• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help selecting LEO scope

Have you ever thought approaching some of your local pro-police businesses in your area as well as individuals to help fund their SWAT Sniper Team? Usually after they get a patch or Coin or T shirt after a donation everybody wants to open the check book.

Unfortunately, as dumb as this may sound, that would be seriously frowned upon by my administration. I asked if I could write a grant for a piece of equipment once and you would have thought I slapped their mother in the face.

Hi,

Well it sounds like your Chief, Sheriff, whatever nomenclature needs to spend a few hours in this for an equipment fundraiser then....
Who in the hell doesn't let department apply for grant...

1548550401338.png

Sincerely,
Theis

i swear to fuck ill never go back to Artesia. EVER!!
Come on man, Artesia isn't so bad.

You got the caverns nearby... you got wide open desert with all the appliances you could ever want to shoot at... you got La Fonda's gourmet Mexican cuisine, The Wellhead Brew Pub... the smell of the refinery when the east wind blows....a quaint and colorful indigenous population.

What more could you ask for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, as dumb as this may sound, that would be seriously frowned upon by my administration. I asked if I could write a grant for a piece of equipment once and you would have thought I slapped their mother in the face.

You can skip the grant stuff and check with DLA and their 1033 program, you could probably get your whole department patrol carbines, old m-24's for your swat snipers and NV, NVG's maybe older thermals. Who knows what else you could find but it's worth looking into.

http://www.dla.mil/DispositionServices/Offers/Reutilization/LawEnforcement/

http://www.dla.mil/DispositionServices/Offers/Reutilization/LawEnforcement/JoinTheProgram.aspx

Reactions: j-huskey and THEIS
Luepold, Vortex, NF and a few others offer LEO pro sales. If you need help, DM me.

With that being said I just picked up a NF 7-35 and also have a luepold MK6 3-15.

Get creative. Talk to higher about payroll deduction.

Our local PD just bought 6 or so vortex AMGs for their sniper rifles. they are also debating going with rem ASRs. I wish they would save the money and just go with AI/ATs. better rifle for much less money.
I would think an AMG would be a terrible police sniper scope. The reticle is damn near unusable under 10x. I would think a fairly thick SFP scope would be the ticket for LEO operations.

Definitely check out Leupold. Their LE discount is quite generous and they stand behind their products.
A simple vx3i 4.5-14 would be just fine with your ranges, can use a cds dial and windplex if you need to dial and hold wind. It also has great glass in the price point and is well within your budget under the LE discount.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-3i-4-5-14x50mm-30mm-side-focus?selectedSku=170712

Vortex also offers a good LE discount, all it takes is picking up the phone and supplying credentials.

Last edited:
I'm already on board with vortex program, waiting to hear back from leupold, nightforce and steiner.

I'm already on board with vortex program, waiting to hear back from leupold, nightforce and steiner.
Not sure about any other programs other than Nightforce. All I can say about it, looking at my 2018 price list, is there are no scopes in your price range for their Mil-Gov-LE program. You would have to double your $800 budget.

Loveha is correct. There is nothing NF has in Combloc's budget range with the LE discount.

I would be worried if they won't even back you with getting donations for equipment........How would they back you in the event you used it during a call out?

As long as you buy the scope to perform your job and install it to your department's rifle, wouldn't that qualify as a tax deduction for 2019 income tax? That could possibly open your budget up a bit since you would get more back in returns; granted it would be in 2020 returns. I could be completely wrong about that (and if I am tell me) but along with an LEO discount you could quite possibly get a very good scope within your budget.

You can definitely write it off. I Write off everything I purchase that I use for work and also ammunition for training.

I've had the Weaver and it's a tank, however if I were in your shoes I would find a used XTRII given it's reputation for reliability. I would also get all approvals to use your own equipment in writing from the brass as a CYA for any lawsuits.

If you sign up for Expert Voice as a LEO they have discounts available for Vortex and Bushnell as well as a few others. I would give Doug a call at Camerland NY and see what he has available.

For duty use in the USA, Nightforce, period. They have discounts and if you don't have the cash, places like Mile High have financing available. Not a place you can afford to save cash, unfortunately.

Reactions: DetroitRearView