• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need help with Thunderbeast Magnus SR

Justin.Burdette

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
Recently mounted a Thunderbeast Magnus SR on my bergara hmr .308 with a Nightforce NX8 4-32. Before putting on the can I got a zero with just the brake, decent sub moa 5 shot groups X5 just to see if anything was wonky. When I put on the can I had to bottom out my elevation and was still 2.8mil high at 100. I have no idea what was causing this I was running a ATS turner. Took it off re-mounted the brake last night and repeated the same process this morning same result. I am stumped

Cans will almost always cause a different poi then without a can.

2.8 mils seems extreme but it's possible. How did it group with the can in?

Assuming when you say you bottomed out your travel your slipped your zero stop to the bottom of the travel?

Reactions: Justin.Burdette
Cans will almost always cause a different poi then without a can.

2.8 mils seems extreme but it's possible. How did it group with the can in?

Assuming when you say you bottomed out your travel your slipped your zero stop to the bottom of the travel?
Bottomed out the zero stop, and this is the only suppressor I've shot with this extreme of a poi shift. The can that was on it before was .1mil low in shift repeatable. It didn't group at all with the can on 2in group was the best I managed with the can. No baffle strikes or anything wonky like that. It also shot the same with and without the tuner installed

Using the supplied shims, peel washer type took off .004 to get it timed right

Cool cool. Yea man I would try like my boy long range 338 suggested and flip it. If the results in fact change 180 it's that brake and I would hit up tbac and see if they can swap it.

Cool cool. Yea man I would try like my boy long range 338 suggested and flip it. If the results in fact change 180 it's that brake and I would hit up tbac and see if they can swap it.
What made me question it is the gun shoots good without the can but once I get some time I'll flip it 180 and see what happens

Reactions: Huskydriver
99% of alignment issues are caused by bad muzzle threads.
I figured if it was an alignment issue I would be getting baffle strikes. I cleaned the threads and timed the brake using the instructions on the back of the packaging and per website instructions. Went out and put on my old muzzledevice and can back on this afternoon. Back to sub moa groups and zero issues. Rifle shot fine with just the bare sr brake issues arose when mounting the can

If you want us to debug it, please send it in via an RMA. The more pieces we have (barrel, brake, can), the better we can find the root cause. All cans have their runout checked when put on a reference mount during manufacture.
I have no way of getting the barrel off easily no gunsmiths local to me and I don't have the tools needed I'll probably just leave it in the safe

Give us a call on Monday and we'll go through some other debug steps short of sending the barreled action in
Appreciate it I don't have the time at all during the week to troubleshoot it. I'll just leave my other can on and let the tbac live in the safe

Appreciate it I don't have the time at all during the week to troubleshoot it. I'll just leave my other can on and let the tbac live in the safe
You don't have time to unscrew 2-3 bolts and toss something in a box with some bubble-wrap and drop it at UPS?

Seems like an expensive paperweight to let it just live in your safe with nothing to use it on, considering they're offering to help completely debug the whole damn rifle and can setup for you...

What???? That's insane. You have a problem that makes it unusable, and you have a company that is going to fix it and ship it on them. Dude, I'm a super busy guy with little kids and all. You can find time to put it in a box and drop it off. That's nuts

Reactions: DIBBS and Dendro
Found the time to post here…
Because Saturday is my only day free from obligations sorry I don't have time to live at the range. Plus you would think a 2k suppressor would have been good from the get go I'll send my mount and can back through the rma process I don't have the time for anything else

You don't have time to unscrew 2-3 bolts and toss something in a box with some bubble-wrap and drop it at UPS?

Seems like an expensive paperweight to let it just live in your safe with nothing to use it on, considering they're offering to help completely debug the whole damn rifle and can setup for you...
If I had the time I would since I don't I won't. I also don't have the time to wait for my one rifle I hunt plink with when I have a little free time to be gone for a month

What???? That's insane. You have a problem that makes it unusable, and you have a company that is going to fix it and ship it on them. Dude, I'm a super busy guy with little kids and all. You can find time to put it in a box and drop it off. That's nuts
It's also the one decent rifle I own that I do everything with. I don't have time to sit and wait for my rifle to come back.

It's also the one decent rifle I own that I do everything with. I don't have time to sit and wait for my rifle to come back.
I get that, i do but Tbac has an outstanding rep, I'd bet they figure it out and have your rifle back pretty quickly. Sorry but it seems absolutely nuts to just stick it in the safe and forget about it, considering what we all pay and go through to get a can.

Reactions: DIBBS and FuhQ
I get that, i do but Tbac has an outstanding rep, I'd bet they figure it out and have your rifle back pretty quickly. Sorry but it seems absolutely nuts to just stick it in the safe and forget about it, considering what we all pay and go through to get a can.
I won it in a raffle so I'm not out alot I'll probably throw it on some cheap 300bo bolt gun

I'll send my mount and can back through the rma process I don't have the time for anything else
If you send in the mount and brake, we will put a piece of bar stock in the lathe, thread it fresh, mount the brake on it while still in the lathe, and put the can on it, and measure runout. That will show one of them as the problem, or eliminate them.