• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Input on Home Internet/Wifi (rural area)

When it works like it should, 10mbps is fine and does everything we want. I tested my cell phone this morning in my living room and it was only getting 7 and when the tech was here two weeks ago it was 10, but that only lasts for a few days.

Sounds like a mesh system and a better router is gonna be the ticket. Hopefully the RC-AP56 will hold us over until that point.

Question:
I only have on box that century link uses, which I believe is the modem and router together. I would need CL to come out and take that away and just give me a standard modem right? Then I use my own supplied router and mesh network to do the wireless in the house.
Am I off on that?

Side Note: I knew I could count on the precision rifle guys to also be tech guys lol... Don't ask this question on the SASS/CAS forum haha

It requires contacting century link for the true admin credentials for the gateway and you would enable "bridge mode" which will basically disable the router function and make it into the equivalent of a modem. You can run a router behind a gateway but it creates what is called a "double NAT" condition which adds complexity and a lot of headaches if you don't know how to adjust things to deal with it.

Reactions: Gustav7
It requires contacting century link for the true admin credentials for the gateway and you would enable "bridge mode" which will basically disable the router function and make it into the equivalent of a modem. You can run a router behind a gateway but it creates what is called a "double NAT" condition which adds complexity and a lot of headaches if you don't know how to adjust things to deal with it.

That makes sense.

I've heard Linksys be mentioned here as a router...

Any recommendations for an aftermarket router? My max internet is 10mbps so it doesn't need to be fancy. If this repeater thing works, then we may not even try, but it does seem like my router sucks more and more. May talk to CL and see if they'll replace it. IF not we may just get a newer one ourselves. Its been around 5-6mbps the last few days and doesn't seem to wanna speed up at all.