• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Help, Rustic Finish

jhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2013
NW FL
I recently bought a Chrome Moly barrel with intentions of finish it up with a rustic finish. What is the best way to accomplish this? I was thinking possibly painting the exterior with Muriatic acid but I have zero experience with finishing guns. What would you use?

you tube-

watch the prep videos for cerakote.... One could media blast with a jagged media like Aluminum Oxide...
you create lots of nooks and crannies for paints and coating to adhere to vs steel shot that leaves a smooth finish... Surface prep is key in getting any finish to look right and last

Finish- you need to define what the finish needs to do.....

spray paint/ rattle can is cheap but dissolves with all gun solvents... not very durable...

Easy is Alumnahyde 2 from Brownells- it is a spray on epoxy type paint- they make a heat cure- oven- and an air cure- solvent resistant...

Cerakote has a ton of colors... same deal- bake on is stronger than the air cure options...

Parkerizing is also easy and cheap and leaves lots of craters that will either hold oil for rust prevention- AKA military M1 Garand, M14,etc or leave the parkerized dry and coat with favorite product...

in the DIY Section, people showed how they camo painted their guns.... or used sponges, cotton balls. etc...

you tube also has a ton of videos on painting rifles....

When you say rustic finish.... can you find a google image and post it so we can better see what you are looking to accomplish?

Last edited:

Check out a French grey, which uses toilet bowl cleaner and wrapping it in newspaper for three days. Also rust browning can be done with minimal equipment , using Mark Lee's solution or Birchwood Casey Plum Brown.