• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help w/ring height on m1a

Wallygator

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Albany, OR
I am looking at putting a bushnell 10x scope on my M1A. I will be using an ARMS #18 mount. I do not have them yet. I won a gift certificate for Warne rings and would like to use them, the problem is that I don't know what height rings to get to clear the rear sight? I would like the scope as low as possible without hitting the rear sight.

The rings come in height: .250, .375, .525, .650 measured from the top of the base to the bottom of the scope.

Here is a link to the scope dimensions: bushnell 10x

Thanks
Wallygator

Re: Need help w/ring height on m1a

Unless your Warne certificate expires before you expect to receiver your ARMS mount, I suggest you wait until you have it and you have it mounted on the rifle before selecting your rings.

The only way to make sure that you are getting the optimal rings for your setup is to make the measurements yourself (Also...don't always trust the measurements provided by MidwayUSA and other companies because they don't always have consistency...i.e., they may not have measured the total OD of the bell of the scope or the objective which are 2 critical measurements for selecting rings). Because of the extremely low position of the ARMS mount over the receiver, you not only have to worry about the rear sight contacting the magnification ring or scope body, but also front bell hitting the handguard if you go too low on your rings.

Also, if you haven't ordered the ARMS yet...I suggest that you look hard at the Sadlak mounts before dropping the cash on the ARMS.

Good luck and enjoy your M1A!!