• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help with Savage build

reddog

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2010
KY
I'm putting together a rifle using a Model 10/Criterion barreled action. I bought a Savage plastic stock with an aluminum bedding system off the forum and the guy said it would work with my setup. It don't! The slot for the recoil lug is not wide enough nor deep enough. Are there different recoil lugs for different action/stock combo's?

Re: Need help with Savage build

This is not an aftermarket recoil lug. I took the original barrel off, myself. This is my first foray into the world of Savage. I can't believe all the f<&$ing variations!

I believe you bought an AccuStock - if so, the lug used in that stock from Savage is much shorter and possibly narrower. I have opened up the lug region on several for standard and aftermarket lugs.

you might be able to get a factory lug for that style of stock and get it all to work. it was a decent system that they seem to have abandoned. there is a decent selection of better stocks here that you will want to upgrade to eventually. relax, it will come out ok

The only option I can see to make this work is to cut about 0.100" off the bottom lug. If I try to mill the lug recess deeper I'll cut through the aluminum bar into the plastic below. All I want to do is see if this thing will shoot. If it does I'll find a more suitable stock.

if thats the case and it were me id find a factory lug to mod unless thats what you have. in otherwords dont mod a decent aftermarket lug if thats what you have. got a camera? we all love pictures

Hey, Axeman...It's a factory lug. I'll cut her down tomorrow - maybe post a pic.

Needs to be shaped like a remington factory lug. PM me and I can tell you where to get one.

The one the left is standard, the right one is for the
accu-stock, the tab .435 H X 1.001 W.

345235j.jpg

Will a Remmy work - I have some of them.

Racesnake, I ran into the same problem when I put my first Savage together. You have a standard recoil lug but are trying to install it into the accustock. You can pick up the accustock recoil lug for a couple of dollars and they are readily available.

I hope the accustock lug is more uniform than the regular factory lug. More than .001" difference in thickness top to bottom of the barrel ring means trouble. Mike it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope the accustock lug is more uniform than the regular factory lug. More than .001" difference in thickness top to bottom of the barrel ring means trouble. Mike it. </div></div>

They are stampings.
The difference in thickness is due to the differences in wall thickness on top vs on the bottom.
The thiner margin up top will allow the material to crush a little as the lug is being stamped while the thicker margin on the bottom will stand up better.
The solution to fix this is to surface grind them after shearing.

Or, 45 min. and a sheet of 180 grit laid on a cast iron saw base worked for me. Mike every 5 minutes, press harder on the thick side. Got it to less than a thou. More time than money.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, 45 min. and a sheet of 180 grit laid on a cast iron saw base worked for me. Mike every 5 minutes, press harder on the thick side. Got it to less than a thou. More time than money..... </div></div>

It's 2-3 minutes on my surface grinder.
Yes, I'm spoiled...

Easy to open the stock up with 1/4 endmill . If you need a goofy Accu Lug let me know, there are a few laying on my bench I will never use.