• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help with a name

Lead Heads

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
I am getting ready to open a gun shop in Ft. Worth Texas. I have everything ready to go including lease space. I need some ideas about a good name. I have a few in mind but wanted to see if anything else catches my ear. If I use your name I will give you free swag (t shirt, hat) with the company name. So, what you got? Thanks.

How about Tex-Mex Guns. Makes it sound like you are not just anther red-neck (white man) gun shop owner. This name would fit well with the Ft. Worth Texas demographic.

Rich L

I am getting ready to open a gun shop in Ft. Worth Texas. I have everything ready to go including lease space. I need some ideas about a good name. I have a few in mind but wanted to see if anything else catches my ear. If I use your name I will give you free swag (t shirt, hat) with the company name. So, what you got? Thanks.

Double T Tactical!

Tactical as Fuck is hard to beat!

Maybe Too Fucking Tactical or TFT Armory or something along those lines to it has a double meaning. "Oh yeah we're the Armory of Ft. Worth Texas, hence TFT... ok it's really just Too Fucking Tactical."

Seriously though, every time someone says the word tactical another liberal is born. Swear.

Okay guys I appreciate all your help. I am an up standing member here on the hide and military vet.. I do appreciate the humor. I am seriously looking for a few good names to consider. Please don't shit on my thread.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Okay guys I appreciate all your help. I am in up standing member here on the hide. I do appreciate the humor. I am seriously looking for a few good names to consider. Please don't shit on my thread.

On a serious note then: Will the store specialize in anything in particular like precision builds? What services will your business provide and what's the inventory look like? A name, IMO should answer those types of questions. I take it it's not a range/shop combo.

Services planned, like most gun shops. Off the shelf hand guns, bolt action rifles, shotguns, semi auto rifles, as well as precision rifle bolt action and semi's. Gunsmith services and upgrade parts.

What market are you trying to hit? Are you going to be fighting for contracts with local law enforcement? Are you going to compete with prices on base out there? Are you going to have a range connected to the store? Maybe in the future have a range connected, maybe not physically but corporate wise.

Professional & Recreational Shooters Supply

People like a family company as opposed to a anonymous sounding "tactical supply" or something like that. I would suggest that you use your last name for the company name, that way if you are really a standup solid company and care for your customers, you will make your name well known, and trusted. Samuel Colt, John Browning, and Oscar Mossberg are some good examples.

But at the end of the day, the success of your company will have less to do with the name, and everything to do with how you treat your customers. If you can't speak knowledgeably about what is on your shelves, or you treat your customer's like shit, you'll be out of business in the blink of an eye. But if you really care about your customers, then they will begin to trust and respect you, and your customers then become your advertising base, letting their shooting friends know that "those guys really know what their talking about".

Well, that's just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

Good luck.

A name is just a name as long as it does not drive off any segment of your prospective market. Tactical to me means ar-15 junky accessories. If thats your target market go with something like that. No offense to your hide name intended.

If you're selling used Holland & Holland shotguns that may not work. If you have no intention on national sales. A reference to your local geographic intended market may help.

"Choosing a name for your business

The first thing a customer will notice about your business is its name. Creating the right first impression is essential, but not as easy as it looks, as Afsheen Latif finds out

Inspiration for business names can come from almost anywhere. Some names are playful, such as The Cod Father fish and chip shop. Others, such as The Village Bakery, are more functional.

But all effective business names project a strong image that sticks in the mind of customers. Whether you are re-naming a developing business or starting a new one, the name you choose could make a serious difference to your chances of success.

"The wrong name can project an unclear identity about your business, whereas a strong name can accelerate brand awareness," explains David Thorp, director of research at the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
Factors to consider when choosing your business name

Think about your target market, your product or service and the image you want to project. Is it better for your name to be functional or creative? Should it convey personality or reliability? Pick the wrong one and you could be stuck with it for a long time.

"The safest bet is the 'does what it says on the can' approach to business naming," stresses Thorp. "Early Learning Centre and Kentucky Fried Chicken are good examples. A name that has relevance identifies the company clearly - perhaps Habitat, therefore, is a better name than Ikea.

