• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help With 6.5 PRC Load Data

Josh1978

1 Mile
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
KS
Does anyone have any load data for 6.5 PRC using the Berger 144gr LRHT bullets? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Does anyone have any load data for 6.5 PRC using the Berger 144gr LRHT bullets? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
I have not tried Berger but have had good luck out of 145gr Barnes match burner I’m getting good group up to 875 yards 3/8 Moa I use imr 7977 and it gives me about the same results as h1000 which I can’t find often I have found several nodes in this bullet it likes to jump if you are interested in my load just let me know

I have not tried Berger but have had good luck out of 145gr Barnes match burner I’m getting good group up to 875 yards 3/8 Moa I use imr 7977 and it gives me about the same results as h1000 which I can’t find often I have found several nodes in this bullet it likes to jump if you are interested in my load just let me know
Great! I would be interested in the data you have. Thanks, Josh

This l
Great! I would be interested in the data you have. Thanks, Josh
. This load is what works in my gun don’t mean it will work in yours that said I have 26" shilling barrel I jump these about .50 off lan. Some say even more jump works better that is mag Length for me I have good node at 56 gr of 7977 runs about 2920 also good node about 57.2 there is one more but you might hit pressure if you try this bullet and powder I would just start at 56 and work your way up see what you get this powder shines at about max load will probably give you better speed if you go to max but I’m not a speed junkie I don’t plan on shooting 1500 yards so 2900 to 3000 works fine for me and saves brass and barrel

This l
. This load is what works in my gun don’t mean it will work in yours that said I have 26" shilling barrel I jump these about .50 off lan. Some say even more jump works better that is mag Length for me I have good node at 56 gr of 7977 runs about 2920 also good node about 57.2 there is one more but you might hit pressure if you try this bullet and powder I would just start at 56 and work your way up see what you get this powder shines at about max load will probably give you better speed if you go to max but I’m not a speed junkie I don’t plan on shooting 1500 yards so 2900 to 3000 works fine for me and saves brass and barrel
Thanks for the info. I am going to load up a small batch in the next couple of days. I am getting old but if I can remember I will let you know how things go.
On a side note; when I load 147gr eld match bullets to an O.A,L. Of 2.995 I am sitting off the lands about .030”. If I load the Berger’s to the same length, I am off the lands .111”.

Reactions: 6.5teague
The barns ar similar I
Thanks for the info. I am going to load up a small batch in the next couple of days. I am getting old but if I can remember I will let you know how things go.
On a side note; when I load 147gr eld match bullets to an O.A,L. Of 2.995 I am sitting off the lands about .030”. If I load the Berger’s to the same length, I am off the lands .111”.
i have jump the 140 barns that far in my 6.5 creedmoor it liked it some of these bullets like to jump yea let me know how your load goes

I bought a lb of imr 8133, then laid into 15lbs of h1000. Never tried the imr, but the 7977 looked like it was closer in burn rate to h1000. I got 2945 with 140s in a 22" and 3090 with 140s in a 26" shilen, with h1000. Care to say what your upper node speed was, i don't need to know charge weight, just what 7977 would do.

To be 100% honest, I haven’t purchased a chronograph yet. I hope to go pick one up this weekend if time permits. As soon as I get everything set up I will definitely let you know.

Reactions: 6brshooter
Josh, VV n-165 is the coolest burning powder and is well-suited to your cartridge capacity and bullet weights. Single-base, relatively temp stable, and may get you longer bbl life in this hot rod. Accuracy is excellent, fouling minimal. Trade-off is you give away 100 fps or so at the top node. In working up a load, you can save time and bbl life by shooting one-shot ladders. Take the center of the node and load 3 at +- a tenth grain, and your center. Shoot these 3 shot groups at your maximum range. Don’t hesitate to go straight to 1000 With this test. Start each original ladder at a powder chug low enough so you won’t miss the low node, and go up on 0.3 grain increments. Shoot exactly the same POA for each shot and mark each impact on a spare tgt at the bench, and number each. a chrono (not a magnetospeed, yet)helps in avoiding a too-hot load, as does the felt recoil and the sound of the system. This is the original Creighton Audette method. It allows quick screening of various powders and seating depths. Always run a light cleaning between powder brands and then burn 3-4 fouling shots with the bottom end of your powder distribution. Maintaining an even bbl temp is best. You can carry several powder sweeps, placed sequentially, in an ammo box, and accomplish a great deal at 100 yds in one session. Best of luck, Seymour

