• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Help Setting Up S&B PMII Scope

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I've set up several lesser scopes with and without rails in the past and thought I'd have no problem setting up my new S&B 5-25x56 PMII. However, after reading the instructions, I'm thoroughly confused. I called EuroOptic (dealer I purchased from) as I'd read that they had helped others set-up their scopes. Unfortunately the individual I talked to had no experience with S&B and was not familiar with either the instructions or procedure.

In the past, I've just centered the elevation, then adjusted downward an appropriate amount for the rail (20MOA, 6milrad), established a zero from that point by shooting the rifle and then reset the turrets to re-select that point as "zero". My problem is that S&B says to start at the "zero" of the lowest turn of the DT turret. That point is essentially the lowest elevation setting (within 3 clicks) so there is no way to adjust downward to compensate for the rail "elevation". So I'm obviously missing something, either in translation or comprehension.

Any help would someone familiar the S&B setup would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Dave

I think S&B justs wants to be ready for the 40MOA and higher bases. Better your first shot be low. I set mine like they said, shot paper at 50m and calculated the mrad adjustment to zero. Second shot was close enough to move to 100m for final zero. Then I reset the DT turret to zero.

Set your rifle in a stable position (e.g., bipod and rear bag), and with the bolt removed, look down the bore of the rifle to big white poster board sized target at 100 yds. Once set, and without touching the rifle, move the cross hairs on the center of the target by adjusting elevation and windage. This should get you at least on paper. Adjust windage and elevation the appropriate amount of mils or MOA to get you centered. Then remove the two hex screws, take the turret off, set the turret back on at the zero point and lock the screws back in. Nice and easy.

If your scope bottoms out when trying to set the zero, just remove the two hex screws and reposition the turret to give you more travel.

NVZM pointed out that the PMII has the reticle moved off mechanical center by about half its total travel (about 13mrads, 45 MOA), i.e., right at the limit of its travel. (Another area of the instructions also mention this.) So using a 20mm MOA (6 milrad) rail means it will shoot low if initially fired at the turret zero point. Thus I would need to have to come UP to get the mechanical center closer to the to the actual zero. I think this is the same thing ww-g is saying. We'll see at the range tomorrow:D

Thanks for the help---

DT turrets correct? First, don't forget to loosen the 2 set screws on the turret and lift the turret high enough """so the 2cnd turn rod is not engaged""", then retighten one set screw with turret in that higher position. Sight in like normal, loosen set screw while holding turret up in that higher position now turn the turret to zero and push down flush and retighten both screws. Do this with both turrets not just elevation.