• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need help with hunting backpack (Mystery Ranch vs Kuiu)

Wyzrd

Harder than a coffin nail
Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Alright, so I’m looking to upgrade from my Eberlestock pack that I’ve used for the last 4 yrs. Yes, it worked but sucked for packing out game! So, I’m looking for any experience or pros/cons from people that may have one or the other. I’m currently looking at getting either the Mystery Ranch Pintler or Sawtooth 45, or the Kuiu Pro 2300 full kit (bag, frame, suspension, etc).

They’re all similarly priced and they all have the ability to stuff a quarter or 2 in between the bag and the frame- which is a huge plus for me. They’ll mainly be used on day hunts (maybe some overnighters 1-2 days) for elk and mule deer in the mountains of WY. Comfort, durability, and the ability to carry at least 100-120 lbs at a time of meat and other gear are all essential. So, please let me know your thoughts?

check out the mystery ranch cabinet i bought one a few years ago. i used it for a day pack, it can haul your gun and pack out meat, its very comfy and carries alot of extras. i love mine having one pack to do it all as over night or three day is a hard one to find. kuiu also makes a good pack never owned one but i know guys that are happy with them.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    check out the mystery ranch cabinet i bought one a few years ago. i used it for a day pack, it can haul your gun and pack out meat, its very comfy and carries alot of extras. i love mine having one pack to do it all as over night or three day is a hard one to find. kuiu also makes a good pack never owned one but i know guys that are happy with them.

Thanks! Yeah, I was contemplating that one as well. Now, on the Cabinet, is it 2 separate packs and then you pack the meat in between them? Or is just the main pack on the outside, and 2 tube style packs underneath it? I can’t really tell by the pics on their website...?

Have you done strictly day hunts with the Cabinet, or have you been able to pack enough gear in it for one overnight hunt?

Any pack you choose has to fit your body. Only you will know which feels the most comfortable. I had a ill fitting pack on a Elk hunt in western Montana. I suffered every day. I got the straps moved by a shoemaker when I got back, for the next trip.

Good luck

Jerry

Reactions: 45.308
    there is a open space with adjustable straps between the pack compartments and the back of the pack it expands this will hold your rifle or meat. try black orvis thats where i bought mine they had the best prices i could find and they did have some pictures as well if i remember right. you might be able to do a over night with depends how much you would carry i would say no if you want to bring out meat on the same trip. its perfect for day hunts.

Any pack you choose has to fit your body. Only you will know which feels the most comfortable. I had a ill fitting pack on a Elk hunt in western Montana. I suffered every day. I got the straps moved by a shoemaker when I got back, for the next trip.

Good luck

Jerry

I totally agree. Whichever one I order, I’ll get my measurements beforehand and get the appropriate size based off their sizing charts on their websites. Yeah, hauling 100+ lbs of game meat and other gear in an ill-fitting backpack is no bueno!

I just picked up an kuiu Ultra 4000 for mammoth. Yet to break it in yet but looking over it and gettin it fitted , I’m impressed. Very adjustable and expandable. My old pack was a low drag and this new one definitely rides better with with its CF frame. It’s stiff but still has some give and flex to move with ya. Comes with extra straps for external tie downs as well. Expands between bag and frame for gun/meat too. I was lucky and got em on sale a while back. Sub 4lbs setup too.

look on ebay for packs if you know what size, their a alot that guys buy one, go on one hunt and sell them as they decide back back hunts are not for them.

I have the kuiu ultra suspension and 4000 bag and it is a serious upgrade from the old north face pack I used the years prior. It’s the most comfortable pack I’ve used by far. Hunted this year with a buddy that had a mystery ranch and it looked like a great pack as well so seems like both would be good options

I have the kuiu ultra suspension and 4000 bag and it is a serious upgrade from the old north face pack I used the years prior. It’s the most comfortable pack I’ve used by far. Hunted this year with a buddy that had a mystery ranch and it looked like a great pack as well so seems like both would be good options

Yeah, they do both seem like they’d be great packs, and a definite upgrade from my Eberlestock. As of right now I’m leaning towards the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45, but the Kuiu is a little bit lighter weight (~1 lb I think) and that’s always a big plus in my book!

Have you had any durability issues with your Kuiu? Anything that would require repairs/warranty work?

Yeah, they do both seem like they’d be great packs, and a definite upgrade from my Eberlestock. As of right now I’m leaning towards the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45, but the Kuiu is a little bit lighter weight (~1 lb I think) and that’s always a big plus in my book!

Have you had any durability issues with your Kuiu? Anything that would require repairs/warranty work?