"But whatever style of name you choose, it should differentiate you from competitors," he continues. "Naming your company A1 Cars may get you a listing at the top of the phone book, but customers will struggle to remember if you were AA Cabs or A Star Drivers next time they want to book a taxi."
Pitfalls to avoid

When thinking of names, steer clear of those which are a mouthful when you answer the phone, that would look awkward on stationery, or are tricky to type as a web address. Avoid anything that could restrict your business development.

"Names that restrict a company to its geographical location can create problems," Thorp explains. "Western Hotels became Western International and finally Westin.

"Using your personal name can be limiting, too, especially in a service industry where clients may feel they are not getting their money's worth when Mr Smith is no longer able to handle their business personally," he adds.
Legal constraints

Before committing to a name, search the National Business Register to check the name you want to use has not been registered or trademarked by another business, and that the website address is available.

You must also avoid using words such as 'National', 'Royal' or 'Chartered' which could bring legal action. If you are a sole trader or partnership, you cannot include the words 'limited', 'Ltd' or 'plc', but you are allowed to register the same name as another business - providing it does not trade near you or is nationally known.

"While a Mr Harrod might fancy opening a shop called Harrods, it probably wouldn't be a good idea," Thorp concludes. "
Choosing a name for your business | Marketing Donut

The Best Way to Name Your Product 2.0
by Marco Bertini, John Gourville, and Elie Ofek

When managers at the golf equipment company Callaway launched the successor to its Big Bertha driver, in 1995, they faced a challenge: What should they call it? They settled on Great Big Bertha, which was followed two years later by Biggest Big Bertha. It’s a clever progression—but is it the right way to name next-generation products?

Although there’s ample research to guide marketers in naming new products, little of it has addressed follow-on offerings, even though these make up the bulk of new products in industries ranging from automobiles to digital cameras.

Companies have two basic strategies to choose from. They can stick with a name, as Cadillac did during the 45-year run of its Coupe de Ville—often adding a sequential indicator, as Callaway did with its Berthas. We call this brand-name continuation. Or they can come up with a new name for the next version, as Nintendo did with its N64, GameCube, and Wii gaming platforms. We call this brand-name change.

Which strategy works best? It depends. In laboratory and field studies involving hundreds of subjects, we found that when consumers see a brand-name continuation, they expect improvements to existing features. When they see a brand-name change, they expect fundamentally new features, and they perceive the product as riskier (likelier to fail or more prone to compatibility problems with previous products) but potentially more rewarding (higher in quality, more satisfying to use). These findings suggest three questions that managers choosing next-generation names should explore:

What is the target market’s attitude toward risk and reward?

Consumers’ risk tolerance varies widely from one demographic to another. Young people typically accept risk in exchange for greater reward; for example, they often prefer an entirely new video game despite the higher likelihood of glitches. The Wii was Nintendo’s fifth home video game console; its name change signaled a dramatic departure from previous generations. Microsoft Office caters to business users who care more about consistency than novelty, so it uses brand-name continuation to highlight its reliability.

What are the consequences if things go wrong?

Consumers’ perceptions of risk depend in part on the setting. Error is less acceptable in business and social contexts than in private. Whereas Honda wisely stuck with Accord for each iteration of its family sedan, Gillette gave new razors their own names (Sensor, Fusion). In addition, the possibility of error is more easily tolerated when backups are available. In one lab experiment we conducted, subjects asked to select a new camera for a vacation typically chose a next-generation model with a new name when a family member would also be taking a camera; otherwise they opted for a (presumably) more reliable same-name camera.

What is the competitive landscape?

Your relative strength in the market also matters. In the mid- to late 1990s, AMD’s K5 and K6 microprocessors trailed Intel’s Pentium series in sales. So in 1999 AMD gave a new name, Athlon, to its next-generation processor, which did much better in the marketplace than its predecessors had.

