• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help with semi 308 shopping

DUBJT

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
This will be my first rifle in 308 and I just want to get as much insight as possible. I only own one AR 15 and it's a 16" Bushmaster XM15 free floated and Geissele trigger. With a 1-4x scope using 55g Winchester white box I can group moa or better at 100 or 200 yds. If I go with a 16" in 308 can I expect similar accuracy. I want to get into shooting 308 in the AR platform. I've got a $2000 budget for an all arounder. It might go hunting but mostly a range gun or a just in case weapon. It'll never be used for one of those weekend long run and gun 1000 round training classes. The longest range near me is 350 yds. So some suggestions on scope would be welcome. I'll likely reload some too. So far my shopping has run from DPMS, RRA, Armalite. I really liked the looks of the Elite operator I handled in one local shop. I'm aware of the proprietary nature of these guns. Just hoping you guys can point out something that may help.

If accuracy is your primary issue.....paper punching and contentment of small tight groups;
and if you like cool,new looks, clean running without hiccups, and 7.8 pounds empty......................Scar 17s
So wait , and save another 1000...no buyers remorse. If thats not you, don't never field, fondle or fire one; ever, cause there are few second bests.

Last edited:
1. Buy a used Gap-10. Research it on this site. Awesome weapon, accurate as a mofo, built like a tank, amazing company that stands behind it.
2. Research scopes on this site. About everybody on this planet including their mothers has asked the same question.

I have found that my 556 is more accurate than my 308 up to about 300yards.... Even my best group at 600 is with my 556 rra varmint which goes against all logic.. In the 3 total 100yard shootout threads the 556 ar usually kick the 308 ass in terms of accuracy up to about 300yards... If all youre doing is punching holes in paper up to 300yrds then id save the ammo money and get the 556

This will be my first rifle in 308 and I just want to get as much insight as possible. I only own one AR 15 and it's a 16" Bushmaster XM15 free floated and Geissele trigger. With a 1-4x scope using 55g Winchester white box I can group moa or better at 100 or 200 yds. If I go with a 16" in 308 can I expect similar accuracy. I want to get into shooting 308 in the AR platform. I've got a $2000 budget for an all arounder. It might go hunting but mostly a range gun or a just in case weapon. It'll never be used for one of those weekend long run and gun 1000 round training classes. The longest range near me is 350 yds. So some suggestions on scope would be welcome. I'll likely reload some too. So far my shopping has run from DPMS, RRA, Armalite. I really liked the looks of the Elite operator I handled in one local shop. I'm aware of the proprietary nature of these guns. Just hoping you guys can point out something that may help.

Last edited:
Liking my POF. Mine was >2k here but found NIB around 2100 online. 1st trip out today was very promising with Black Hills Gold 168.

For $2k you could get a dpms, drop in a geissele hs natl match trigger, magpul acs stock, and get a custom spun krieger / bartlein barrel with a matched bolt. Id go that route if you are wanting just all out accuracy.

I had a similar problem as you, I live in Michigan and there are very few ranges that go out past 300 yards. So when I ordered my .308 I decided first what was going to be the primary purpose for this rifle, then I needed to see at what distances I was going to be able to shoot this rifle where I live. So the first answer to your question is YES, you can expect the same accuracy or even better depending on which rifle, scope, and ammo that you use along with having the skills to do it. Second, being that I could not shoot past 300 yards it made no sense to get a high power scope so I went with a 1-6X scope that was a true 1X magnification so I could double it as a Red Dot scope for up close and still hit a human target out to 600+ yards with consistency. Now as far as which rifle, lol you have some choices and you are going to get many different opinions and most if not all will be good ones. This is where I sometimes need to step back, like many who love their rifle and think it is best it is more important to find the one that fits you the best so take note of all the different rifles that are suggested and try to see which fits you best and suits you're needs.

Hard to beat this one for the price, even comes with a Geiselle trigger installed.
https://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/38AEA9A.htm

38AEA9A-2.jpg

If accuracy is your primary issue.....paper punching and contentment of small tight groups;
and if you like cool,new looks, clean running without hiccups, and 7.8 pounds empty......................Scar 17s
So wait , and save another 1000...no buyers remorse. If thats not you, don't never field, fondle or fire one; ever, cause there are few second bests.

Nice job of understatement.

I use a Sig Sauer 716 with a Vortex 4-16x. I can shoot sub MOA all day, and I am not a good shooter. Haha! It has a great 1:10 hammer forged barrel. Shoots 168 BTHP like a champ.

I would consider one. They are under your $2000 and are very reliable. They sling brass. And when I say sling, I mean sling. The gas piston system really pushes the casing out and slams the next round in. I turned mine down and the brass still ends up 10 to 15 feet away.

As for accuracy, the .308 will be on par with the 5.56. There are ups and downs to both rounds but all things considered, the accuracy is comparable.

This is all my opinion of course. The best thing to do is hold them and or shoot them if you can.

P.S. The DPMS would be easier to customize. It is the most popular configuration. The RR and Armalite "can" be harder to find parts for.

I have several 308 AR 10 platforms and none have yet beat the groups I get with my 2 Noveske N4's or my 2 RRA AR 15's. I rarely shoot past 300 yards and once a year @ 600 yards. At 600 yards the LMT MWS and the DPMS SASS shoot tighter groups. But nothing beats my AIAW.

talk with the guys at Rainier Arms. They are great and will carry just about anything you need to build one from scratch. That's what I do that way you get exactly what you want. I would go the LR 308 platform over the Rock River are the Armalite. They're just more options and they are much more plentiful. Built mine getting all parts from Rainier Arms including their 20 inch ultra match 308 barrel. We just BS ammo it will shoot one minute of angle. Finally got around to load some handloads specifically for that rifle did not fire them yet though. I plan on doing that tomorrow. Good luck

talk with the guys at Rainier Arms. They are great and will carry just about anything you need to build one from scratch. That's what I do that way you get exactly what you want. I would go the LR 308 platform over the Rock River are the Armalite. They're just more options and they are much more plentiful. Built mine getting all parts from Rainier Arms including their 20 inch ultra match 308 barrel. We just BS ammo it will shoot one minute of angle. Finally got around to load some handloads specifically for that rifle did not fire them yet though. I plan on doing that tomorrow. Good luck

Best advice so far.

I've got a GAP-10 and love it. Place your order now and spend the next year saving up the difference while you wait for it to be built. HAHA! Seriously, there's a good reason they're backlogged that much.

ShortStrokeGasPiston plus another $1000 while attempting laser accuracy is no way to go through life son.

2e21847-300x224.gif

EDIT: sometimes I'm too mean even for myself.

Last edited:
Some good options. Last year, I went with a build on a Mega Arms MATEN ambi upper/lower set. Rainier supplied most of the parts, including an Ultramatch barrel. I went with a JP low-mass BCG and Silent Capture Spring as well as an adjustable gas block. I won't knock anybody else's choice, but it shot really well for a grand less than some options.