• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with my CED M2 Chrono

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
I took out my CED M2 for the first time yesterday, and I could only get it to pick up 8 shots out of 100. I kept getting E0 error (missing start sensor or something)

I made sure I was shooting over both sensors, and the chrono was 10' away from muzzle. At first I thought Im aiming too high over the sensors, so I went lower and lower till I shot through the front sensor. The sensor is ok, I just hit the very top of the plastic, so it wont need replacing, but what gives? my cheap ass shooting chrony never missed a read!

Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Need help with my CED M2 Chrono

you should have tried to swap sensors. move the front to the back and the back to the front and see if the problem moved, that would tell you if the sensor is junk. other than that im not sure.

CJG

Thats one thing I did not try. But it did pick up certain shots, just not all of them.

What were your lighting conditions? I had mine out the other day when it was overcast. Kept getting a lot of errors. I took the screens off and then it worked fine.

I have had occasions when mine did the same thing and all it was was the sensor was not plugged all the way in to the port on the back of the controller.

I would go minimum of 12 feet away. If you are shooting a magnum, I would go further than that. At 10', you may still be getting muzzle flash in the sensor, and it will cause errors. It's better to be too far, than too close. Try to let the bullet pass about 4"-6" above the sensor. If it was poor light conditions, it may not pick up the bullet. The IR screens will solve this issue. I have shot in total darkness (with a lit target) and picked up every shot.

Yah I didnt try to take off the screens. Ill head to the range again with it once the rains here clear up and give it another try.

Thanks guys.

Make sure the first screen the bullet passes through is plugged into the "start" jack and the second screen into the "finish" jack. I used my chrono with my 338 Lapua and it picked up every round. The range master asked it he could check the speed of his 22-250, the first 2 rounds, nothing, he aimed lower so the bullet passed within 6" from the bottom and it then picked up every round.
myerfire

I made sure both plugs were in all the way, and I had them plugged in the right order, so it was either the clouds, or something doesnt work right. Ill give it another try once the weather clears up, then its back to CED.

We set ours up at 100 yds a couple of week ends back and had to pull the screens because of the clouds and everything worked fine. Also we had to move it out a little more with the Ultra Mag and 300 WSM. We've noticed early in the mornings it will show errors but still pick up when one of us are shooting on the sun side of it.

Those IR screens are starting to sound real good right about now.

As already mentioned set your screens out as far as you possibly can. There is a very good chance that it is probably lighting issues. My CED M2 was a major PITA with lighting conditions. I tried everything from A to frickin Z with the standard sensors.
It was giving me reliable information about 25% of the time.

Bought the IR package and now my velocity spreads are so tight, S.D.'s are so low, and the readings so consistent from range trip to range trip that it is totally unfrickinbelievable.

I had problems last time I used mine. Normally we are set up in a tree less
pasture but this time we had some big oak trees around us. As the sun rose and pasted over, the tree limbs would block the sun, sometimes one screen would be in the shade and the other one in full sun. This really played havoc with readings. Once we realized what was happening and moved the tripod completely out from the trees it worked fine.

Holy thread resurrection batman!

I've received my CED M2 chrony a few ago - took it out last weekend at my mate's property- I had two days to get it working with no joy - the same E0 (end sensor) error.

I don't have the infra red sensors so maybe I will have to just get some considering the comments here. A little annoying though!!

I have the same Chrono.

What I do is remove the plastic screens and run it without.

I also affix small red dots to the leading edge of the risers in the front. This way, I can always shoot towards the sweet spot for my sensors.

In the real world.... IF sensors.

Jerry

I tested my first gen CED in the house with rubber bands. I will pick them up. So if it picks them up it's working correctly most likely. And the problem is out at the range. Just a thought.

Should have gotten a shooter chrony hahahahha

Tag

I've left this thing in the box for a few months and tried it again recently. Still can't get it working and I don't think spending more money on the damn thing is a good idea.

Back to CED I think.. Piece of JUNK!

I've been using my CED for several years now and have found that it has a hard time with bright light almost directly overhead. If sunlight is shining down into the slot cutout then I start getting Errors. I've never had it fail other then that.

Eric

I've been having the same issues with my CED M2.

I have even gone as far as buying IR screens...no dice!

I sincerely hope that they will accept this piece of shit back.

Wow mine has been perfect, 110 out and bright no cloud in the sky to 35 and cloudy, mine just works

Good info guys.
I have been considering updating my old Beta Master Shooting Chrony to the CED M2, but after reading all of this maybe I better just keeping using ole reliable.
I did have some speed errors that I couldn't understand but it turned out to be an old battery, it was about 7 years old.
I'm always looking to upgade my gear as money allows.
SScott

Errors are usually indicative of two things:

1) Too close to muzzle blast
2) In need of a fresh battery

Every time I have had either of these issues, it's one or the other. I also was having these issues when the chrono was placed at 10'. I now put it out at 12' (measured as 4 big steps from muzzle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Errors are usually indicative of two things:

1) Too close to muzzle blast
2) In need of a fresh battery
</div></div>

Add a #3)junk

My dumb ass has been down the road more times than I want to admit with mickey mouse chrono's, no more an Oehler now. If I added up all the junk chrono's I have owned over the last 15 years I could own two 35P's.

My CED is real finicky too. Light has to be *just* right, not too bright and not too dark. I hate it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been having the same issues with my CED M2.

I have even gone as far as buying IR screens...no dice!

I sincerely hope that they will accept this piece of shit back. </div></div>

As per the advice of CED, I too now have now bought the F***ing infra red bloody screens with absolutely zero improvement from the initial E0 error.
mad.gif

So what's next? Send it off to hong kong I.e SPEND MORE money. So they can 'test' the unit.. make sure it's not just me and my dozens of hours pouring over instruction manuals, back and fourth contact with the source company and in addition to somebody else having a go from scratch lest ive made a mistake.

Talk about wake up and smell the coffee.. I mean, most worst product ever. Bloody made in china crap.

try shooting a 22lr over it first, if it registers, then you are getting muzzle blast interference when you switch to the big gun and get an E0 message.

I've been considering one of these, but not sure if it is the best chrono for the money. Would like some input.

I bought one, and after reading about lighting being an issue, I bought the infrared screens as well. I got a few errors early on. I attribute it to muzzle blast. I now take my readings at 15ft from the muzzle and rarely get an error. If I do, its typically because I'm not shooting over the center of the inverted triangle. If you don't pay attention to that, you can cause an error. The sensor is directly beneath the center of the sky screen so shooting off to either side can induce an error.

Shoot over the center with infrared screens and you will be fine. Mine runs very well and the battery life is quite good for the screens and control unit.

Rich