No problems with the pack at all. The buckles are solid and everything else has been holding up great so far.

Of those. the MR Sawtooth. But buying a pack off anyone's recommendation can lead to less performance ill fitting pack. It sounds easy but a pack should be purchased in person from someone who knows how to fit a pack to your body, then fine tune it, the least adjustment required. Not purchase a pack then try to get it to fit or just think it fits . The problem is, end users don't even know how a pack should fit or what to look for.

More off the rack options.

I've got the Pro 3200 on the Ultra frame. I would recommend the Pro frame as it's a little beefier for hauling quarters. I used an ultra 1850 as my everyday hunting pack for years, but needed a little more room during the winter. When the Pro 3200 was in the outlet I grabbed it. I've been very impressed with it so far and think the size is perfect for my needs. Day to day use hunting in Texas is great. However, if knew I was going to be carrying out game/elk quarters, I would take my Kifaru EMR2 instead. The Kifaru suspension is hands down the best I've encountered. I've hauled 80-100lb loads on several occasions training with it, and it "sucked the least" of any pack I've tried that with.
    Kifaru customer service is great as well, and you can call/send pictures to make sure it's set up as close to perfect before they even ship it. If you'll realistically be hauling meat, I'd start with a Kifaru frame and then figure out which bag they make best suits your needs.
    Good luck.

I appreciate all the posts and info guys! I went to a sporting goods store in CO the other day and tried on some different MR packs. I just ordered the MR Sawtooth 45 and should have it some time this week. I can’t wait to get it broken in and do some practice hikes with it up in the mtns of WY. I’m gonna try throwing a 50 lb bag of sand in the load shelf along with some other gear that I usually bring on my day hunts.

Anyways, thanks again for your help, and hopefully I’ll be using this new pack to haul some meat out this season!??

Last edited:
    Check out Kifaru.

You’re pretty close. I have a funny fit issue so had them measure me, build frame and bag, then fit it to me.

Best fitting and wearing pack ever.
    And I owned a Dana Terra-plane and Artic LTW from Bozeman.
    They were darn good.
    This is better.

You can try them side by side at RMS Gear in Wheatridge.
    Plus they have some decent blades and lots of great traditional archery stuff.

Check out the EXO packs, in your price range they are worth consideration.

R

I was checking them out as well and have heard nothing but great things about their packs. If I ever get into back country hunting where I’ll be out for 3-7 days, I’d definitely be looking at getting one of their bigger packs. For now though because I mostly do day hunts, I should be GTG with the Sawtooth 45.

Reactions: kabarNC
    I have looked into MR and Kifaru as well. Lot if info on this topic on Rokslide forum. The one thing that drew me towards kifaru was that they have so many more bag only options. So once you have your frame you can change out the packs to fit your hunt/outdoor activity. I know MR was starting to have more bag only options for purchase but not sure if they will expand it to all there bags.

I was checking them out as well and have heard nothing but great things about their packs. If I ever get into back country hunting where I’ll be out for 3-7 days, I’d definitely be looking at getting one of their bigger packs. For now though because I mostly do day hunts, I should be GTG with the Sawtooth 45.
    EXO makes small packs.

R

EXO makes small packs.

R

Yup, I saw that. This time around my budget was pretty fixed for this pack around $450, and the Exo’s were a little over my budget. However, once I’m ready for a bigger pack (since I have my daypack covered now) they will be one of the first companies I’ll be looking at. ?

Yup, I saw that. This time around my budget was pretty fixed for this pack around $450, and the Exo’s were a little over my budget. However, once I’m ready for a bigger pack (since I have my daypack covered now) they will be one of the first companies I’ll be looking at. ?

I use a Mystery Ranch Metcalf in CO. This is my first season with it but have done a few 12+ mile per day hikes with it and found it very comfortable.

0DCED9C2-837B-4AF7-93A2-ED43E0EA23AC.jpeg

So I went with the Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45, and so far I am very pleased with my purchase! It is super comfortable and has plenty of space for all the gear that I bring on my hunts... in addition to having the load shelf for quarters/game meat. Definitely an upgrade from my Eberlestock pack. Now, my Eberlestock is still a good pack, but it just wasn’t designed to pack out a bunch of game meat. Can’t wait to go in light and come out heavy with this pack!
    8654F7E5-2810-411E-9C69-EEA5C97C4807.jpeg
    B31EDEAC-ADF0-4EF0-B992-1EDAA321F046.jpeg
    7B3704FD-0D84-49FB-ABCF-EB48880EB7E8.jpeg