• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with quick Detach Scope mounts for ARs

Larrys1911

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2011
Hello All,

I'm new here so you guys be gentle with me OK.

There are several different QD scope mounts out there for the Picatinny rail platform and frankly IM LOST on what I need. Between the ones I know of BoBro, Larue, A.R.M.S., GG&G, I think I'm missing one... Prices on all those are close enough not to matter. Which one/s are the most accurate in repeatable RTZ (Return to Zero)

I have 4 AR/M4 platform Rifles that this will at some point go on just to put some groups on paper and see what I am capable of . But right now Its going to see deer duty on either a 6.8 SPC or 450 Bushmaster.

The scope that I'm going to use is a Leupold VXIII 1.75x6-32 because its the only thing in the safe not being used at the moment. Three of these guns have backup Iron sights too.
I've never used a QD mount so this is all new to me but I want an option besides a dot scope that they all wear and are generally used with.

So what I want is two questions answered....
1 which one/s are best for returning to zero
2 Am I correct in assuming that I need a cantilever mount to clear the BUIS?

THanks for the help

Larry

Re: Need help with quick Detach Scope mounts for ARs

First fill out your profile.

1)Larue makes good shit.
2)No your not. You need to have the BUIS in-behind the scope, or under it. You will have to measure to see that whatever mount you get will clear it.

Start Reading <span style="color: #FF0000"> Here </span>

ADM should be on your list as well.

I would never buy a mount to accommodate a rear BUIS. Back up is secondary to primary so configure accordingly.

Get a low profile rear sight and a Bobro mount.

I've used Bobro, ADM, and LaRue. All return to zero quite well, with a slight edge to the Bobro in my experience.

The cantilever mount helps to position the scope at the right height and eye relief without any part of the mount contacting anything except the upper receiver, as it's not recommended for the base (or a front ring) to be mounted to a railed handguard.

I use the Bobro QD and think its a fine piece of engineering. It's return to zero is amazing in my experience.

I will also give a nod to Warne Maxima QD rings. They are the only ones I have experience with so far. Warne guarantees .25 MOA or better. Mine work at least that well.

I love my Larue mount. SPR 1.5 to be exact. It retains zero and accomodates a Troy BUIS under the scope eyepiece.

Ive had a few Larue 1.5s and they've worked flawlessly.

I have had the LaRue 1.5 and have 3 Bobros now. I think the Bobro is the better mount personally.

I'm running the GG&G FLT on my AR. Works just fine and seems to live up to the claim of returning to within 1/2 MOA.

To determine whether or not it will fit with your BUIS you need to determine a couple of things.

1. The center of the rings height to the top of your rail.

2. The diameter of your scopes eye piece.

3. The height of your rear folding back up sight when in the
the folded down position.

The GG&G FLT is 1.460 inches - centerline of rings to top of dovetail mounting platform. Let's say your scope eye piece is 1.5 inches....? Divide this by 1/2 gives you .75 inches or 3/4 inch. In this example you have .71 inches left (1.460" - .75" = .71"). If your folded rear sight is under .71 inches in height, this setup will work.

You will have to determine all this with the scope, buis, and mount you go with. Good luck.

I'm running the GG&G FLT on my AR. Works just fine and seems to live up to the claim of returning to within 1/2 MOA.

To determine whether or not it will fit with your BUIS you need to determine a couple of things.

1. The center of the rings height to the top of your rail.

2. The diameter of your scopes eye piece.

3. The height of your rear folding back up sight when in the
the folded down position.

The GG&G FLT is 1.460 inches - centerline of rings to top of dovetail mounting platform. Let's say your scope eye piece is 1.5 inches....? Divide this by 1/2 gives you .75 inches or 3/4 inch. In this example you have .71 inches left (1.460" - .75" = .71"). If your folded rear sight is under .71 inches in height, this setup will work.

You will have to determine all this with the scope, buis, and mount you go with. Good luck.

I'll also say that the GG&G does not mar up or gouge the sides of your rails. I haven't seen it in person, but have heard and read that the Larue's can do this - thus the reason for going GG&G.