• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with new 10x scope plz

savageman

Private
Minuteman
May 31, 2010
I have a new 308 build i am about done with. I think i have my scope choice down to 2.

The new Sightron S3 10x42 MIL/MOA tactical or the SWFA SS 10HD MIL/MIL.

I have a Sightron S3 8-32 for br that I love. The glass is as good as any NF I have looked through and the adjustments have been completly perfect out to a 1000 yards.

I also have a SWFA SS 10x42 non hd. It has also be great but the glass leaves alot to be desired ( especially next to my S3).

I have always shot with MIL/MOA and have become used to it but the thought of MIL/MIL sounds awsome.

Has anyone used both the new sightron and the SS HD? Because if the glass on the S3 is as good as the 8-32 I have to assume that the SS is not as good. Also is the SS a standered MIL dot? I like the look of the s3 modified mil dot.

Thanks if you read all that and any info would be much appreciated. I have already learned alot from this forum and just decided to sign up. Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help with new 10x scope plz

Its a no brainer to me, go with the SIII 10x42 MMD. Offers plenty of adjustment, has a modified mil dot, and the glass is on par with anything you will find under $1k. Of course, I am a little biased, as I currently own three other SIII scopes (2x 3.5-10s and a 6-24x).

Granted, I have not had a chance to try one of the new SS 10x42 HDs. However, given the glass found on the SIII series, I cannot imagine it will be any better. The glass may be on par with the Sightron, but I have a hard time believing its $250 better. Now, I do realize the SS offers mil adjustments, but the reticle is still your basic mil dot (whereas the SIII is a modified).

Personally, I'd go with the Sightron simply for the MMD reticle and cheaper price. I can tell you firsthand that Sightron's customer service is second to none, so for me its an easy decision.

Thanks for the reply Jason. After my S3 8-32 exceeding all my expectations iam leaning that way. I have heard both companies have great customer service.

Was also at one point considering that 6-24 that you have but I like to use mils for hold over sometimes and being that the scope isn't ffp I thought I would just stick to a straight 10.

Got my 10x42 Sightron s3 in earlier this week. Got it mounted and started to compare it to SWFA's super sniper scope.

SWFA Super Sniper 10x42 (Was bought around Christmas time 2009)
VS
Sightron S3 10x42

For those that don't know both of these scopes have almost identical features. They both have an insane amount of MOA adjustment(around 150!!!) also they both have their parralax adjustment in the rear (where the zoom adjustment ring is on most scopes). The parralax being in the back is what I love being that iam a lefty. (No money fing a football look at the range.)

First thing I Compared with the two was the feel of the turret clicks. Super Sniper won this one easily in my mind. The clicks have alot more resistance than the S3. The S3's are just to easy to move. The size of the turrets are both fine. The Super Snipers are bigger but almost to big. Both are very east to grap. They both are resettable to zero. They both reset with the removal of 3 allen wrench screws. With takes to long compared to some other scopes.

Next thing i did was compare the glass. I was completely surprised with just how much better the S3s glass was. It was much brighter has better contrast and is just on a whole different level.

Looked at a street light at 10:00pm last night. The ligt is 78yards away. With the S3 you could see the cross hair perfectly while looking at the light!! With the super sniper you could have taken a shot but not with anywhere near the confidence.

Both are very easy to get behind. But I found that the Super Sniper was just a little bit easier. Both are very easy to get a full sight picture.

Reticle:
The S3 is outfitted with a modified mil-dot with I really like. The cross hairs are just a tad bit thinner than the Super Sniper too.(Not by much, not a big deal)

Next was comparing the parralax. The S3 wins this one by default. With the super sniper anything farther then 250 you just have to put it on the max. The s3 was woring out to my max as it should. (only can look 500yards from my home.)

Next thing I compared was the most important part of a scope. The tracking... Could only trust the vertical tracking. My method consisted of a large 4ft ruler (a yard stick that is 48in insteat of 36), a gun vise and some bright tape. Put the yard stick a 100yards from the vise and put a sicker at 37.7in.

Tried the S3 first. With the insane glass i could see the numbers on the stick. So I would just wildly turn the dial to see if i could get it to mess up. It tracked in moa perfectly. All the way up to 37.7in with is 36MOA.

Next the Super Sniper. Could not make out the number but when I put in 36MOA the cross hairs were right on my sticker at 37.7in. Have used this scope for awhile and it tracks great. I have done this test with this scope twice now and it has never failed it.

So tracking is great on both scopes.

The finish on both scopes is fine. I like the look of the s3 just a bit more but that is all in the eye of the beholder.

So the big question....

With the S3 costing 250 dollars more, which would I spend my hard earned cash on if I could do it agian.
I guess the answer is it would depend on how much the gun build iam working on is. They both are formidable scopes with the S3's glass being on a completly different level.

Thanks for the info on the SIII scopes. I will be buying the 16x42 MMD from Liberty Optics after I get my truck fixed.
I also wish it was a mil/mil scope, but you can't have everything.

Steve

I have used a lot of 10x scopes and I really like the USO ST10s. I have been using one form the time they came out is it is still going strong!

US_Optics_CSGW_S_4ac0553a244af.jpg

We have them in stock… Here is a link to . USO ST10s @ CS Tactical.com

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com

Just wanted to add a quick update. Was comparing the SS 10x42 to the S3 10x42 alot today. Went back and forth with them at various ranges.

While looking at foilage the S3 is much better. Gives you more of a 3d look. Would be much easier to spot something in the woods than with the SS. Also the colors look MUCH more vivid with the S3. But the biggest difference is looking at shadows at long range. That is where the s3 really shows its worth.

Looked at a street sign at about 500 yards. I could easily read the sign with both. The main difference was how easily mirage could be seen. (I live in Florida was about 92 out when I did this). With the S3 i could read mirage much better.

The one thing that the Super Sniper surprisingly kills the S3 in is FOV. At 100 yards it seems to be about 3-5 ft better. I think it might be due to the eye ocular being bigger than on the S3 which would also explain why it is easier to get behind the Super Sniper.

Oh and both scopes allowed great groups.