• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need IR or Thermal advice

deathdealer2

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2009
Vernon Tx
Can Gen3 or 4 be used on moonless nights? Are they comparable to Thermal? if not, what would a good thermal scope cost? Thanks

Re: Need IR or Thermal advice

Isn't thermal almost prohibitively expensive, like 10k +?

the 3's and 4's work best w/moonlight

thermal just shows contrast and movement

thermal stuff is pricey.

btw i tend to travel though vernon often this time of year

B-trip,

I concede that I have absolutely zero knowledge about night vision. In a nutshell, can you explain the difference between gen 3 and 4?

Gen 3 is excellent. From my experience, 2+ is good enough for hunting, general use. Gen 3 is appreciably clearer, but I think I could identify animals as well with 2+ out to a couple hundred yards.

My comparison is only from a couple units, so it is not very broad.

I would love to try thermal. I understand that the clarity is not there, but to be able to scan areas and see any life would be very useful, it seems, at least.

I got a chance to play with thermal. After that experience, I wish I could afford one. IMO, NV and thermal complement one another. NV for seeing your surroundings and traversing, thermal to ID stuff you might have missed with the NV, especially if you are unfamiliar with the terrain. Nice thing about thermal is you can use it in the daytime.

A good thermal setup can be used in leu of a NV. Everything gives off a different heat signature, trees, grass, dirt road, field, animal, etc. The trick is to have a good enough quality to pick up these slight differences. And the good ones make it easy to see areas/objects.

But, good thermals are VERY expencive.

For all around use, NV is probably the way to go. Its only downside is that it can not pick up an animal behind objects (animal in tall grass) where a thermal will. But with an IR torch, you can extend its range pretty far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B-trip,

I concede that I have absolutely zero knowledge about night vision. In a nutshell, can you explain the difference between gen 3 and 4?</div></div>

No such thing as 4th generation nv.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">B-trip,

I concede that I have absolutely zero knowledge about night vision. In a nutshell, can you explain the difference between gen 3 and 4?</div></div>

No such thing as 4th generation nv. </div></div>

+1 no such thing. More marketing hype from ATN and others.

A good versatile, somewhat cheaper AND available to civilians compared to most thermal systems, is the TAM-14. It can be weapon mounted, hand held or helmet mounted if need be. Thermal advantages are they can see through rain, fog or smoke where normal NV is rendered useless. Their disadvantage is they lack the overall resolution vs. their NV counterparts. There are "hybrid" systems that do both that are VERY expensive but still lack the overall true resolution of a dedicated NV intensifer tube, but they're getting there.