• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help with Caliber Choice, .260?

Thanks long range. That was the problem. I didn't have a great idea about the difference in cost. I think if I was proficient with reloading right now, I might think differently. But with my skill level, and considering costs, .308 just makes more sense. Then maybe I'll take a look at something different.

IMG_3106_zps3c64947d.jpg

Savage short action
McMillan HTG
McGowen 20" 260 Rem barrel

I've got under a thousand bucks in the rifle which weighs (I'd guess) 9lb, and the barrel pushes 142 SMKs at 2700fps+.

If you didn't want to build, you could look at something like a 11 Predator Max in 260 and drop it in a Manners or McMillan stock and you'd save a little weight will still being within your $1500 rifle budget.

BUT...both are Savages.

If your total budget is $3500, and you are interested in a 3-15x FFP, you can get there.

SWFA SS 3-15x FFP, rings, base: <$1000
Stock of your choice with bottom metal : <$1000
700ADL donor from Academy, barrel from Bugholes, Timney trigger, shipped off to a reputable smith to be built: $1500ish

I am currently shooting .308 and as many have said it's a terrific round to learn on. Meanwhile, I have a .260 barrel ready to screw on my AI Arctic Warfare as soon as I can find some H4350. While Lapua now makes .260 brass, you can always neck down .308 in a pinch.

I've been told that I will never want to screw my .308 barrel back on once I go the .260 route.

Thanks! I decided to get a Tikka Sporter .308 with a 24" barrel. I mentioned on another post, but I may decide to go .260 after learning on the .308. But I need to learn to reload first!

Echoing much of what has been said, and from a guy with a bit less experience with this particular type of rifle than many on The Hide, I'm casting my vote... For the type of rifle we're talking about here I have a 308 and 2 6.5CMs. The range I have regular access to is only out to 600 yards. At this distance there is not a huge difference between them, except of course with higher winds. As I can shoot 308s so inexpensively (178 AMax's are only $0.30 per bullet and I have tons of brass) I shoot the 308 here almost exclusively. Dialing wind at 600 is very easy to learn, but it will cost you rounds and barrel life. I think of this as tuition to the long range club. For the occasions I have the opportunity to shoot further the difference between them becomes greater. Hornady 120 A-Max's are widely available, but the 140 A-Max bucks the wind much better. For me, when I am making the decision to trade off shooting flat or bucking the wind, I choose to buck the wind. As the ranges get further and further my confidence with the 308 falls off and the 6.5CM goes up, as does the cost of pulling the trigger.

As noted above, the 140s are not so plentiful but I have kept a healthy supply on hand from Copper Creek. Copper Creek has many different 6.5CM loads and I'm in the process of testing almost all of them. These are a good bit more expensive than the Hornady factory stuff, but they are available and you have a lot of choices. And they will help you out with load development. Even when Hornady catches up with demand (a day I am itching for for) I doubt you will see 6.5 at 308 prices. I just wish CC would offer some hunting loads. In the mean time the brass supply is building up.

So... I think you might be well off getting a 5R in 308 and shooting the daylights out of it. Spend a lot of money on the glass, rings and base. As you transform the gun with a new barrel, stock, etc., (AI stocks are very popular here but I am a Manners guy) the optics can/will stay with you. I am a huge fan of immediately switching to good bottom metal. Amongst other reasons I find it a safety issue if you need to unload before going dry, and it can be done without needing to look at the rifle and worrying about rounds falling to the ground.