• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help with bullet runout

KOOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2012
Michigan
I'm using Virgin Lapua brass(308 win. I neck turned using a Sinclair Model 1500 Neck Turning Tool with the attachment for a drill. I'm using 155 scenars. Everything is the same lot. I'm getting up to 2-5 thousandths run-out with my Redding competition seating die in a rock chucker press.

Whats causing my high runouts? what should I be getting?

Re: Need Help with bullet runout

Have you even shot them to see how they perform?

I've shot some. Getting groups anywhere from .37 inches to 1.5 inches.

Also the parallax on my US optics 3.2-17 ergo needs to be set at a much higher distance to be parallax free than the marking show.

No offense, but I think you are chasing your tail trying to get rid of runout. Were I in your shoes, I'd get the scope fixed and/or ditch it for a new one, and focus on shooting more. If you are getting .37 groups, I'd say your squared away with the load.

Hate to ask but are you reading 2 to 5 Thou. on your run out gauge or 4 to 10 Thou. ?

That's what I thought.
You need to take that 2-5 and split it in half and that's your true run out.
So your run out actually measures 1-2.5 Thous.
Which is well within reason.

AtOne
Please explain splitting in half the indicator reading, im missing something there!
Thanx

Here's a good explanation of it already

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KOOoutdoors</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes please explain
</div></div>

In any event, runout less than 0.003 (or even 0.004) does so little damage to accuracy, that you can ignore it as a problem (until you start shooting in the zeros (0.0xx 5 shot groups).)

I guess I never thought of it (total versus actual runout) this way. I have been measuring and recording total runout, as indicated by the total movement of the needle. Since I began measuring runout, I have worked hard to minimize runout. Learning that the actual runout may be one-half of what I have been measuring makes me feel twice as good about my reloading process!

new brass is`nt straight.full length resize..USING the expander ball.lubricate the inside necks first...with...Imperial Die sizing wax.... on a .22 mop. ......this will give resonably consistent neck tension.seat bullet out to touch the lands....SHOOT.... you may be surprised how accurate they are.....
THEN CHECK RUNOUT.... of the cases/bullets....they should be better...
That`s the way I do/have done it for 35 years and it works...
bill larson

For the inside of the necks especially after annealing, I stack the cases in a loading block and hit the inside of the case mouths at a 45 degree angle with Hornady One Shot and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Then I use Imperial to size with, Its worked great for adding just enough lube for the expander to slide easier.