expect nothing less from the KAC employees, however, I have no doubt that a GAP or LWRC or POF amongst others will do everything an SR-25 will do and maybe more, for a lesser price.

In fact, I would think the gas piston operated rifles might actually go longer than 5,000 rounds while being suppressed without needing to be cleaned because of the whole DI dumping inside the upper whereas the piston does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, what is your budget? Are you planning on buying a factory rifle? There is no difference IMO in short range or long range paper punching since you're still looking to get something very accurate. There are a few manufacturers on SH that can put together a rifle for you no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 030</div><div class="ubbcode-body">90% of the users on this board will be perfectly served by a rifle from any of the other vendors. 50% would be happy with a DPMS. What sets our rifle apart from the others is extreme use situations. The new EM carbine has been tested to 5000 rnds suppressed with no cleaning. The SR-25 has continually beat out all comparators in military trails. That is not by accident. If it wasn't for KAC NONE of the other manufactures would have anything. All of the other guns out there owe something to our rifle. We will continue to improve our platform and push the envelope of performance. We are the standard that all others strive to be. I am sorry the price is out of reach of most enthusiasts but when it comes down to a rifle you can "take to work" price is not the most important consideration . You can rave all you want about the other rifles ..... I will salute that .....but if you are here to talk negative about our gun you better have your facts straight and ready to put your money where your mouth is.</div></div></div></div>

Nice write up and I would expect nothing less from the KAC employees, however, I have no doubt that a GAP or LWRC or POF amongst others will do everything an SR-25 will do and maybe more, for a lesser price.

In fact, I would think the gas piston operated rifles might actually go longer than 5,000 rounds while being suppressed without needing to be cleaned because of the whole DI dumping inside the upper whereas the piston does not. </div></div>

I concur and would like to see some proof of this 5000 round suppressed fire test w/no cleaning. That's a bit of a stretch of my imagination after having shot thousands of suppressed rounds through both gassed and piston stoner style rifles over the past decade. Not calling anyone a lair, but as Reagan said "Trust but verify"

I have no sworn allegiance to any brand and loyalty only to my wife and use what works based on the value I see in what's offered. That being said I have consistently been impressed with POF's quality, even though I have yet to own one as I think their gas-piston system is pure genius.

If I had 2k for a new AR, I would personally want to play with a 556 OBR or one of the PWS MK1 series rifles. These are the only two rifles that interest me that I haven't been able to play with yet. I have however had good luck with a BCM BFH upper, LMT MRP and I even have a bushmaster that's been through hell and back and it's still kicking. I've had my mitts on and rounds through almost all of the major manufacturers of AR's. If you stick with a quality rifle, whether its piston or DI, you'll be fine. With a 2k budget, I don't see that being a problem.

I'm in no way bagging out KAC or their pricing. AIAW's fetch 10k, despite being (marginally) less accurate than a GAP in an AICS that costs several thousand less. the difference is that the AIAW is TOUGH. as is the KAC.

For 90% of the shooters on this board, they will never need a KAC or AIAW. They will never have to nor elect to drag their rifle through mud, have it lying underneath them in a hide, getting pissed on, or survive being banged around in the back of an UniMog. Mil Spec weapons not only produce accuracy, but they have to produce it after being smacked around. That's the extra you pay for, as well as the fact that yes, god forbid, a company dares to increase it's profits once in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm in no way bagging out KAC or their pricing. AIAW's fetch 10k, despite being (marginally) less accurate than a GAP in an AICS that costs several thousand less. the difference is that the AIAW is TOUGH. as is the KAC.

For 90% of the shooters on this board, they will never need a KAC or AIAW. They will never have to nor elect to drag their rifle through mud, have it lying underneath them in a hide, getting pissed on, or survive being banged around in the back of an UniMog. Mil Spec weapons not only produce accuracy, but they have to produce it after being smacked around. That's the extra you pay for, as well as the fact that yes, god forbid, a company dares to increase it's profits once in a while.</div></div>

No disrespect intended but 'mil-spec' really doesn't mean shit when manufacturers are producing firearms on a daily basis that exceed mil-spec. I have no doubt that any of the rifles mentioned in this topic could undergo the same conditions and treatment that you've described and still function as they should.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no KAC hater. I'm not questioning whether or not KAC makes a good rifle but when other manufacturers produce a rifle at nearly half the cost and it performs every bit as good, ya gotta sit back and scratch your head a little.

I am not a rifle builder nor do I profess to know much about it, so for a first AR I would go for something off the shelf that you can tinker with. There are a lot of good quality, accurate rifles (in 223) that can be had for less than $1,500. This would leave you with another $500 to $800 for glass, accessories, etc. just make sure you get something with a 2 stage trigger, and a free float guard. Barrel length for short to mid range is up to you, but a 24" bull barrel would be unnecessary. I have owned several different off the shelf AR's in 223. A Colt, DPMS, and my most recent and my favorite for mid to long range a S&W M&P 15 Performance Center. It has a medium contour 20" barrel, a nice 2 stage trigger, free floated aluminum handguard, flat top, and an A2 stock. It's an excellent gun and balances really well. I would like to change the stock, but other than that it is awesome. I spent $1,200 on it plus $350 for leupold mark ar 3-9 and couldn't be happier. Now with your budget you could add $450 worth of accessories and have a badass gun. Just my 2 cents, so good luck in your search.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No disrespect intended but 'mil-spec' really doesn't mean shit when manufacturers are producing firearms on a daily basis that exceed mil-spec. I have no doubt that any of the rifles mentioned in this topic could undergo the same conditions and treatment that you've described and still function as they should.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no KAC hater. I'm not questioning whether or not KAC makes a good rifle but when other manufacturers produce a rifle at nearly half the cost and it performs every bit as good, ya gotta sit back and scratch your head a little. </div></div>

No joke.. what a crock of shit!

LOL! All MILSPEC means is minimum design standards for contract bidders. Remember: Lowest Bidder...