• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need help selecting a scope for a 22lr

GreatWhiteBuffalo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2012
Central, PA, USA
Hello,

I am still new to this forum and am not entirely sure which section would best fit this post.

As the title sates I am trying to figure out which scope would be a good fit for my 22lr rifle. The rifle is a Savage FV-SR, the use for the rifle will primarily be target shooting but I may use it for hunting from time to time. I will be honest, I am still a new shooter and for right now my "long" shot with it will probably be around 150 yards (for targets). I have done a decent amount of research and I think I may have made myself even more confused on which way to go. There are many different setups with the parallax/AO/SF, different reticles, and of course the power of the scope itself. I have been leaning toward an adjustable parallax setting, not sure of the style, and a mil-dot reticle. Though I am always up for recommendations, advice, or things to look for in particular. So I am interested in different opinions, or what others find as a good fit.

I like adjustable parallax whenever possible, but for now I don't have it on my 22.

Right now I have a weaver FFP Slam on my fv sr. I really like it even though its fixed parallax. Power tops out at 10x. Reticle matches the turrets, which is a huge plus for me, Mil mil. I assume they have MOA style if you swing that way. It is small and light enough to fit well with the rifle too.

The big question is budget! Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 would be hard to turn away from if you can swing it.

Have you had any issues with the fixed parallax so far? That Vortex was what I was initially drawn to first as I have the 6x24 on my 308 and I love its quality and features. Now I noticed that the min parallax goes down to 50, from what I've heard and read so far as long as I wouldn't go too high for the magnification the parallax shouldn't be an issue. The other question would be FFP or SFP, since it is a 22 I think I could get away with a SFP as I really wouldn't need to worry about using it to range find. That would also help me get the PST as the price is drastically lower. As far as the budget goes I'd like to keep it around $300 but I could always go higher I'd just have to wait that much longer, but the wait might be a great trade off. While checking around I have seen many good things about the Sightmark Triple Duty in 4x16x44 which has a parallax adjustment all the way down to 12 yards. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any shops nearby to check them out.