• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help!!

Tom

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
Hey Everyone, yes it's another person new to the precision shooting world. My name is Tom and I have been shooting various rifles for years, mainly ar15's. Well aside from my lever guns, I wanted some more variety. I have a 700 sps tactical on the way (yes I'm replacing the stock)

In fairly stuck trying to pick out some glass. First I was dead set on the zeiss conquest hd5 series. Then came the swfa ss 5-20x50mm, now I'm kinda liking the idea of a fixed leupold mark 4 10x40mm LR/T m3

You folks would know than me as I am COMPLETELY new to this kind of shooting. I know to not go cheap on the glass, you get what you pay for and it's better to get it right the first time. What would you recommend for a new shooter? Fixed or variable? Or just any specific models you highly recommend, I'm open to anything. I want something rock solid that I know won't break.

My price range is $1500. I don't really want to go higher than that.

Thanks!
-Tom

You can get this fine Sightron SIII 8-32 for under 900 bucks, very nice scope.
hegOPWe.jpg

How do you know the sightron is a very nice scope? I know you haven't used it.

For the amount of money you are willing to spend you could get a number of nice FFP scopes. It seems like you are looking in the right mag range. You definetly don't need an 8-32 power scope. I would look at the 4-16 PST, the SWFA 5-20, or you could probably watch on here and get a used NF F1 for just over your price range.

get you a used nightforce if you don't like it shortly after you've bought It you can resell it and prolly get your money back

Is the swfa a solid scope? I've heard they are right up there with nightforce but swfa manages to keep the price low because they are the manufacturer and the distributer.

And thanks for that link Jimmy, it was a good read.

It seems like a fixed power would be a solid choice cause the can take a beating and they seem fairly simple with minimal adjustments, correct me If I'm wrong. This rifle will be bouncing around on a 4 wheeler with me quite a bit.
And I'll most likely only be shooting 300-500 yards with it

Tom, IMO the best value scope on the market is the Vortex Razor HD, 5-20. Go with the EBR-3 MRAD. The next best is the Bushnell Elite 3-20. If you won't go for either of those, get the SWFA 5-20 HD.

All of these scopes are FFP and are extremely high quality. The warranty on the Vortex is unbeatable. If you want to get scopes any better than these, you have to start looking at S&B, Premier, and USO. They are right at the limit of your budget, maybe just a little bit more for the Razor.

LCDR, the Vortex Razor looks very nice, however 2500 is more than I'm looking to spend. The swfa 5-20 HD Is looking like the winner unless I decide on a 10x40

Thanks!

before you go looking at scopes, wht kinda range are you goin to push the remy. then youll see how much internal adjustment you need and can narrow it down. also FFP or SFP. im a firm believer in Vortex. the quality is there and the warranty is unbeatable.

bward, How do you know how much Ive used my Sightron? Just cuz we have 60 Plus inches of snow here in central Wis doesnt mean I havent shot the 6 Creed yet. Matter of fact, shot it after I got it back from Chad last Nov., 24 shots that day, then the range closed before deer season, The Sightron worked just fine, outstanding clarity/resolution, didnt do the box test but i managed to zero the rig at 300yds with no issues, that 2moa reticle is pretty sweet, btw.

Gixxer, the rifle will primarily be used for 300-500 yard shots. 600 maximum

you might want to consider the 4x16 pst. I find that i like a little more magnification rather than not having enough. A fixed 10 power is good but i've found I like the variability and if you are looking through glass to spot your target sometimes its easier to find it on a lower power then zoom in. If your max is only 600 yards i don't think you would need much more than the 16x. best of luck and welcome to the hide.

And for what its worth the newer sightrons are pretty good scopes as well and will be within your budget. I dont think they offer a FFP though.

Gixxer, the rifle will primarily be used for 300-500 yard shots. 600 maximum

ok so most entry level glass will suit your needs just perfect. i tell all new rifle shooters tht when the wife is watching grey anatomy or whtever girly shows download a ballistic app and play with the numbers. shooter is 10 bux i believe. this way your not just buying a scope to buy a scope. another thing to research is if you wana get adjustments in MILs or MOA. lets narrow this down before we start throwing names out so you understand why you need tht scope instead of ...dam it looks cool.

bward, How do you know how much Ive used my Sightron? Just cuz we have 60 Plus inches of snow here in central Wis doesnt mean I havent shot the 6 Creed yet. Matter of fact, shot it after I got it back from Chad last Nov., 24 shots that day, then the range closed before deer season, The Sightron worked just fine, outstanding clarity/resolution, didnt do the box test but i managed to zero the rig at 300yds with no issues, that 2moa reticle is pretty sweet, btw.

24 shots and you think that constitutes being able to say a scope is a good one. Maybe 2000-3000 before you can actually start to make that call.

Last edited:
millet 6-25x56 lrs1, pretty descent scope for the money, that is what i have on my .338 lapua mag rifle

24 shots and you think that constitutes being able to say a scope is a good one. Maybe 2000-3000 before you can actually start to make that call.

So you're saying the sight picture will get better or worse the more I shoot the rifle? Really? Ive been shooting my other rifles with the same Burris Signature for years and they look just as good as the day I bought them, so...........

So you're saying the sight picture will get better or worse the more I shoot the rifle? Really? Ive been shooting my other rifles with the same Burris Signature for years and they look just as good as the day I bought them, so...........
You just named one of the least important aspects of a scope. Think durability, tracking, repeatability... All things that make or break a scope. IOR's have a great sight picture, better than your beloved Sightron, but you'll never see many at a match because they can't be trusted.

You just named one of the least important aspects of a scope. Think durability, tracking, repeatability... All things that make or break a scope. IOR's have a great sight picture, better than your beloved Sightron, but you'll never see many at a match because they can't be trusted.

Got ya, I should say it seems like a good scope, time will tell. The reason I got the Sightron in the first place was it was highly suggested by fellow Hiders.

Just an update for you guys! I placed my order today. I went with a Leupold mark 4 LR/T 10x40. I decided on the model that came with the m1 turrets for 1/4 moa adjustments as opposed to the m3 turrets. I also went with badger ordanance 30mm m40a3 rings, and a LaRue base.

All excellent companies and I feel confident in my purchases. My one friend has been giving me a lot of crap for going with a fixed power scope. It's just my preference.