• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help with stock/bottom metal

clrblu22

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2014
PNW
I'm in the process of building a switch-barrel (swap-barrel) rifle that will be used primarily for hunting, so I'd like to save as much weight as possible.

I've got a Bighorn TL3 SA on order and will be mating it with a Proof Carbon barrel and a Trigger Tech trigger.

My question is: Which Vertical Grip, Carbon Fiber Stock and bottom metal would you choose and why?

I'm currently considering a Manners EH-1, McMillan A3 Edge Sporter or a Stocky's LRCF VG2 - and have no good choices yet for AICS capable bottom metal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I like the Curtis Custom for lighter weight and its flush fitting. Combined with their mag you have a great setup for the woods. I have both in hand if you're interested

Reactions: clrblu22
What about adding the mini chassis to the manners? Take's AICS mags. Won't need to bed the action.

I have a EH1 with CIP length mini chassis on order for my 28 nosler hunting rifle.

I have an EH-1 with mini chassis on order to use as a crossover for hunting/target shooting. Weight was a factor for me,but not the whole equation. Best I can tell it should be around 38-40 ounces with the chassis. When I did the math it wasn't too much worse than the regular stock with the DBM added, but I don't have it yet to confirm. Main advantage for me was that I expected to change between a few barrels and it's harder to mess up the mini chassis than a bedding job when changing over.

That being said, on a dedicated hunting rig where weight is a main factor, EH-1 in an ADL configuration all the way (assuming you like the EH-1). Manners has some other lighter stocks but they have slightly more traditional grips and size limitations on barrels.

I like the Curtis Custom for lighter weight and its flush fitting. Combined with their mag you have a great setup for the woods. I have both in hand if you're interested
Thanks for the recommendation on the Curtis custom! I had yet to look at their stuff, but I think that will work perfectly. Now I just need to figure out the stock.

I have an EH-1 with mini chassis on order to use as a crossover for hunting/target shooting. Weight was a factor for me,but not the whole equation. Best I can tell it should be around 38-40 ounces with the chassis. When I did the math it wasn't too much worse than the regular stock with the DBM added, but I don't have it yet to confirm. Main advantage for me was that I expected to change between a few barrels and it's harder to mess up the mini chassis than a bedding job when changing over.

That being said, on a dedicated hunting rig where weight is a main factor, EH-1 in an ADL configuration all the way (assuming you like the EH-1). Manners has some other lighter stocks but they have slightly more traditional grips and size limitations on barrels.
What's the rest of your build? and what do you think the finished weight will be? I'm trying to get as close to 9lbs. finished as I can.

I have a Vortex AMG for glass, which is about 28oz's not including the rings. If I can keep the stock as close to 2lbs as possible, I should be able to achieve my goal.

Not sure on the barrel or caliber for hunting. I picked up a Nightforce SHV for the range, depending on the terrain might swap it out for something lighter for hunting.

If you're really shooting for 9 pounds with an AMG op top I'd really recommend the lightest stock you can find with an ADL style blind magazine. A DBM adds 4-5 ounces and then add in 5-6 ounces for a five round AICS magazine.

Since mine is more of a crossover I'll wait until I have all the other parts and then decide what contour I can get without making it too heavy to carry. I had to accept compromise in trying to only change a barrel for hunting. I'll carry more weight than with a dedicated hunting rig, but I'm hoping being able to practice with the same stock, scope, trigger etc (without the cost of two custom guns) will be worth it. Little bit extra cardio wouldn't kill me either.

What's the rest of your build? and what do you think the finished weight will be? I'm trying to get as close to 9lbs. finished as I can.

I have a Vortex AMG for glass, which is about 28oz's not including the rings. If I can keep the stock as close to 2lbs as possible, I should be able to achieve my goal.

Fwiw: the rifle I was talking about above is a bighorn long action, proof 26" sendaro, krg bravo (website says 2.9 lbs, but not sure if that's for short or long action), vortex amg, and arc rings. And all of that together is 11 lbs with no magazine or bullets in it.

Last edited: