• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help!!

NWASC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
West Fork, Arkansas
Gentleman I need help deciding what caliber to make my new rifle this will be built on a Savage 110 action that has been trued and timed bbl will be a shilen match grade stainless in a #7 contour 28" in length trigger will be a Sharp Shooter competition trigger base will be a warne maxima tactical 0 moa with a Falcon 4-14FFP stock for now is a Choate Ulitmate Sniper but will be converted to a Mcmillan as soon as funds allow it any and all input will be greatly appreciated thanks for your time

Chris

Re: Need help!!

300 Winchester Magnum....way better bullet selection for the 308 cal and actually if I remember correctly it has better energy than the 338WM, much better ballistics and the LApua Mag is so expensive you will probably kick yourself for building it because you would go broke shooting it....I shoot 180gr Sierra gamekings for .60 per round. In my 300WM I get 3050 fps avg with a 25 inch barrel....and that is not pushing hard at all.

good point on the 300WM but i already have one of those.. im looking to build another gun but as i said your opinions are important here.. Thanks for the input guys

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWASC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good point on the 300WM but i already have one of those.. im looking to build another gun but as i said your opinions are important here.. Thanks for the input guys

Chris </div></div>

If you already have a 300 WM, then the next step is at least a 338 LM, although a 375/408 may be a better option, if money is not an issue. You don't have that option, so I am just saying.

If you could and one. The 338 ultra mag if reloaded can just about match the 338 laupa and allot less money per shot. With the 250gr 3,000fps and a bc of 550 to 850.How can you go wrong?

Ahhhh, now I see. Hmmmmmm............

NO!! NO!!!! I must resist thinking about it!!!!!!!
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

Just me but what will be the purpose of the rifle, if it is just punching hole, hunting, service rifle ??? that will help a lot to try to help you chamber choice....
6.5x284norma is not bad too just less donwrange performance but fly so well....

let us know...