• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with 375 Raptor barrel contour

ShadowAviator

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2021
Kansas
I am consider building an "AR10" in 375 Raptor. Standard Aero M5 Enhanced build mostly, but with 375 raptor instead of 308. The purpose of the rifle would be for hunting, so I wanted to keep it to a reasonable weight. ( I know a bolt gun would be lighter, but wanted an AR10 project. I may rebarrel my Tikka to 375 raptor in the future.)

18" with midlength gas is what I was planning on for the barrel.

When I called X-Caliber to ask which barrel contour was lightest, the guy I talked said the socom heavy was the lightest they would want to go on the 375 caliber barrel. He said they would want the .875 gasblock instead of the .750. This was suprising because I have seen where people have gotten them in the SPR contour.

The socom heavy is .850 to the gas block, .875 gasblock, then .850 the rest of the way.

The SPR is .850 to the gasblock, .750 gasblock, then .730 the rest of the way.

I was hoping maybe some 375 raptor owners could chime in. Have any of you gotten the 375 raptor in their SPR contour?

Maybe X-Caliber stopped making them with the .750 gas block, because they got worried about wall thickness?

I think the SPR contour would be nice consider it would cut some weight and help the rifle balance a bit better. The socom heavy contour is around 3 lbs.

Reactions: SAUMuvabitch
I am consider building an "AR10" in 375 Raptor. Standard Aero M5 Enhanced build mostly, but with 375 raptor instead of 308. The purpose of the rifle would be for hunting, so I wanted to keep it to a reasonable weight. ( I know a bolt gun would be lighter, but wanted an AR10 project. I may rebarrel my Tikka to 375 raptor in the future.)

18" with midlength gas is what I was planning on for the barrel.

When I called X-Caliber to ask which barrel contour was lightest, the guy I talked said the socom heavy was the lightest they would want to go on the 375 caliber barrel. He said they would want the .875 gasblock instead of the .750. This was suprising because I have seen where people have gotten them in the SPR contour.

The socom heavy is .850 to the gas block, .875 gasblock, then .850 the rest of the way.

The SPR is .850 to the gasblock, .750 gasblock, then .730 the rest of the way.

I was hoping maybe some 375 raptor owners could chime in. Have any of you gotten the 375 raptor in their SPR contour?

Maybe X-Caliber stopped making them with the .750 gas block, because they got worried about wall thickness?

I think the SPR contour would be nice consider it would cut some weight and help the rifle balance a bit better. The socom heavy contour is around 3 lbs.
Did you get any help? Have you ordered the barrel?

Mos Tek also sells barrels. Seems they may have a .750 gas block option.

Did you get any help? Have you ordered the barrel?

Mos Tek also sells barrels. Seems they may have a .750 gas block option.
I havent ordered a barrel, yet. When I am ready to start the build I will probably go with Mos Tek.

I called them and they said they could make a .750 gas block option. Customer service seems pretty good so far, so hopefully all goes well when I get ready to order.

Reactions: SAUMuvabitch