• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need input

_shawn_

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
Ft worth, tx
here's what my target looked like at 100 yards. trying to decide what charge to use right now. charges went from 56.2 to 58.2 in .3 increments. the 57.1 gr and the 58.3 gr look to be about the best to me but wondered what the hide had to say

IMAG0011.jpg

they're all 5 shot groups but the first 2 shots of the 57.1 had a bad section of backstop behind them so i had to move over. the missing 2 shots are slightly higher(maybe a 1/4") then the last 3

also i'm having an issue with bipod hop. when fired the rifle coes straight back but when it rebounds off my shoulder it tends to hop around. am i not square enough with the rifle?

Re: need input

oh and here's my brass at 58.3. i don't see any signs of pressure but i'm still new at this. what do ya'll think? 2 of the guys i shot with today have been reloading for 30 years and they couldn't believe i was over book max with this brass.

PC040079.jpg

PC040080.jpg

The brass is not showing signs of pressure. But it is cold outside and it might at the same chage weight in the summertime.
Primers are nice and rounded, little cratering, no soot around the sealing walls.

However the double ring at the base of the case indicates that this brass was fired in a different gun with the chamber cut slightly differently. Not a problem, its just still visible.

I like the 57.1 (with disclaimer) and the 58.x where you can't see the x on the target. The rest of the targets are showing problems of body position and maybe some triger finger issues. Suggest more practice. In order to be in a position to dial in a load, you and the gun have to have come to terms with each other (that means you have to adjust to him, or adjust him) so that you can see subtle differences in group size. Most of your groups are simply too large to "read" much out of.

Finally, it is always good to know the caliber, gun, and loading components when asking a question like this. I am assuming 30-06 by the charge weight and the size of the bullet holes.

not really cold out. it was low to mid 70's. don't know what to say about the double ring because this brass has only been shot out of this gun. it's a 03a3 in 30-06. the bullets are nosler 150gr ballistic tip hunting bullets with federal 210 primers and imr 4350

i really need to watch the online training but i haven't had the time yet and i'm trying to get this rifle ready to go hunting next weekend. loaded up 25 rounds of the 58.3 to dial in the scope, see where it shot at 50 and 200 with the 100 yard zero and get a little more practice.

i think my biggest problem is the scope is too far forward and i have to adjust a few times till i get the proper eye relief and the comb is way too low so my head is in a different position every time i pull the trigger. after the holidays i'm going to order a better stock with an adjustable cheek piece, a picanny rail style mount if i can find 1 that will fit on the 03a3, and get a decent scope instead of this 15 year old leupold 3-9. don't get me wrong the leupold is a great scope but the 9 power is very limiting especially with my screwed up eyes. so once i have those issues fixed hopefully i'll get better body/rifle placement.

also hopefully after the holidays i can find some folks to shoot with occasionally who can give me some tips. when i shot archery tournaments if i didn't have a buddy to critique me when i was shooting i'd video myself so i could see what i was doing wrong so i could fix it the next time i practiced.

anyways i know i have alot to learn and alot to fix but i'm doing the best i can on a very limited budget

oh and here's a 4 shot group i did just before i left the range after the 25 rounds i loaded to zero the scope and get some practice. the first 3 shots are the nice tight little group with the flier off on the right a couple inches. don't know how the flier happened because that's the only 1 i tossed in the 16 rounds i shot at this target

IMAG0012.jpg

the other holes in the lower right and left corners where from sighting in