Names set expectations. Above all, make sure your product delivers on them. Because it had a new name, Microsoft’s Vista operating system primed consumers to expect dramatically new capabilities that the software did not actually have. The company thus mismanaged expectations. Callaway’s brand-name continuation pointed to steady but not radical improvements—a perfect message for golfers, who don’t want surprises to ruin their games.
The Best Way to Name Your Product 2.0 - Harvard Business Review

You can send my t-shirt and ball cap to Safi. Victory has his address. Include a infants size for Victory's son.
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/bear-pit/248876-afghan-interpeter-updated-2.html

Those seem like pretty good inputs ^

If your gun smithing services include things like truing actions and threading, fluting stuff like that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the word precision in the name. Also, you as the owner should have your own touch on it. Whatever you decide to name it, let us know when it's open. I'll drop by for sure. Now buying something's a different story :p

My market base will be from beginner shooter to advanced marksmen there are a lot of Federal employees that are gun nuts in the area. I will also be selling class 3 arms. I do plan on internet sells as well. I do plan on working with LEOs and bidding on contracts in the future. A range is a part of my 3 year plan.
Here is a small list of names suggested by friends and family
Tac Driver Firearms - or Guns & Ammo
Contact Right Firearms - or Guns & Ammo
Dragon Fire Guns & Ammo ( my son was born the year of the Dragon 2012) hope to hand the business down to him one day.
Trident Firearms - or Guns and Ammo
Texas Arms Company
Empire Firearms -or Guns & Ammo
I have looked into some of these names to see if the names are being used or not.

Last edited:
Here is a small list of names suggested by friends and family
Tac Driver Firearms - or Guns & Ammo
Contact Right Firearms - or Guns & Ammo
Dragon Fire Guns & Ammo ( my son was born the year of the Dragon 2012) hope to hand the business down to him one day.
Trident Firearms - or Guns and Ammo
Texas Arms Company
Empire Firearms -or Guns & Ammo
I have looked into some of these names to see if the names are being used or not.

Texas Firearms

too many Guns & Ammo already. https://www.google.ca/search?q=texa...&+ammo&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&spell=1

There were two predominant native tribes in that area- the Caddo and Wichita.... Then again you'd probably get sued....
There are also some nasty snakes-Copperheads, Cotton mouth,rattlers etc... also scorpions....and don't forget chiggers!
There are rivers and creeks there...why not Trinity River Arms?
Or Clear Fork Tactical or Clear Fork Armory or West Fork Armory....

Last edited:
Having been in the Metroplex for the last 56 years and thinking off all the shops that have come and gone, the ones that I remember the names of were/are Ray's, Smitty's, Wiley's (worked there as a teenager). Ray's is still around. They sell hardware as well. I remember if it got to crowded, he would turn the lights off like they were closing until a few people left. There is a shop in Plano I visit occasionally that is family owned. Friendly people but I could not tell you the name of the store. Maybe my brain was less cluttered when the other names stuck! Cheaper Than Dirt always stuck but I always refused to go there because of the name. Now, I refuse to go there for other reasons. Names are important.

How about Trinity River Outpost or Trinity River Arms & Ammo

"The city was established in 1849 as an Army outpost on a bluff overlooking the Trinity River."

Have you considered using your forum name? Tac Driver Tactical LLC has a nice flow to it. Could even use TDT for short and come with your own logo to use for shirts and hats, use something along the lines of cross hairs and tacks.

Ft. Worth Firearms and Gunworks

You can even put crosshairs in the O with the reticle of your choice to indicate precision rifles.

Last edited:
You need something quick and easy. Something that roles off the tounge when people talk about your shop. No one wants to say " hey I'm headed to tactical supply of fort worth Texas and armory"

TAC
Empire
Gillies

Lone Star Precious Metals (either the "precious metals which are dispensed" or the metal that guns are made out of
Lead Slingers
Alamo Outfitters (not exactly correct in geography, but more for the heritage of what occured)

If your doing class 3 stuff you could work that in as well, Silent Thunder Armory or something like that

Lone Star Arms - We put the Fort in Fort Worth...

Texas Triggers - A family-friendly place for all your shooting sports and self-defense needs

On The Range - Shooting supplies for your Home, the Range, or Where the Buffalo Roam...

over the border arms

texarmscanI

FORT what it's WORTH arms

Lone star guns and gear

home on the range

ACME (arms, customization, munitions, expertise)

Ranger arms

tejas arms and ammo (Texas, based on the Caddo word tejas meaning "friends" or "allies")

smaller than alaska arms

T28 arms and more (texas was the 28th state)