• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Need help with a big Enfield project

neutronics

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2008
Los Angeles, Calif.
Didn't find anything on search; tried posting to my local smiths (at calguns.net) but no results!!

Here's the situation. The gun belongs to my uncle, who is an old war-horse that served in Korea and Vietnam. He's in his 70s and feeling his mortality. He has an Enfield that's been a work in progress for the past 20 years or so and I'd like for him to be able to shoot it before he goes to that big rifle range in the sky.

The rifle has been worked on by a previous smith (who is unknown to me) but not completed. The metal work the previous smith did is middling to rough, but the receiver looks good/serviceable. The rifle is currently sitting in an unfinished Boyd's stock that needs final inletting. The bolt has been modified to a "butterknife" handle, but the metal work looks like crap. The original rear sight has also been cut off and the receiver polished. This work looks reasonable.

This is what I'm looking to get done:

-Repair/replace bolt and install "sporter" handle/knob.

-Full accuracy job (square and shim bolt, etc.)

-Rebarrel to a 20" .30-06. Barrel profile is gunsmith's choice. After I inherit the gun, it will be a 1,000 yarder, something to keep in mind when selecting twist.

-Drill/tap to accept a scope base, or solder/welded-on base.

-Fit and finish the exisitng stock or switch to a high-grade walnut stock.

-Bed the receiver to the stock.

-Gunsmith's choice of recoil pad.

-Refinish barrel/receiver to high-gloss blue.

-Jewel bolt body

-Trigger job.

-Basically clean-up/repair/replace any rough metal; trigger, trigger guard, etc.

I do not have any experience in Enfields, so a lot of this work and parts selection is GUNSMITH'S CHOICE. With the existing parts and modifications to the gun the only thing I would like to see is a high-gloss blued finish on the barrel/receiver, jeweled bolt body, and high-gloss finish on the wood. Basically an "AFRICAN BIG GAME" look.

I will gladly accept Hide recommendations on gunsmiths, and am totally open to direct solicitations from 'smiths in this thread. If a portfolio is available I would like to see it. I want this rifle to be a top-notch looker and shooter when it's done.

Thanks guys, I really hope to make this project come alive for my uncle.

Re: Need help with a big Enfield project

Since you're in LA, I would recomend Bain and Davis in San Gabriel. Swing by and tell them what you want. Very easy to work with.

DO SOME MORE RESEARCH ON THAT BOLT.
the .303 enfield cartridgre is a rimmed cartridge and the 30-06 is rimless.
you might be able to find a bolt for the indian enfields that were converted to .308

A couple things:

1. 30-06 will not fit in a No4 magazine.
2. .308 magazines for No4s are rare, Ishapore mags will not fit.
3. scoping an enfield properly is extremely difficult due to the lack of a rear bridge. The only practical solution for a low-mounted scope is either the WW2 no4T pads/mount or the Parker Hale Enforcer rear mount that replaces the rear sight. Both are expensive and rare.

Lee Enfields cannot be modified like Mausers, they are what they are. If you take the scope and caliber off your wish list the rest is possible.

is this a smle or a p14, or p17 enfield? Big differences.

skog

If it's a early P17 (also known as the Enfield model 1917) there is a large group of serial numbered receivers that were suspected to have not been heat treated properly, so rebarreling is not recommended.

Take and post a couple of pictures. If it's as big a project as you think it'll be, then let those here who are willing help you out with it.

"Introduction to Gunsmithing" by Harold E. MacFarland
Page 110 to page 136 is about sporterizing the Model 1917 and pattern '14 Enfield actions.

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-modern-gunsmithing-Harold-MacFarland/dp/0064634264

I have not sporterized one, but I have sporterized Mausers and Mosin Nagants.

The extra work with the 1917 and P14 needs to be justified with a long cartridge like a 375 H&H or be a family heirloom, or something.
Just read about the steps and look at the pictures of sporterizing and you will see how much work there is to be done.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. It is a P17 Eddystone.

Here are some pics. BTW it is chambered for .30-06 so far as I can tell; a .30-06 cartridge fits into the chamber and into the boltface (I did not close the bolt).

This is where the rear sight has been cut off and receiver polished:

1103091856a.jpg

How the gun looks in the Boyd's stock...

1103091856b.jpg

Bolt converted to "butterknife" handle. I am not thrilled with the metalwork.

1103091857.jpg

Closeup...

1103091857a.jpg

Underneath...

1103091857c.jpg

And .30-06 cartridge snapped into the boltface.

1103091858.jpg

After viewing the pics, do you guys think I should still dump the scope idea? It seems that mounting irons on this thing would be just as difficult!

i have this same rifle built by winchester. My dad had worked the trigger and bolt, put it in a sport stock, but gave it to me after not using it. It shoots 30-06 pretty accurate with the iron sites. So i ordered a B-square scope mount and cheap Leapers to see how it goes with glass.

i'll let you know how it shoots after Thxgiving

BTW, the rear iron sight wont work to well on yours if you're using the original parts being that the ears have been machined off

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarKnight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update us on this project, Neut </div></div>

No movement yet. I'm having a hard time tying it all together. I wouldn't mind doing the work myself, but I'm not so sure that the receiver and boltwork is safe to shoot and would prefer to have a competent 'smith check it over.