• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need help. Viper Holdovers

Alison Gunn

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
I need help figuring out my holdovers on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA. I looked every where for more info and all I could find was a subtension chart which I really do not understand. I am still very new to precision shooting and still trying to figure things out. Feel free to flame me I don't care, I just need help learning things. My zero will be a 100 yards. Also being that it is a SFP Scope will my mils only work at max power?

Here is the chart for the scope. Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 PA
http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/sub_vpr_s_6-20x44_bdc.jpg

Here is the rifle
700 Tactical .308 in AICS
IMG026.jpg

Thanks for the help. ^^

Re: Need help. Viper Holdovers

we need info like load data.

that said the easiest way to figure out holdovers is to go shoot. computer data is great but why not just sight in at 100 like you plan to and see where the bullet lands at longer ranges with pratice

If you will go to the Vortex web site and start up the long range ballisic calculator there, it will give you all you need. Just select what reticle you have and fill out the load data, environmental conditions, and zero distance and it will give you a trajectory chart as well as the holdover values for your reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we need info like load data.

that said the easiest way to figure out holdovers is to go shoot. computer data is great but why not just sight in at 100 like you plan to and see where the bullet lands at longer ranges with pratice</div></div>

I don't have access to a range longer than 100 yards at the moment other wise I would. I'll try the calculator thing on the website that J. Tull mentioned. I am shooting 168gr out of a 1 in 12, 20 inch barrel. If that info helps any.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alison Gunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we need info like load data.

that said the easiest way to figure out holdovers is to go shoot. computer data is great but why not just sight in at 100 like you plan to and see where the bullet lands at longer ranges with pratice</div></div>

I don't have access to a range longer than 100 yards at the moment other wise I would. I'll try the calculator thing on the website that J. Tull mentioned. I am shooting 168gr out of a 1 in 12, 20 inch barrel. If that info helps any. </div></div>

The really useful part of that calculator is that it gives you the ability adjust your trajectory to your load in your rifle. For example, it will predict a certain amount of drop at say, 600 yards. If your load rifle combination shoots with say 1.5 mils more drop, you can enter the true impact distance at that range and it will reverse calculate to what your real muzzle velocity is for that load in your rifle and create a new trajectory chart and holdover arrangement based on the "calibrated" velocity. You need to do this at the longest possible distance as there wont be as much difference at shorter ranges and thus it would most likely not be nearly as accurate as if done at longer ranges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The really useful part of that calculator is that it gives you the ability adjust your trajectory to your load in your rifle. For example, it will predict a certain amount of drop at say, 600 yards. If your load rifle combination shoots with say 1.5 mils more drop, you can enter the true impact distance at that range and it will reverse calculate to what your real muzzle velocity is for that load in your rifle and create a new trajectory chart and holdover arrangement based on the "calibrated" velocity. You need to do this at the longest possible distance as there wont be as much difference at shorter ranges and thus it would most likely not be nearly as accurate as if done at longer ranges. </div></div>

Alright thanks, I actually understood that lol. As for my other question. My holdovers are only accurate at max power right? And thanks for all the help by the way, most people just tell me off for not knowing everything or ignore me.

Yes sir, makes prefect sense. Thank you so much for your help. I am beginning to understand the language a lot better now.
laugh.gif

The LRBC software is very intuitive. If you access via the Vortex website, you just enter your ballistic data, select your vortex reticle and then print out subtensions at whichever mag you desire. The software will automatically change the yardage

I like the deadhold reticle, it is moa/moa of sorts, but the windage and drops are in increments that are darn close to mil as well. The drops are .4, 1.3, 2.2, and 3.2 mil.

I have tested the ranging using the MOA formula and it is good to go.

18" sign at 427Y I read 4.25 moa (top of dot) 18*100/4.25 = 423

swag with mil, 18*27.77/1.2 = 416

Shooting at 12" or 18" steel you should be able to get hits with mil holds as well.

So I could actually do some ranging data with my scope then? That is nice to know as I have yet to pick up a decent range finder. Was thinking about a Nikon 550 but I don't know if they are worth the money.