• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with dieting

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I need some help with some dieting and exercising I work on the road 5 days a week and I normally work daylight to dark. Of course I don't eat real health bc I live in a crappy hotel 4 nights a week. Can some one please give me some pointers on diet and some exercises some time I do stay in hotels that have small guys but not all the time

Your in a tough situation because ive found to effectivly diet you need to prepare all of your own food. Most I know on the road are getting kitchen suites but its hard not to eat out when on the road. First of all start by getting some protein bars and some protein drink mixes at sams club or vitamin cottage. Mix up some protein drink and have it available in a containers every day. The key is to not get hungry and get that bag of chips or stop at the fast food place for a 3000 calorie bomb. If you get hungry eat your bar or drink your protein mix , it will end your hunger without blowing your diet out of the water. You must prepare all your meals that you eat in the field the night before. Tupperware type containers are your friend.

What you are looking for is a long term sustainable diet that is healthy and provides good energy levels. Lean meat, fruit, green vegetables, grains and beans must all be eaten daily. The good part of being on the road is you wont insult your women when she puts a 4000 calorie bomb in front of you by not eating it all. Eventually she must get on board if she is preparing your food while at home. Her payoff is higher energy levels for chores and- other things.

If you start eating healthy and exercise fitness will come. Breakfast is the most important part of the day it must have protein and complex carbohydrates. Sugar and alcohol both have to go. These are the easiest things to cut out of your diet. No donuts pies , or candy period. No refined sugar PERIOD. Thats what the bars are for.. Alcohols empty calories are the worst. Your not 21 when you could drink that sixer without it going straight to your belly. No alcohol PERIOD. No fried food PERIOD. Potatos extremly limited. No food after dinner. Once a week eat whatever you want - dont be a fool and throw away the rest of the weeks gains but eat what you want. Always listen to your body make it your friend not your advesary. Experiment, start your journey. You are looking for progress not perfection , enjoy the process,the experiment. In the end you will regard the feedback your body gives you the things we call hunger and energy totally differently.

As far as exercise my experience is limited. Martial arts classes are great but I cant the hard styles any more. I cant ground fight any more. Judo is not too bad for old folk like me if you can still take a fall. Walk everyday a hour( If your not in Camden or Gary). Always take the stairs. Many motels have a workout room nowadays- get on that exircycle or stairmaster.

Last edited:
You are a great candidate for intermittent fasting type diet. I have several clients doing this and its working great and as long as you arn't trying to pack on a lot of muscle it is great.

I might have left a piece out I do a manual labor job I don't know if I could fast

The most important thing for me when dropping weight is to get used to being hungry. Hunger is fat leaving the body.

You can beat hunger by eating foods high in fiber. that can round you out until the next meal. Eat many small meals if you can. It sucks to do that and takes a while to get used to eating only so much. I still have trouble with that. I eat so fast that I usually overeat. Thanks Marine Corps...

I prepare all my meals on sunday. usually throw a few pounds of chicken in the slow cooker and steem up a big pot of rice. then I seperate them into small tupware containers and store in fridge. I travel a lot for my job during the day so i take a few containers on the road with me. not ideal but definately effective.

Sounds kinda like my job.

See if you can get into an extended stay hotel with a mini-kitchen. This will let you do some of your own meal prep. I bring an insulated lunch box type cooler on my trips and hit the grocery for microwave lunches. Not the best, but WAY WAY better than the on-site cafeterias meals. I also bring my own snacks for the mid-day hungry. Again way better than what the vending machines will offer, and a crap-load cheaper too.

Just because you are eating out doesn't FORCE you into bad food choices. You can goto McD's and get a gut-bomb, and fries, or subway for a 6" non-mayo sub, and skip the chips.

Get the nutrition information for the resturant you are eating at, and make better choices. Without the information, its harder to know what you are choosing.

When you get to the offiice/work place take the stairs, and skip the elevator... well not if you're working on the 30th floor, but you get the idea.

Park a little farther out in the parking lot, and get an extra 1/4 mile of walking.

No one of these things will make a big change, but taken together you can set yourself up for a better result.

The most important thing for me when dropping weight is to get used to being hungry. Hunger is fat leaving the body.

Yeah?

I lost 150lbs. stuffing my face, at least 3500 calories per day. I continue to do it to this day (5 years later).

Low carb lifestyle change (not a fucking diet...I hate that word)...you can eat as much fat (quality fat) and protein as you so desire and the lbs. will just fall off. And no, you're cholesterol will not go through the roof. In fact, mine has declined to a number where my doctor told me it was "so low" that he would have me admitted to the local hospital if he did not know I was in such good physical shape.

That being said, you need chug water like nobody's business, I pound at least 6 liters each day. Also, need to get that fiber intake up...eating all those ribs, chicken wings and ribeye's can hurt the cable cutter's production success.

The first month is harder than hell to get by, trust me, I used spend 30.00 at our local donut/pastry hole. When you lose 40lbs by only cutting out carbs, it does provide quite a bit of positive reinforcement. Our bodies are addicted to carbs, so you go through a "withdrawal" phase. It mainly effects your mind and cognitive function (memory and ability to critically think go by the way side), but they come back after about 4-5 weeks.

Good luck.

Agree with FALex. Tried that diet out and works great.
Yep and be warned... first month is hell!