• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with Mark 6 rings height for a MARS rail

JudasMac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2012
Beaverton, Oregon
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the right height that I need for my optic. I have a remington 700 built by American Precision Arms with a MARS rail. Until now I have run either a Nightforce with a 56mm obj or a Leupold with a 50mm obj. all have had a 30mm main tube. I just picked up a Mark 6 3-18X44, and now need 34mm rings and haven't a clue what ring height to use. I would normally go with the lowest I could find but the MARS rail drops the clearance down quite a bit. I could measure it out but figured I'd just see if anyone else had built this set up before and see what worked and what didn't. I prefer using Badger Ordnance Max 50 rings or APA's rings but any and all suggestions would be appreciated. As long as they're american made. Thanks for the help.

I've used Leupold lows with a 3.5-10x40 on a MARS rail, no issues. I'd probably go mediums to be safe, man

I have the MARS and a Steiner 5-25x56. I use the Badger 34mm 1 inch height rings and the clearance on the rail is VERY minimal, but it just clears. If you are going to use an objective cover you will need something higher.

I called Leupold and they told me that the only 34mm rings they have come in "high" and "ultra high". I would like to use Badger or APA but I live accross the street from Leupold so that seemed easiest. I think that high or ultra high rings would make that scope have way too much room under the objective bell.

JudasMac, Leopold 34mm high are 1 inch and the super high are 1.4. I don't think you would have a problem using the 1 inch rings, the 34mm tube allows the use of quite low rings, if someone else could confirm but you could probably use Seekins 34mm lows at .92.

Last edited:
mjh30, I appreciate the help. I have looked into Seekins a bit but I've never used their product. I was wondering if you knew where Leupold takes their measurement from? Is it the top of the rail to the center of the main tube like Badger does or is it the top of the rail to the bottom of the tube like Burris or other manufacturers do? I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it that knows anything yet. Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I called Leupold and they told me that the only 34mm rings they have come in "high" and "ultra high". I would like to use Badger or APA but I live accross the street from Leupold so that seemed easiest. I think that high or ultra high rings would make that scope have way too much room under the objective bell.

Alot of times I've been told what height rings I need they incorporate the height needed for a scope cover to clear as well.

Like I said, I have the 1 inch 34mm rings in my Steiner and it JUST clears (you can fit 5 or 6 3x5 cards underneath) so if the scope cover not fitting isn't an issue, I don't see what the Leupold 1 inchers wouldn't work.

JudasMac,

After doing some research, I found that the Leupold MK 6 3-18x44mm Spec's list an outside objective Diameter of 2.10" Link: Leupold Optics Mark 6 3-18x44mm (34mm) - | Leupold Optics The information is under Spec's.

Taking half of that diameter 1.05" means that you will need scope rings at least 1.10" high. Leupold's rings are measured from base to scope centerline and Leupold's MK4 34mm High rings are spec'ed at 1.10" Link: Tactical Mounting Systems | Leupold Optics

You could also use Badger Ordnance's 34mm Medium rings 1.125" High Product # 306-61 or Nightforce's 34mm High Rings also 1.125" high product # A210 or A224 for a little more clearance without going to 1.275" 34mm rings like Badgers High Rings # 306-27

Last edited:
BobinNC,
I really appreciate you doing that research, it's great to have people truly willing to help. I should have piped up and responded sooner but I got lazy. Got off the phone with Badger last week and did some measurements, Glen worked it out with me and actually got me set up. I order the standard height (1") Max 50's and they work just fine with the MARS rail. Then after all the BS, I pulled the MARS rail off and put it on EBAY and have gone back to a standard 20 MOA base to lower my cheek weld. As soon as I get a Mcmillan A5 ordered (just sold the AICS 2.0) I'll order the Badger EFR and the night vision should be lined back up perfectly again. Again, gentlemen, I really appreciate all the help and advise. You guys are a great and much appreciated resource.