• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with scope base on 700, I am on my second one.

tuner

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
Georgia
I am mounting a Vortex PST on a 700. I want to shoot long rang and bought a Blackhawk 20 moa base. The base would not allow me to zero the scope at 100 yards because the adjustment bottomed out and I had 65 moa of adjustment upward. The next move was a Warne 0 moa base went and zeroed it today and it changed zero dramatically. With zero at 100 I only have 25 moa upward adjustment left. So who's mount is right and who's is way off? I am in a hard spot continuing to lay down cash for stuff that isn't working. Thanks

I really can't answer your question, but if one of those was improperly machined, my money would be omit being the blackhawk. Warne makes quality stuff, blackhawk not so much.

Have you checked to make sure your scope has all 65MOA of travel? It's not uncommon for the holes to be slightly off on a 700 or to be off by up to 4-5 MOA for elevation as well. How good are your rings? On the lower end rings sometimes reversing or swapping them will give you different results. If you aren't planning to shoot more than 800 yards or so then the 25 you have will work if that's all you can get out of your setup.

The Blackhawk is a rebranded Weaver Tactical, which is a good, albeit inexpensive base. If the base is not bedded, the receiver variation can cause the front or rear to dip, which changes your elevation considerably, among other things. Bottom line, bed your base.

I have the base turned the right way, mounted both small end forward. I am getting all 65 moa of adjustment out of scope as well. I am leaning toward the Blackhawk scope base not fitting correctly and indeed could use bedding. After getting the Warne base and seeing the quality of it I may just order a 20 moa Nightforce or Badger base and hope this fixes the issue. If not I may have to shim a base it fit or bed one. The scope rings I am using are Burris Extremes. Thanks for all the help as I have less hair after this one. This is my first bolt rifle and is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Have you bed your base? My advice is to check to see if you need to bed before anything else. Without a proper foundation your scope can't do what it was designed to do for your application. Search here or on YouTube to see how to bed your base.

I have not bed the base. I ordered a Badger base and will check out the bedding info. If I am going to bed it I would rather bed a better base than the Blackhawk. Thanks

Update. Received the Badger base today and it is very easy to see the angle is off on the Blackhawk base so the new base should fix my problem. As soon as I can get to range I will verify and report for future reference.

Update. Received the Badger base today and it is very easy to see the angle is off on the Blackhawk base so the new base should fix my problem. As soon as I can get to range I will verify and report for future reference.
Take a pic of both of them showing the difference. If they are both 20 moa its odd that the angle would be different.

Something is wrong if you cant get to zero with the 20 moa base. My guess is that its backwards..... should be sloping toward the muzzle. if that doesnt work send your scope back because thats the problem.

Lupy makes a real nice one for the 700. 15moa the big mounting screws ( or small ). Beds nice...I have one on a 300RUM and am very happy.

Not sure if its clear enough as I am having a hard time getting black to show against black. Basically the front base is the badger the shinny base is the Blackhawk. On the left side or rear of base it is even on front and rear and as you go toward the right or barrel it is several hundredths longer on the Blackhawk.
A7F3E749-2B05-4F1C-B3BC-F05642E45AEC-3097-0000052BFD2E0040.jpg

And I am not mounting the base backwards both are extended bases and if you mount it backwards all four screws will not line up. You can see the spacing difference in pic.
B3FBC170-3D83-457C-88FA-E8549528CA04-3097-0000052F1914B377.jpg

Place the base's back to back on a table and take a picture. Do the same for the front. It should so the difference better.

With the difference in height between the front and rear of the receiver top, it's absolutely impossible to mount the base backwards, even if the holes were symmetrical.

Joe

Placing the bases in any other position will not show the difference. This is a crude drawing to try to show you the difference. The filled in area is the difference in the Blackhawk base where it touches the reciever.
3A499FA1-0EF7-4DA8-A3CF-82067D99808B-3894-000005D6875BD8A0.jpg