• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with Japanese 99 Sniper rifle

D46Infinity

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Las Vegas NV
I happened to acquire a Jap 99 sniper rifle from the passing of a family member. The family saved it for me as they said I collect old guns.

I just got to looking it over and it's in decent shape. It has side mount and spring clip (if that's what it's called) intact. No scope or mount.

Im not a collector of Japanese rifles at all. I have a few mausers that I've collected but don't know anything about jap rifles.

Im looking for help as to it's originality and a value.

I will post up pics as soon as I'm home tomorrow.

Thanks!

Im sure you will find k knowledgeable people here but for further info do a Google search of Culvers Shooting Page forum (Japanese section) and inquire about your rifle amongst those collectors for further help.

I think it was "Rifleman Went to war" written by a match shooter fighting on Guadalcanal he wrote about Jap snipers and IIRC he thought they were a good combat sniper.

I have the book and Ill try to find the section in his book.

Last edited:
D46infinity,

Glad to hear your family thought of you in this regard. Many a good firearm was lost to posterity because no one cared. Obviously, pics will help, but it sounds like you have a good basis to start with.

A quick rundown of what you have, if you didn't already know, is the 7.7X58mm rifle that was supposed to replace the type 38 6.5X50mm. The case is 1mm longer than the Mauser cases and uses a .312" diameter bullet. Same size as a .303 British. Slightly more powerful than the 7.65 Argentino. Which, coincidentally, uses the same diameter bullet.

The concept of the 7.7 was adopted before the war. But, conversion is a hard thing to pull off once the fighting starts. Therefore, these didn't get issued until late in the war. The conversion to them was not wholly completed. Up until the last ditch ones, these were a pretty good rifle. A serial number and mum condition will tell you where your rifle is for shooting. I say mum as some we're ground off with more vengeance than others.

​​​​​​

-Hope that helps some

Im sure you will find k knowledgeable people here but for further info do a Google search of Culvers Shooting Page forum (Japanese section) and inquire about your rifle amongst those collectors for further help.

I think it was "Rifleman Went to war" written by a match shooter fighting on Guadalcanal he wrote about Jap snipers and IIRC he thought they were a good combat sniper.

I have the book and Ill try to find the section in his book.

A "Rifleman Goes to War" is about McBride in WWI

The book you are referring to is "Shots Fired in Anger" by John B. George, regarding his experiences as a target shooter fighting on Guadalcanal.

A "Rifleman Goes to War" is about McBride in WWI

The book you are referring to is "Shots Fired in Anger" by John B. George, regarding his experiences as a target shooter fighting on Guadalcanal.

You sir are correct. Thank you for the correction.

"Shots Fired in Anger" is a great book. I thought I recalled a section where George comes across a new in box Jap sniper that he investigated on its technical merits.

Havent read McBride yet but I know its highly recommended, just wont help the OP with his 99 though.

On guys. I have checked out a few of them web resources you guys posted. Here are a few pics also.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• photo54336.jpg
    photo54336.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 32
  • photo54337.jpg
    photo54337.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 29
  • photo54338.jpg
    photo54338.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 29