• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help setting my CTR for night vision varmint hunting

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
Hello,
I've got a CTR in 308 that I'm pretty happy with. I'm not in love with the factory stock, and I've been looking at replacing it. One of the options I've been looking at is the KRG Bravo and while looking at it and sorting through all the options for accessories I stumbled across the ability to setup the rifle with forward mounted night vision. I've never setup a dedicated bolt action for night vision shooting and I'm thinking about coyotes at night.

I'm familiar with night vision using a PVS-7 back in the day, and then as a civilian I've got a setup in Gen1 & PVS-14 Gen3, but with all those setup it required IR lasers. I've never setup a bolt action precision rifle to use night vision. I'm out of my wheel house on this, and could use some advice. Ideally, I'd clamp some device at the end of the rifle and magically be able to see and shoot at night as far as I could during daylight. Realistically though, if I could clearly identify and pop a coyote at 400 or 500 yards I'd be happy with that. If there's a way to keep the ability to use the rig as a normal daylight rifle as well, that'd be great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm so far out of my realm on this.

To go after Coyotes at 400+ yards, you should be looking for a thermal clip-on.

First and foremost, what is your budget?

To go after Coyotes at 400+ yards, you should be looking for a thermal clip-on.

First and foremost, what is your budget?
I've talked with one guy about Thermals and he didn't sound all that confident in their ability at a distance. I'd also like to ideally see through a scope that I'm used to.

As far as budget goes, I don't need the absolute best, but I'd set the budget at what it takes to do it right.