Josh, VV n-165 is the coolest burning powder and is well-suited to your cartridge capacity and bullet weights. Single-base, relatively temp stable, and may get you longer bbl life in this hot rod. Accuracy is excellent, fouling minimal. Trade-off is you give away 100 fps or so at the top node. In working up a load, you can save time and bbl life by shooting one-shot ladders. Take the center of the node and load 3 at +- a tenth grain, and your center. Shoot these 3 shot groups at your maximum range. Don’t hesitate to go straight to 1000 With this test. Start each original ladder at a powder chug low enough so you won’t miss the low node, and go up on 0.3 grain increments. Shoot exactly the same POA for each shot and mark each impact on a spare tgt at the bench, and number each. a chrono (not a magnetospeed, yet)helps in avoiding a too-hot load, as does the felt recoil and the sound of the system. This is the original Creighton Audette method. It allows quick screening of various powders and seating depths. Always run a light cleaning between powder brands and then burn 3-4 fouling shots with the bottom end of your powder distribution. Maintaining an even bbl temp is best. You can carry several powder sweeps, placed sequentially, in an ammo box, and accomplish a great deal at 100 yds in one session. Best of luck, Seymour
Thank you for the info. I don’t have any of that powder on hand but will keep my eye out for some.
Thanks again,
Josh

I noticed that you stated to use a chronograph and not a magneto speed. What type of chronograph do you prefer and why not a magneto speed?
Thanks,

I noticed that you stated to use a chronograph and not a magneto speed. What type of chronograph do you prefer and why not a magneto speed?
Thanks,
Magnetospeed , as a weight at the muzzle, could ruin your ladder. Great after you have found your node and need MV info

Yes please. I would like the data I have plenty of h1000

I bought a lb of imr 8133, then laid into 15lbs of h1000. Never tried the imr, but the 7977 looked like it was closer in burn rate to h1000. I got 2945 with 140s in a 22" and 3090 with 140s in a 26" shilen, with h1000. Care to say what your upper node speed was, i don't need to know charge weight, just what 7977 would do.
7977 you’ll use slightly less charge weight than H1000 for same velocity. 7977 being a double base powder vs H1000 being a single base.
8133 you’ll need more charge weight to get same velocity as H1000. You might not be able to get enough 8133 in case to equal H1000 velocity.
Cartridge and bullet dependent as to how much different but above has held true in cartridges and bullet weights I’ve used 7977 / 8133.

Reactions: 6brshooter
I was getting about 2900ish with the 145 gr bullet on 26" Barrel but be careful with this it shows pressure quick when it does also the nodes seem to be a little wider in h1000

20201123_125221.jpg
20201123_125334.jpg
20201123_130223.jpg

I did a retune on my 6.5prc, think ill stick with h1000 till my 12lbs are gone. 140eldm@3080, 6.1sd on 10rds, 2 5 shot groups.

Edit: 5rd groups, not 6.

Last edited:
What load did you settle on? Getting ready to mess with 140 Bergers and H1000.

did a retune on my 6.5prc, think ill stick with h1000 till my 12lbs are gone. 140eldm@3080, 6.1sd on 10rds, 2 6 shot groups.

Seymour, would you give me a suggested starting load for N-165 in 6.5 PRC with Hornady 140 gr Interlock or 147 gr ELD? I'm using the 140 gr for barrel break-in, and have a quantity of N-165. Thank you!