• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report need help with wyoming hunt and ballistics!!!!!!

airborne6.8

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
OK
Im going on a elk and mule deer hunt in the Jackson hole area in 11 days.. i have a 338 rum that i am pushing 300 gr bergers out of at 2750 fps... I live in oklahoma where our altitude is around 741 above sea level.. i have shot out to 1250 yards. with a zero at 200 yards... how far off will my zero be at 10000 feet above seal level at the hunting area and how much will it affect my trajectory? is there any way to calculate new range card? thanks for the help...

so far i have

yards clicks
340 12
418 20
500 24
600 38
700 49
800 60
900 75
1000 88
1250 135

Re: need help with wyoming hunt and ballistics!!!!!!

Go here and you can enter all the variables you are asking and you will find most, if not all of the info that you are seeking. Good luck in the grizz country!

iv used the calculators before maybe its my stupid ass but they only get close to the actual clicks.. and i have to play with the bullet speed but it still never its the right spot where the stars aline.. im a doing something wrong??

Well if you have an accurate BC of the bullet, MV, temp, baro pressure, humidity, and elevation then you should be able to get results to within a half MOA +/- or at least that is my experience with them. The best data is to just go shoot at all the ranges you want to be accurate at and record all of the above info and use it for future reference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: airborne307th</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> how far off will my zero be at 10000 feet above seal level at the hunting area and how much will it affect my trajectory? is there any way to calculate new range card? thanks for the help...

</div></div>

Your zero at 200y won't change much but all the rest will.
Are you going to hunting at 10,000 ASL? That is above the treeline I think.

Go to JBM and run numbers with diffrent pressure and temps

im not sure about the 10000 it was a guess.. i have played with the velocity setting and have it where it lines up with what i know is accurate.. so i guess i can use the jbm, for the new altitude....and hopefully its accurate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: airborne307th</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not sure about the 10000 it was a guess.. i have played with the velocity setting and have it where it lines up with what i know is accurate.. so i guess i can use the jbm, for the new altitude....and hopefully its accurate </div></div>

Please read this:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/topics/elevation.shtml

It tells you how to do what you want.

Also, the trajectory cards have the zero conditions built in and will calculate drop for the shooting conditions.

Brad

might figure about 8000' to 8500' for an average.

Jackson is about 6300' if I remember correctly.

you could find elk at the 6300' just as easy as 8000' range.

What scope are you using? What are the adjustments in?

I might be able to run some numbers and e-mail them to you.

Send me a PM if you want me to. I'll need the BC though. I don't seem to have it on my ballistic calculator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">might figure about 8000' to 8500' for an average.

Jackson is about 6300' if I remember correctly.

you could find elk at the 6300' just as easy as 8000' range.

</div></div> +1 on those numbers. Unless you're hitting the Winds you would generally be above 6500 but below 9000...probably well below, although this whole region has had warm weather (not like OK weather, but warm enough to keep animals up high).

Read up on the ballistics calculator inputs, esp. elevation. Your bullet will drop much less at 6000-8500' higher. For ethical shots on elk...really no more than 400 yards and nothing too high or low angle beyond 300...you could use 7500' as an average. But I'm concerned that's too simplistic.

Anyone else??

Not sure how far you plan to shoot, but it's likely you'll be able to get within 300 yards or so. I would set it up for maximum point blank range and that will probably cover it. You could do some hold over beyond that. Long range shooting at plates in unknown conditions is one thing, while taking unfamiliar long shots at game animals is another. Wyoming can be a bit breezy at times, too, although the Jackson area isn't as bad as further east, so that may factor into what you would consider as a high percentage shot.

Good luck! I'll be wandering around after mule deer in Nevada the next couple of weekends with my wife and kids, too, and know how much fun it is to get ready for some hunting.