• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need input on 6.5 Grendel: Howa Mini-Action or Precision Firearms Terminus II

Tailwater

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2017
North Texas
I've decided to purchase a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun and have narrowed it down to the Howa 20" heavy barrel and the PF Terminus w/Criterion barrel (22" or 24" standard Palma). I'm shooting on an 800yd range with lots of open space. I'm not a competition shooter. Howa seems to get a lot of love and I read good things about Precision Firearms. Is the Terminus the no-brainer choice? What am I missing? Any advice appreciated.

I vote PF only because you can more easily find parts and swap stuff out later on. But if im going to be spending around $1800 (price of a Terminus 2) I would personally start looking at custom actions rather than blueprinted 700s. Note I have very little experience with Howa.

My howa mini is hands down my favorite rifle that I own. With 120gr SMKs over 28.5 varget, I get sub MOA groups easily, and it is such a light and handy rifle that its just so much fun to use.

I vote PF only because you can more easily find parts and swap stuff out later on. But if im going to be spending around $1800 (price of a Terminus 2) I would personally start looking at custom actions rather than blueprinted 700s. Note I have very little experience with Howa.
I'm up for doing more research. Any recommendations for custom action makers that I should contact?

CZ makes some great mini action rifles CZ527 In Grendel or 7.62x39 and is in my opionion better than Howa ,but Howa you can get barreled actions cheap so if budget is tight would go with howa and rathe rspend the rest on glass.
Terminius seems to use 'trued' Rem 700 action so a short action wihtout a right boltface.

Howa triggers kinda suck and not much aftermarket gear exists , CZ ,Trigger and singlestack mags are great of the bat.

CZ makes some great mini action rifles CZ527 In Grendel or 7.62x39 and is in my opionion better than Howa ,but Howa you can get barreled actions cheap so if budget is tight would go with howa and rathe rspend the rest on glass.
Terminius seems to use 'trued' Rem 700 action so a short action wihtout a right boltface.

Howa triggers kinda suck and not much aftermarket gear exists , CZ ,Trigger and singlestack mags are great of the bat.
I started out looking for a CZ527 in Grendel but couldn't find one so kinda of gave up. You know a dealer that I can call?

In my experiences in dealing with them, PF definitely isn’t all that and a bag of chips worth the extra money and ridiculously long wait times.

Not really, for 6.5 Creedmoor you can use a standard short action, standard bolt, standard magazine without spacers and many more off the shelf pre-fit barrels.

Lots more choice and you can build it out of a catalog.

It's easier.

Not really, for 6.5 Creedmoor you can use a standard short action, standard bolt, standard magazine without spacers and many more off the shelf pre-fit barrels.

Lots more choice and you can build it out of a catalog.

It's easier.

I get the impression the OP wants a Grendel, not a Creedmoor. Otherwise, he'd have responded to your posts, and he'd be asking about a Creedmoor.....

Dave

This falls under the "what am I missing?" part.
Honestly I've been in the AR camp for a few years and mostly shooting suppressed with gas piston guns. Was heading towards a 6.5 Grendel gas gun for more reach than my 5.56. I thought a bolt gun would be fun. I understand that 6.5 creedmoor has a lot going for it but just wanted to try the Grendel. This is all part of a learning process for me. I don't reload so I'm confined to off the shelf ammo. Appreciate all the comments.

6.5 Grendle is a round designed for the AR15 platform. Take the platform away and it makes far less sense.

You actually have to put more money and effort in to making a rifle with a big step down in ballistics.

The only thing you gain is that it's maybe 1" shorter, it might weigh a few ounces less and the cheapest box ammo might be a few cents cheaper.

6.5 Grendle is a round designed for the AR15 platform. Take the platform away and it makes far less sense.

You actually have to put more money and effort in to making a rifle with a big step down in ballistics.

The only thing you gain is that it's maybe 1" shorter, it might weigh a few ounces less and the cheapest box ammo might be a few cents cheaper.
I hear what you're saying and can't disagree with the logic. Thanks for your comments.