• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need MAC computer help (with regards to FFS)

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
My PC recently died and per a decision quite a long time ago that at the death of my Pc I'd switch to Mac.

I have and there's a little more learning curve than I suspected buy I'm managing fine.
But like I said My PC died and now I need to reinstall my Field Firing Solutions as well as My PDA driver software. But hey, they are windows based and this is Mac. Can it be done? What do I need to do, or download or what?

Thanks.
Tres

Re: Need MAC computer help (with regards to FFS)

Get a copy of Windows, use Boot Camp and set up a dual boot machine.

In boot camp you install Windows and then when you start the computer hold the Option Key down at Start Up, you'll have a Choice to Run OSX or Windows, choose Windows, install FFS and then when you want you can switch back and forth.

Or you can buy Parallels and run it at the same time, but you still need a copy of Windows to set up a virtual machine

Het thanks LL!

"buy parallels" ?? What is parallels?

My old Toshiba that died came with a complete factory reboot disk with all the factory OS, applications and programs. Could I pull the windows XP off that rom to do as you instruct here?

Much appreciation,
Tres

Found the Parallels software.

Dang, XP os is expensive.

Thanks,
Tres

had Parallels on my Mac here at work,,,, slowed the fu&ker down sooo bad. Only used it to retrieve files.

Better to run VMWare and run a virtual windows inside of your mac than to have two partitions.

MAC's are easy to figure out, you'll have it down in an hour - they're designed for that.

Power wise they run better partitioned, the new Parallels is faster, but still slow, same with VM Ware, they bog the system down terribly, at least in my experience.

if you're using it for FFS, you're not using it for email, web surfing, etc, so the security risk should be small, and you can make the partition small as FFS takes up very little room.

I have an iMac dual bootable and only turn it on in Windows to make changes to the PDA and then its off, I don't use it beyond the ballistic program.

I'd use VMware Fusion; I've never had an issue with it impacting performance (Note: I'm also a VMware Consultant so I'm not exactly unbiased, but in all seriousness I've never had a single issue. If you need help getting things set up, feel free to PM me)

Another option is to buy a really cheap laptop and use that for your Windows interaction.
You can find them for less than $200, and they will work fine for what you have to do.
Just search "cheap laptops"
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another option is to buy a really cheap laptop and use that for your Windows interaction.
You can find them for less than $200, and they will work fine for what you have to do.
Just search "cheap laptops"
smile.gif

</div></div>

I'd look at something like a netbook for that.
I have one of the Dell Inspiron 10' models that I picked up for $150 that will do it with ease. Darned thing will even output 1080P to my 24" display and runs remarkably fast.

Thanks guys.

The number 1 rule in this is a CHEAP ASS solution. I just put all my pocket monies as well as my little savings into this shiny white machine in front of me. I have been in a constant job search for two years- and to be computerless is almost to be dead in the water when it comes to applying with companies now days. So the machine was justified, but i'm damn tired of buying gas with change.....

My best offer thus far is a legit copy of XP with license for $75 and go the bootcamp route. But at the moment- the $75 might as well literally be $750...

Edit: Mechanic has been most gracious to speak with me on the phone, give me a education, inform me I have a legit paid for FULL version of XP, and he's gonna hook me up with the proper install rom. We gots good people on this here board!

Thanks Mech!